• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball Coach

Started by setshot, April 04, 2012, 10:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Wishing Betsy all the best. With her and Lang departing, and freeing up scholarships, it'll be interesting to see which direction the staff goes to shore up our inside game. It's no mystery that we have to do something inside, if we want to compete in this league next season.

LaPorteAveApostle

That's exciting for me to hear, because FGCU's the closest D1 down here--gives me a reason to actually give a you know what about them other than scanning their schedule to see they're not playing anyone I care to see.

Oh, and the irony of having to work the night we were in Miami for the NIT...although, I don't think I could've put them over the top :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpo89

Quote from: jack on May 29, 2012, 07:13:49 AM
Wishing Betsy all the best. With her and Lang departing, and freeing up scholarships, it'll be interesting to see which direction the staff goes to shore up our inside game. It's no mystery that we have to do something inside, if we want to compete in this league next season.
Did you see, hear or do you know that Stefanie Lang is gone? I heard from a person last week who talked to Stef, and there was no indication that she is no longer part of the program.
I'm assuming you're not referring to Gina Lange, correct?

KL31NY

Betsy at FGCU isn't too bad a move. Coming off a conference title and NCAA berth, plus w/ about half the guards gone due to graduation, this could be a nice situation for Betsy to try and make an impact. Plus, she will have Abby Scharlow as company from the coaching staff...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jack

Quote from: Valpo89 on May 29, 2012, 02:04:28 PM
Quote from: jack on May 29, 2012, 07:13:49 AM
Did you see, hear or do you know that Stefanie Lang is gone? I heard from a person last week who talked to Stef, and there was no indication that she is no longer part of the program.
I'm assuming you're not referring to Gina Lange, correct?

It's my "understanding" that the coaching staff will be going in a different direction with regards to Lang. I don't know, nor have I heard anything official to confirm this. I will say, if you look at the new coaches's MO, or approach to coaching, one would get the sense that Lang, and maybe a few others, might just struggle with the conditioning requirements she expects from her teams. I think in the next couple of months, we may see some surprising developments, as we should. To make an omlete, you have to crack an egg. This staff will have their hands full trying to get us back to being a competitive program, and it will require many changes. Some expected, and others, maybe not. Given that we could not continue down the path we were on, we can only support the staff and their decisions, popular or not, and we will always cheer on our lady Crusaders!     

bbtds

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2011-12/11851/katie-loosvelt-completes-womens-hoops-coaching-staff/

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, last Thursday Coach Tracey Dorow named one of her former Ferris State basketball players, Katie Loosvelt, as an assistant coach to her Valpo women's basketball staff. Loosvelt played for Dorow from 2004 to 2008 as a point guard.

VULB#62

Noted her background and experience in conditioning, fitness and nutrition.  Seems to align with Jack's earlier post about Dorow emphasizing conditioning.

jack

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 11, 2012, 08:49:55 AM
Noted her background and experience in conditioning, fitness and nutrition.  Seems to align with Jack's earlier post about Dorow emphasizing conditioning.

She sounds like an interesting fit for this program. She's familiar with the coach, and her style, her expectations, and is all about conditioning, targeted towards the female athlete. I don't think the last point gets stressed enough. There are routines, specific to women basketball players, that is geared towards the way they are built, specifically their hip and knee alignment, which is far different then men players. Many injuries can be avoided with a proper conditioning routine.
A large plus I see with adding her to the mix, is her experience with the guard possition. We are, and will be a guard heavy squad for some years to come. her experiences, along with the four years served under Dorow, should prove to be quite valuable to these young group of guards.
Starting to get ramped up already about the upcoming season!