• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/19/13 Wright State at Valpo game thread

Started by bbtds, January 14, 2013, 03:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowposter

This might have been the "hardest foul" for VU since Tony Vilcincias. 

I have looked at the video and agree that this was not a flagrant foul.  Hard?  Yes.   

It was brought on by the type of shot (windmill dunk) taken.

agibson

It really seems fishy to me to "blame" Andersen for not putting the ball where Capo expected it.

I don't think Capo planned to miss the ball.  But he was clearly out of control.  You can't blame Andersen for that.  It's not his responsibility to move the ball predictably.

truth219

If the shoe was on the other foot let's say if coleman went for a dunk and anderson fouled the same way...we wouldn't feel bad he got a technical foul....it is what it is...btw bobby looked better with longer hair. Not that I care but he probably wouldn't have been called a goon on whatever that link was

valpotx

If one of our guys was fouled the same way, I would not have minded a flagrant 1 at all.  A flagrant 2 is a bit much, as it is saying that he did not make an active effort for the ball.  Bobby made an effort for the ball, but was too slow to adjust.  It was a hard foul and deserved a flagrant, but a level 1, not 2
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

I am not blaming Andersen and it is obvious Capo just wanted to block the ball and keep him from getting an "and 1".  I just think that making that call on a screen the size of an iPad is not the best policy.   I think the video showing the foul (calling it dirty) actually shows that Capo was swinging for the ball.   I would definitely be happy to see our competition get technicals however, I just want fair and consistent calls...

(Added: if you have "ESPN3 Replay" check out the Minnerath foul on Kevin at 46.8 left in the game.  He hits Kevin in the face (swinging) no stoppage for review...   Why?)

Again - I think we will win Saturday as long as the refs don't call tic-tac $h1t on Kevin.   I think Kevin will bounce back and I don't see anyone else being that tired from the Detroit game.   GO VALPO!!!
(Probably time to prepare for tomorrow - how will Vashil do?)

HC

It was a flagrant 2 no doubt. He didn't mean to get him around the neck but he did and the rules are pretty clear. Still, I loved the hustle and the idea of a hard foul to keep from the emotional high that dunk would've created

bbtds

Valpo worked the ball to Van Wijk really well but on many occasions both Capo and Van Wijk were left wide open under the basket. Capo, when he was in the game, capitalized on those occasions he was left open sometimes. Other times he threw up shots too slowly or did not put himself in a position to score. Van Wijk on the other hand, in this game, almost always took advantage of being open and squared himself up to the basket and made great plays to score. Kevin really had a great night.

You won't see Billy Donlon, who is a much much better coach than Ray McCallum, leaving Van Wijk that open. Valpo should be able to hold down Wright State defensively enough to not need Van Wijk to score that many points. The key for the Crusaders will be to not turn the ball over as much as they did against Detroit. Of course if Matt Kenney and Will Bogan can hit 5 threes between them that will go a long way in helping Valpo win too.

bbtds

Quote from: HC on January 18, 2013, 09:28:13 PM
It was a flagrant 2 no doubt. He didn't mean to get him around the neck but he did and the rules are pretty clear. Still, I loved the hustle and the idea of a hard foul to keep from the emotional high that dunk would've created

I agree. It was a flangrant 2 because Capo just didn't control himself well enough and hit Anderson high in the neck. I think if the collision would have happened closer to the basket while Anderson was actually coming down with the ball for the dunk the refs might have only called a flagrant 1.

I also loved the fact that Capo hustled back and did what he had to do to stop Anderson from slamming. It said to the whole Detroit team, coaching staff and fans that Valpo said "NO, NOT AGAINST VALPO!" "You're not going to celebrate that play and take a bigger lead when we know we can still come back in this game."

HC

Saw Valpo is an 8.5 point favorite. Let's get that cover!

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on January 18, 2013, 10:00:51 PM
First place on the line for the Crusaders

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/first-place-on-the-line-for-crusaders/article_f1cd0a0e-126a-573e-9e7e-e377f4aa2358.html

You think we cover?  Little rest, no Bobby, against a determined and well coach team with 1st place on the line?  I know its at home and we are the better team but with the variables just mentioned, do we win by 9?  I hope so.....
CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

I see that NolansRPI shows Wright State with a 313 SOS rating (Valpo is 246).  Best win was opening day road win against #153 Idaho; losses to #160 Central Michigan (neutral site), #170 Utah and #286 Bowling Green...and a 10-point loss at Cincinnati.  They did beat Loyola... and that's their only win against a team with a winning D-1 record.  They have played 4 teams with RPIs worse that 306.  We've played 1 (UWM, at 308)

Comparing Common opponents... They beat UWM by 2 (Valpo by 24); they beat CSU by 9 (Valpo by 24) and Loyola by 2 (Valpo lost by 9)...I'm thinking the 8-point spread isn't enough... Valpo to cover with room to spare.

Donlon was right... the schedulers were not really kind to them... Valpo tonight; @ Detroit on Monday and @ Youngstown on Wednesday.

