• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2012 Australian Boomers Squad named.

Started by koala, May 02, 2012, 04:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swiftmutiny

Second game box score: http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/13/05/65/21/20Nj28oIyxPI/

Nothing significant, but Rowdy got a few more minutes and made a couple of buckets. Since they changed arenas for this game it wasn't streamed online, unfortunately.

agibson

[Whoops - I typed this without looking at the second page.  Some of this has already been said.]

Ryan had his first points for the Australia senior national team today against China.  The second of a three game series.

He played eight minutes in their first game.  0/2 (both from 3PT range), a defensive rebound, a foul committed.

And ten minutes today.  1/3 from 3PT range, and 1/2 from the FT line.  Another defensive board, a steal, and another foul committed. 

He might have been 11th of 12 for minutes played, of the 12 on the active roster for this series.  But, it's a start! 

Australia's up two games to nil in the three game series, finishing Wednesday. 

Coach Brown's meant to be there for the last game, Wednesday.  But, Patty Mills won't compete with the team until their last pre-Olympic set of games, against Greece, later this month (June 24-28).

Well done, Ryan!

covufan

StlVUFan

agibson, your namesake is starting guard ;)

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on June 08, 2012, 07:56:09 PM
Times and website for following the Boomers' games.

Times on the http://freezone.iinet.net.au/channels/freezone/sport/boomers-basketball website are American eastern time zone.

Just in case you late nighters like me who don't have much to do this summer want to watch tonight/Friday night (early Saturday) 1 a.m./2 a.m., early Monday - 6 a.m./7 a.m. and early Wednesday - 7 a.m./8 a.m.

Seems like the server's overwhelmed this morning?  Anyone manage to get through?

I'm getting through a _little_ but it's only loading parts of pages, etc.  Anyone have the direct link?

Still no game for me, but maybe this is the direct link?

freezone.iinet.net.au/channels/freezone/sport/boomers-basketball/?player=video/13522

Here we go!  Australia up 64-44, at the end of Q3.

agibson

Broekhoff and Greenwood went in with about five minutes to go.  Ryan had several shots that didn't quite go in (two of  three were put back in by others), and one move to the basket that didn't quite work.  A little tangled up with a loose ball once or twice.

They said that Broekhoff and Greenwood (another college player, if memory serves) were both long shots for the Olympics, but a great honor to play for the green and gold at the senior level, etc.

Funny to see Ryan playing in such a different role.  Off the bench, on the perimeter but not crashing the boards, first down the court instead of last, etc.

Hopefully he'll get some more game time against Greece in a couple of weeks!  We shall see.

In any case, a great accomplishment, and a great experience!

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on June 12, 2012, 11:44:15 PM
agibson, your namesake is starting guard ;)

Heh - yep.  He seems to be making hay while Mills is away.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

swiftmutiny

Congrats to Rowdy! Hopefully he'll get some more minutes against Greece.

---

I'm not going to bother making a new thread for this because I don't have much information... But Vashil Fernandez is playing for Jamaica in the FIBA 2012 Centrobasket Championship. He got his first 2 minutes of playing time during today's game against the Virgin Islands, as he did not get to play in Jamaica's first game against Costa Rica.

Box Score

Also, according to his Twitter page he was hanging out with Usain Bolt a few days ago. Sounds like he's doing pretty well for himself in the off season!

valpospartan

justducky

Quote from: agibson on June 13, 2012, 08:49:20 AMFunny to see Ryan playing in such a different role.  Off the bench, on the perimeter but not crashing the boards, first down the court instead of last, etc.

Ryans opportunity to make this team  has forced him into the role of a true #3 small forward-guard, which is a position that he has played almost not at all so far at Valpo. Since he is not being sent to the offensive glass and from what I have seen has covered people who in general have kept him away from the defensive glass (unless they have beaten him off the dribble); Ryans great strength of
anticipating the location of missed shots has largely been elliminated.

Given that, I am very pleasantly surprised that he is still in the running for a spot on the team. He must be showing the coaches some things in practice that he has not yet been able to fully deliver in those three games. Who knows?

valpotx

Interesting to see that Patrick Ewing's son is playing for Jamaica, as his father did end up playing for the US in spite of being born in Jamaica.  Also, no Mike Rogers?
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

A couple of updates from Australia
http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2517&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=4e40bfa562
http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2520&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=d2feda724d
Ryan's still on the squad, for the training camp ahead of the series in Melbourne against Greece.

