• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2011-2012 Horizon League Men's Basketball Season Champions

Started by MattCarter, February 21, 2012, 10:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattCarter

Just wanted that title up in the forum.  Felt good to type that.  :thumbsup:
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

valpospartan

RS

valpopal

Congratulations to the team! It was great to see the announcement congratulating the team on winning the conference shown on the new message scoreboard after the game. I must admit they have surpassed my expectations. I had this team improving during the season, but preparing to challenge for the conference championship in the 2012-2013 season.

I just looked at the board's prediction thread back in the beginning of November, where I said "I would be especially pleased if the team won 20 games." It didn't look like anybody predicted a regular season championship, and the highest number of conference wins I saw predicted by anyone on the board was 12.

Therefore, all of us have to be happy with where Bryce has led the team this season. The regular season championship should secure Ryan as Player of the Year and Bryce as Coach of the Year. It will be interesting to see the tournament played in Valpo, and there will be some comfort in knowing that an NIT bid is locked up, with another banner to finally be raised in the ARC, no matter what happens in the tournament, though an NCAA banner would look even better. In any case, considering my prediction, I regard everything from here on out as a bonus.

2012 Crusaders earn the Horizon League title

covufan

Congrats to the team!  Looking forward to viewing the tournament on our own floor!

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on February 21, 2012, 11:39:38 PMThe regular season championship should secure Ryan as Player of the Year and Bryce as Coach of the Year.

Yeah, I suppose that's likely; ballots are already out, apparently.  Not sure when they're due.

At the moment Ryan seems to sit third in scoring (15.1, behind Detroit's Mc Callum at 15.2, and Perry @ YSU 16.4), while KVW is 6th at 14.3.

Ryan's first at 8.4 rebounds, ahead of 7.9 Brown @ Green Bay, several tied at 7.2 (including Averkamp from Loyola, closest to Ryan's pts-rebounds stats at 4th, T3rd).  Ryan's eleven double-doubles are far and away the most, with Brown's six coming next.

McCallum's only third in assists (Buggs 6th).

Ryan sits 6th in 3P%, KVW still leads in overall FG%.  Broekhoff 6th in FT%, McCallum 8th.

So, just by the numbers, and by virtue of winning the conference, Broekhoff seems to have an excellent shot.

Does KVW have enough to also make first team?  Will anyone make second, except KVW if he misses first?

KVW was in a stronger position before his injury, while Edwards' recent burst (5 pts in 14 minutes last night, aside) may have come too late in the season.

vu72

I see KVW as a second teamer with no one else getting recognition. I suppose that Richie Edwards may have a shot at the all newcomer team or the 6th man award.  Grady is probably the favorite for the 6th man award but Richie compares favorably.  He is averaging 9.6 ppg and 3.2 boards, in 17.3 minutes.  Grady is averaging 9.0 ppg and 6.2 boards but in 21.3 minutes. Richie also leads our team with hitting 43.2% from the 3.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on February 22, 2012, 10:56:19 AMI suppose that Richie Edwards may have a shot at the all newcomer team or the 6th man award.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about those.  A case could probably, indeed, be made for Edwards for 6th man, or all-newcomer, based on end of conference-play performance (and that's what's on everyone's mind, right?  aside from statistics).

Maybe Bogan for all-newcomer?  We had several making significant contributions, but it's a bit unfortunate (for these end-of-season awards, if nothing else), that the work was shared out amongst many players.

valpotx

If Edwards had played all year even 2/3 as well as he did over the last few weeks, he would be Newcomer of the Year.

Congratus guys on the title, now don't settle for anything less than an NCAA berth!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on February 22, 2012, 10:56:19 AM
I see KVW as a second teamer with no one else getting recognition. I suppose that Richie Edwards may have a shot at the all newcomer team or the 6th man award.  Grady is probably the favorite for the 6th man award but Richie compares favorably.  He is averaging 9.6 ppg and 3.2 boards, in 17.3 minutes.  Grady is averaging 9.0 ppg and 6.2 boards but in 21.3 minutes. Richie also leads our team with hitting 43.2% from the 3.