Other HL Action today:

ESPN "Game of the week" (cough cough) Cleveland State at Green Bay...     Green Bay by 8
UIC at Detroit....     Detroit starts a new home court win streak... Titans by 6
Youngstown State at Milwaukee... (who cares?)...   'Guins add more misery to UWM...  Youngstown by 22

(Loyola Travels to Chicago State tomorrow on ESPN3)

HC

Agree, they stink at rebounding and shooting. Their defense is not bad, they have only given up 60+ 4 times, they are 2-2 in those game. I think Valpo can easily cover. I think Valpo can get by playing Vashil to rest Kevin or go small and be just fine.

Side note: I think Will Bogan is going to hit 4 3's tonight, probably from the corners, as I think his man will be the one trying to help down on KVW during those pick and roles.

Smj

I have not really been able to watch a Wright State game yet this year.   Limit our turnovers and stay out of foul trouble and I think we will get a "W".  I would love to see a big night from Vashil since we will need him to backup Kevin.   

Our confidence really seems to be growing.  (So important to pull out wins when you aren't supposed to.)

Valposter

Quote from: HC on January 18, 2013, 09:28:13 PM

It wasn't done with intent to harm and it wasn't a cheap shot, but it was a Flagrant 2 as the rules are written.
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

vu72

Think about it--if Anderson wasn't such a hotdog and just layed the ball in, or, heaven forbid, just simply stuffed it in, then--Detroit has one more point (he made one of two on the foul shots) and, we go to OT and then, who knows...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

I just re-watched some of the 2nd half of the Detroit game with particular focus on what Bobby was doing.  He did a lot of good things defensively while he was in there, scored a couple of important hoops, set some hard picks, and of course committed the foul that turned the game.  All of this to say that I am more than a little concerned about not having him available tonight.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on January 19, 2013, 10:04:12 AM
Think about it--if Anderson wasn't such a hotdog and just layed the ball in, or, heaven forbid, just simply stuffed it in, then--Detroit has one more point (he made one of two on the foul shots) and, we go to OT and then, who knows...

Actually, Detroit would have had one more point and Valpo would have had two fewer points because Ryan would not have had the pair of technical free throws from when Calliste said something to Bobby.

valpo4life

Don't be surprised if we see Bobby in uniform tonight. HL Commissioner was at the game in Detroit I believe and if so he saw it all first hand and could take away the one game suspension.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo4life on January 19, 2013, 11:39:11 AM
Don't be surprised if we see Bobby in uniform tonight. HL Commissioner was at the game in Detroit I believe and if so he saw it all first hand and could take away the one game suspension.

Interesting. It never was confirmed that Capo would be suspended for tonight's game. I sure hope Commissioner LeCrone decides against the suspension.

agibson

Quote from: valpo4life on January 19, 2013, 11:39:11 AM

Googling around, some sites seemed to say it was at the league's discretion, some that it was automatic.

Anyone have a definitive source?  I don't know where the HL would announce something like this.  Maybe only to the teams and officials involved?

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on January 18, 2013, 12:46:29 PM
Here is another take from the Detroit perspective on Bobby's foul of Anderson, even calls it "the dirtiest play of the basketball season." Once again, there seems to be no effort to analyze closely and see that Anderson contributed to the collision by attempting the windmill dunk for the ESPN highlights, which also would have been an act of showing up Valpo. Thankfully, Bobby stopped him or else Detroit would have added 2 points, the crowd would have erupted with energy, and Valpo might be demoralized. Thus, this was an important turning point in the game.

Even looking at the clips here, one can see Anderson's attempt to showboat helped create the harsh collision:

http://guyism.com/sports/valparaiso-goons-it-up-in-dirtiest-play-of-the-college-basketball-season.html

This website, Busted Coverage, says "no, Capobianco should not be suspended."

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/01/18/is-this-foul-from-valpos-bobby-capobianco-a-cheap-shot-nope-video/

valpofan11

Quote from: vu72 on January 19, 2013, 10:04:12 AM
I don't care if Anderson is a hotdog, he's the most athletic and exciting player in college basketball and you all can't just hate on him because you think he showboats or he's a thug. I don't think he is, he just does what he needs to do and that is throw it down in your face and get the arena pumped up. His dunks are sick, Bobby deserved to get ejected, stupid foul in my opinion. Let him go instead of endangering the safety of an opposing player. It was a cheapshot, and all the websites are correct by saying it was a cheapshot.

truth219

I'm not concerned if bobby plays or not. I wouldn't mind seeing vashil in there. He handled a nice bounce pass in milwaukee that ended with a dunk. Kevin will be solid and we will get some 3s. We haven't had the arc rockin this year yet and I hope that happens tonight. If the boys can get the crowd into the game that will help their confidence.

ml2

A flagrant 2 foul does not automatically result in a suspension for the next game, unless it involved fighting. Otherwise it is at the discretion of the conference as to whether or not a suspension is warranted. If the conference was going to suspend a player there would be a public announcement about it. The fact that there has been no announcement yet leads me to believe that Bobby will be eligible to play tonight.