A 14 man squad named so far.  Comparing to the roster named for the China series Hugh Greenwood (UNM) and an Australian pro (Khazzouh) are gone with Patty Mills and three European pros (two from Spain, one from Greece) joining.

Australia plays Greece Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday.  7:00 PM in Melbourne, which I think is 4:00 AM here (on the same day of the week).  Apparently the last two games of the series are sold out.

The first game, at least, will apparently stream at
www.freezone.iinet.net.au/channels/freezone/sport/boomers-basketball
(not sure I'm going to catch any of them... 4:00 AM's a bit early for me!).

Sooner or later the Boomers are going to have to add a bio for Ryan.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on June 20, 2012, 10:16:48 PMThe first game, at least, will apparently stream at
www.freezone.iinet.net.au/channels/freezone/sport/boomers-basketball
(not sure I'm going to catch any of them... 4:00 AM's a bit early for me!).

That's 4 a.m. eastern/ 3 a.m. central

Also the website for the Boomers broadcasts is
http://freezone.iinet.net.au/channels/freezone/sport/boomers-basketball

without the http: it didn't work for me.

agibson

Woops!  Sorry about the URL.  I just copied and pasted from a news blurb (Post Trib?) without trying it.  Whether or not you need the http:// is up to your web browser.  That's just telling your browser to look for a web page (and not an ftp file transfer, etc.).  Usually not necessary.

But, the leading www seems invalid.  What works for me right now it http://freezone.iinet.net.au/channels/freezone/sport/boomers-basketball (or freezone.iinet.net.au/channels/freezone/sport/boomers-basketball if you prefer).

But, as for the time, let me show my work ;)

Right now it's 10:20 AM Thursday in Valpo, central daylight time.  And google says it's  1:20 AM Friday in Melbourne.

So, Melbourne's 15 hours ahead of Valpo right now.

So, the game's at 4 AM in Valpo.  15 hours ahead of that is 7 PM in Melbourne.

Do I have that wrong?

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on June 21, 2012, 10:23:52 AM

But, as for the time, let me show my work ;)

Right now it's 10:20 AM Thursday in Valpo, central daylight time.  And google says it's  1:20 AM Friday in Melbourne.

So, Melbourne's 15 hours ahead of Valpo right now.

So, the game's at 4 AM in Valpo.  15 hours ahead of that is 7 PM in Melbourne.

Do I have that wrong?

You are correct! I must have simply calculated the time wrong in Melbourne. I could have sworn it was 14 hours difference.

agibson

Fine.  Either way, too early for my blood!

valpotx

A great accomplishment for him to have been CAP'd at the senior level for a team that actually competes well on an international basis.  I am sure this was a great experience for him as he gets older and more involved with the team :).

Also, Vashil Fernandez's Jamaican team actually won their group in the Central America and Caribbean championships.  This puts them into the final 4 of the tournament, where they may get consideration to play in the 2013 FIBA championship!
"Don't mess with Texas"

koala

He has been named a reserve so if there are any injuries or illness he has a chance to go to London.   He has trained extremelly well and it's a shame he didn't make the team but we are really proud of him and how he has handled and carried himself at the Boomers camp and on and off the court.    :thumbsup:   

vu72

Quote from: koala on June 22, 2012, 07:17:19 PM
He has been named a reserve so if there are any injuries or illness he has a chance to go to London.   He has trained extremelly well and it's a shame he didn't make the team but we are really proud of him and how he has handled and carried himself at the Boomers camp and on and off the court.    :thumbsup:   

:cheers: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Interesting to see how a different country covers sports.  The style is more reserved, but very nice reading.

agibson

Nice piece!

Good of the Frankston Blues to let him train.

And, congratulations to the whole family on the birth!

Australia pasted a young Greek team, winning each of three games handily.  Ryan didn't figure in the box score, so presumably wasn't on the roster?  Maybe it was limited to the same size as the Olympic one.

vu72