I agree with this. Bryce: Coach of the Year; Ryan: Player of the Year; Kevin: Second Team All-Conference. I think Grady is a lock for Sixth Man of the Year. Edwards would have had a chance but developed too late in the season.

valpopal

Quote from: MattCarter on February 21, 2012, 10:19:09 PM

I just wish RLH was here to appreciate the championship as well. He'd have a big smile on his face.

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on February 22, 2012, 01:07:11 PM

I just wish RLH was here to appreciate the championship as well. He'd have a big smile on his face.
You better believe it.  Maybe he was giving us a little help....
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

Since we're talking season awards again, does solidifying the HL title cement Ryan as Horizon League MVP, as well as Player of the Year, or do any of you say Ryan as MVP, but still have someone else potentially taking POY over Ryan? I know I give Ryan MVP because he was most valuable to us winning the league regular season title, and I have him as POY, but there are still a few players that could sneak in something in the final regular season games to steal the POY from him. I haven't looked to see who has that potential yet, but the POY is still up for debate, in my opinion.

agibson

Quote from: valporun on February 22, 2012, 02:11:33 PMI know I give Ryan MVP because he was most valuable to us winning the league regular season title, and I have him as POY,

Is this for your own personal set of awards?

Or does the league actually give a separate MVP and POY award?  I thought it was just 1st team, 2nd team, all-newcomer team, 6th men, and maybe a defensive player of the year.  With one player singled out from the 1st team and all-newcomer team as best overall, and best newcomer.  But, I'm not coming up with the full list, quickly, by google.

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on February 22, 2012, 01:36:53 PM
Quote from: valpopal on February 22, 2012, 01:07:11 PM

You better believe it.  Maybe he was giving us a little help....

Amen. You know RLH was watching every second and beaming with pride.

milanmiracle

I have to admit, I am certainly surprised with Valpo winning the Horizon League THIS year. Color me impressed! Bryce has done a fantastic job and managed to put together a pretty good squad. Let's hope they can win 2 games and go to the Dance!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vu72

Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2012, 02:41:09 PM
Quote from: valporun on February 22, 2012, 02:11:33 PMI know I give Ryan MVP because he was most valuable to us winning the league regular season title, and I have him as POY,

Is this for your own personal set of awards?

Or does the league actually give a separate MVP and POY award?  I thought it was just 1st team, 2nd team, all-newcomer team, 6th men, and maybe a defensive player of the year.  With one player singled out from the 1st team and all-newcomer team as best overall, and best newcomer.  But, I'm not coming up with the full list, quickly, by google.

Here is the conference release from last year:

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/cole-near-unanimous-player-of-the-year-wins-defensive-player-of-the-year-in-postseason-awards-balloting.html?page=65
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

According to that it's just POY, no MVP, unless I missed something?

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 22, 2012, 02:59:38 PM
According to that it's just POY, no MVP, unless I missed something?

And with a whole defensive team, not just the defensive POY that I mentioned.

FWalum

Wow, I had forgotten that we had just one person, Brandon Woods, win any kind of post season accolades last year.  I think that changes considerably this year.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

I don't see anything about MVP either, so maybe the POY awards doubles as MVP?

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on February 22, 2012, 06:30:14 PM
I don't see anything about MVP either, so maybe the POY awards doubles as MVP?

To be honest, I don't recall seeing anyone at HL HQ discuss "MVP" before at all.  Maybe they avoid the "controversy" altogether ;)

bballraider

Just wanted to congratulate your fans and team on their first basketball league championship. Good Luck in the tourney (unless you meet the Raiders of course).

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 22, 2012, 06:37:09 PMTo be honest, I don't recall seeing anyone at HL HQ discuss "MVP" before at all.  Maybe they avoid the "controversy" altogether

I think I've only heard about it on this message board.  This thread wasn't the first time... maybe it was that Crusader03 character (or whatever his name is with the animations), last time?