• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2012 Australian Boomers Squad named.

Started by koala, May 02, 2012, 04:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

Beat me to it!  Great article, great player.  Can't wait to see if a Valparaiso player can get drafted next year.  Ryan is everything you could want in a wing player: long, athletic, intelligent, quick shot, ability to finish at the rim, can rebound and defend...an all around great team player  :thumbsup:

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on June 28, 2012, 09:51:06 AM
A great piece on Rowdy by Mark Lazerus.  Can't wait for next year!!

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/lazerus/13449412-452/lazerus-valparaisos-ryan-broekhoff-dreaming-big.html

Could post the whole story? It seems the Post-Tribune is now a pay website.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on June 28, 2012, 11:09:32 AM
Quote from: vu72 on June 28, 2012, 09:51:06 AM
A great piece on Rowdy by Mark Lazerus.  Can't wait for next year!!

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/lazerus/13449412-452/lazerus-valparaisos-ryan-broekhoff-dreaming-big.html

Could post the whole story? It seems the Post-Tribune is now a pay website.

Not sure what the problem is as I look at it every day and don't have a pay for view issue.  In any event, here it is:

One year from now — well, 364 days, to be exact — there's an excellent chance that Ryan Broekhoff will be sitting by a television, clutching his phone and waiting for a call that could change his life forever.

The Valparaiso forward laughs off the idea now.

Not because it's far-fetched, mind you, but rather because there's so much to do in the meantime.

"That is such a long way away, with so much work to be done before I even think about that," he wrote in an e-mail from his home in Frankston, Australia. "Obviously, another dream has been to play in the NBA, but that is a long, long, long way off and not a top priority of mine right now. Right now, I'm concerned about getting better and coming back to Valpo for a big final year and another run at the NCAA Tournament."

Note he said "another dream." That's because Broekhoff is currently juggling three dreams — and amazingly has each of them within reach.

Broekhoff spent most of June trying out for the Australian Olympic team (well, that and getting to know his 3-month-old nephew, Riley).

He made it all the way to the final cut, but was one of the last ones left off the 12-man squad that will head to London next month. There's still an outside chance he could be called in as an emergency replacement should the need arise.

At first, he was surprised to even get the e-mailed invitation from head coach Brett Brown while Broekhoff was still in Valparaiso. He didn't even realize Brown was keeping tabs on his exploits with the Crusaders. But once he arrived home Down Under, he quickly showed he belonged while playing with the Boomers — the squad from which the Olympic team is chosen.

So "happy to be here" quickly morphed into "hey, I've got a real shot at this" — which only made the final cut that much more gut-wrenching.

"It was a little hard to take because playing in the Olympics has been a childhood dream of mine, and to be in the final 17 and so close to the final 12 made it hard to take," Broekhoff said. "But I can see now where I need to keep working and improving, and hopefully have a chance to play in the next Olympics."

Hey, Rio de Janeiro in 2016 wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

"Rio sounds amazing, and I will be doing all that I can to be on the Australian men's team for the next few years," he said. "I have a lot of work to still do, but the chance of an Olympic games is great motivation to work hard and improve."

With that dream likely on hold for four years, Broekhoff can now turn his attention back to his senior season at Valparaiso. The reigning Horizon League Player of the Year will come back to a team that is the clear favorite to repeat as league champs — and to break through in the conference tournament — now that Butler has bolted for the Atlantic 10.

And Broekhoff thinks his Olympic tryout experience can only help.

"This has been the hardest I have worked over the summer break due to my opportunity to make the Olympics," he said. "By having this motivation, I have pushed myself harder to improve all areas of my game and come back to Valpo in the best shape of my life. So I'm hoping that all this work is going to pay off."

If it does, and Broekhoff somehow tops his remarkable junior campaign and brings the Crusaders back to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2004, then maybe that third dream — an NBA career — really will happen.

It's been 14 long years since Bryce Drew was selected by the Houston Rockets with the 16th pick in the draft, the only Valparaiso player to make it to the NBA. But it's not a stretch to think Broekhoff can end that drought. The Horizon League has three recent stars currently playing significant minutes in the NBA — Utah's Gordon Hayward, (Butler) Washington's Shelvin Mack (Butler) and Miami's Norris Cole (Cleveland State).

Heck, Cole just won an NBA championship in his first season. The Heat guard averaged 11 minutes per game in the NBA Finals, and was on the court when the last second of the season ticked off the clock.

"I can't say that I was not envious of Norris Cole for the situation he is now," Broekhoff admitted. "To be part of an amazing team with amazing players and win an NBA championship — it doesn't get too much better than that.

"Maybe a medal at the Olympics."

Now, now. One dream at a time. The NCAA Tournament comes first. Then maybe the NBA. Then, off in the distance, Rio awaits.

Amazingly, it's all within reach for Broekhoff, who's just living the dream.

Well, the dreams.

"It does kind of whet the appetite," Broekhoff said of watching Cole celebrate with the Larry O'Brien trophy. "But again, I've got big hopes for my final season at Valpo."

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I viewed the website fine as well, and definitely don't pay for it.  I am very much looking forward to this year and the next 2 seasons after it.  Hopefully we build some nice momentum for a new coach to come in and carry the torch once Bryce is bought by a larger school  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpotx on June 28, 2012, 01:36:00 PM
I viewed the website fine as well, and definitely don't pay for it.

same here.

bbtds

It looks like I have hit a per month quota for visits to the Post-Tribune website. Here is what was in the box that popped up when I clicked on the Broekhoff story:

Thanks for visiting the best online source for local news and information. You have now viewed your 20 free pages of premium content within the 30-day period. For full, unlimited website access, sign up now for an online subscription.

Current newspaper subscribers: Save 66% on a digital subscription if you are already a subscriber to one of our 40 Sun-Times Media newspapers. Unlimited website access is available for $1.99 every four weeks.

Not a newspaper subscriber? An online subscription is available for $6.99 every four weeks with a discount if you subscribe for a year.

As a digital subscriber you will receive unlimited access to all current content for Sun-Times Media websites featuring:

NewsSportsColumnistsBusinessOpinionsLifestylesEntertainmentClassifiedsDeath NoticesBlogsCrosswords and GamesHoroscopesPhoto GalleriesHigh School Sports
Frequently Asked Questions

Have a Press+ Account? Sign In

Next

When I clicked next without selecting a payment option it sent me back to the main home page.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on June 28, 2012, 02:29:48 PM
It looks like I have hit a per month quota for visits to the Post-Tribune website. Here is what was in the box that popped up when I clicked on the Broekhoff story:

Thanks for visiting the best online source for local news and information. You have now viewed your 20 free pages of premium content within the 30-day period. For full, unlimited website access, sign up now for an online subscription.

Current newspaper subscribers: Save 66% on a digital subscription if you are already a subscriber to one of our 40 Sun-Times Media newspapers. Unlimited website access is available for $1.99 every four weeks.

Not a newspaper subscriber? An online subscription is available for $6.99 every four weeks with a discount if you subscribe for a year.

As a digital subscriber you will receive unlimited access to all current content for Sun-Times Media websites featuring:

NewsSportsColumnistsBusinessOpinionsLifestylesEntertainmentClassifiedsDeath NoticesBlogsCrosswords and GamesHoroscopesPhoto GalleriesHigh School Sports

Next

When I clicked next without selecting a payment option it sent me back to the main home page.

that's disappointing to read. seems to me that that's the way the majority of papers are going b/c it's no longer profitable to print the hard copy.

valporun

Quote from: vuweathernerd on June 28, 2012, 02:33:51 PM

Next

« Last Edit: Today at 02:38:03 PM by bbtds »
Report to moderator     Logged
"I've drawn a bit of a blank," Simon Tomlinson of the London Daily Mail
  vuweathernerd
Letterman

Re: 2012 Australian Boomers Squad named.
« Reply #56 on: Today at 02:33:51 PM »
Quote (selected)
Quote from: bbtds on Today at 02:29:48 PM

Not a newspaper subscriber? An online subscription is available for $6.99 every four weeks with a discount if you

Or it's a way to get people to subscribe to the hard copy by making them pay for the online version, which hasn't worked for the small, local papers.

agibson

Great piece. 

A bit sad to hear about the Post Tribune pay wall.  I happily pay my subscription to the NY Times - but I read at least several articles in that every day.

I have a definite interest in the local media, but I'm not sure that it's strong enough to get me to hand over the $$.

I guess 20 articles per month should still cover the Crusaders news?  Might have to be a bit careful.

covufan

Congrats to Ryan on a fine summer!  Hopefully, he'll be able to put this experience to good use next season.  I fully believe that he has a chance at the NBA and the 2016 Olympics.  Good to have goals!

bbtds

By the way, '72, I really appreciated your posting the story for me as it turned out I was the only one who had visited the premium content on the Post Tribune website over 20 times in 30 days. I tend to be a habitual checker for Valpo stories on both the P-T and Times websites.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on June 28, 2012, 10:43:02 PM
By the way, '72, I really appreciated your posting the story for me as it turned out I was the only one who had visited the premium content on the Post Tribune website over 20 times in 30 days. I tend to be a habitual checker for Valpo stories on both the P-T and Times websites.

Happy to do it.  I'm really surprised I've "passed the test" as I also tend to check most every day!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

The post-trib has been like that for about a year, actually.  I go there every day myself.  I don't pay because I can always go to a different computer and see an article if I want to read it.

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Chicago Daily Herald

These are two others that have been like this for some time now.  It's a trend, believe me.  I took the Chicago Sun-Times out of my list of blog sources because it became full-pay and rarely yields anything Horizon League-basketball related (the Chicago papers do a piss-poor job of covering UIC and Loyola men's basketball and pretend UIC and Loyola women's basketball doesn't even exist).

swiftmutiny