• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

would it kill the pep band to learn some new songs!

Started by truth219, January 21, 2013, 04:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

Every game I hear the same 5 songs and its lame....and I personally think the drumline for the starting line up is lame. Last year and years previous they used music through the sound system that was 100 times more exciting than a drumline done by 4 people.

HC

I like the drum line, but agree 100% on wanting to hear something new from the band.

KL31NY

I've gotten over the lack of new songs years ago. My roommate was a drummer during our four years in college, and I occasionally wrote down suggestions based off other pep bands and my own personal taste. Usually the response was something like this: "that won't work" "we won't know how to play it" "we know it, but we just don't play it." I bet anyone paying attention notices the exact same songs for the exact same breaks in the game. They just have been running off a system

Just be glad we have a band at every game. I'm now covering sports at the University of Northern Iowa, and I could probably count the number of pep band appearances at basketball games this season on one hand. They've complained about it for years: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=37789
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

truth219

Id rather hear less pep band and more classic rock through the sound system.

HC

No way! More band new songs please. I don't know if they got in trouble, but I thought it was great last year when the band would come down and point right at the visiting huddle and play something good and loud. Home court advantage.

LaPorteAveApostle

I'm sure as a professional musician I'm biased, but live music is always better.

I'm sure taped highlights would be a better quality than what's on the court most of the time, but we still play live ball.

Plus repetition is what builds tradition.  Take for example Michigan, where "Temptation" (Perry Como) and that one Hawaiian song are like honorary fight songs.  How?  Simple repetition.

(Of course, not everything is good enough to be repeated.)

But pep bands are a large part of what makes college basketball great.  Well, that, and Ryan Broekhoff.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

SadersofthelostArc

Classic rock through the sound system?  Yuck.

A serious college basketball program needs a serious pep band.  And, no, I don't want them playing the "Gangnam Style" or the Gaga.  Just play some different songs, typical old school pep band songs.

HC

The Gaga, love it. I will throw out a request for the old Mario Bros. theme from the video game.

valpopal

Late in the game Saturday night when the Rolling Stones were played on the speaker system, the place was rocking. Of course, that was also when Valpo was making its run. As for the intros: I like the drum line.

truth219

Yea I believe they played satisfaction by the stones it was great. Id prefer the pep band learn some pop hits from the 70s 80s and 90s.....I've heard good versions of any way you want it, africa, and smooth criminal. I'm over carry on wayward son, mortal kombat theme, and make me smile oh and 25 to 6 to 4.

SadersofthelostArc

Mario Bros! SICK idea!  Boop boop boop, bo-doop-do-doop, do do do do do do do do dodo....love that tune. 

HC is the cream of the class around here.

KL31NY

Quote from: HC on January 21, 2013, 06:54:48 PM
I will throw out a request for the old Mario Bros. theme from the video game.
Two themes I wouldn't mind, stuff like "The Simpsons" which has become classic, and speaking of classic- "Batman"
nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah VAL-PO
nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah VAL-PO
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

LaPorteAveApostle

I applied my master's degree in musicology in order to ensure that there were, in fact, the requisite number of "nah"s, no more and no less.

However, instead of "Valpo", let's use "Broekhoff" for the moment.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

truth219

Has anyone ever heard youngstown sts pep band....amazing

LaPorteAveApostle

is that honest or sarcastic?

if it's honest, they do have four times the student pool from which to draw, so...that does make a difference.

truth219

Serious as a heart attack. They really sound awesome.

valporun

Part of the problem with the pep band...it's all student-led, and voluntary.  No auditions to be involved, like many schools, and not a lot of opportunity for rehearsal of new tunes. Yes, they could use some new tunes, but without a set auditioned group and consistent rehearsal time and space, you'll be stuck the same old tunes since the band isn't very big or original.

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, but does YSU Deputy Chief Michael Cretella play the drums with his student pep band?

I doubt it!

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: valporun on January 22, 2013, 04:31:30 PM
Part of the problem with the pep band...it's all student-led, and voluntary.  No auditions to be involved, like many schools, and not a lot of opportunity for rehearsal of new tunes. Yes, they could use some new tunes, but without a set auditioned group and consistent rehearsal time and space, you'll be stuck the same old tunes since the band isn't very big or original.

Good analysis, run.  Now, the question is, "are you listening ml??"  Time to up the ante for those who wanna be a part of the pep band.

a3uge

They need to start paying people to play in the pep band. Give like students like $15 per game, and I'm sure they'll find out how to fill out a proper pep-band with a legitimate trumpet-player-to-clarinet-player ratio. They don't need to give money for every game, but at least the big conference games and certain non-conference games. I think it's also time for a legitimate director and some non-student run organization.

I played the trumpet for 4 years in 2 different bands at Valpo and never played in a pep band game. I showed up to an initial practice freshman year and found the whole thing disorganized and a bit of a joke.

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: a3uge on January 22, 2013, 05:50:09 PM
They need to start paying people to play in the pep band. Give like students like $15 per game, and I'm sure they'll find out how to fill out a proper pep-band with a legitimate trumpet-player-to-clarinet-player ratio. They don't need to give money for every game, but at least the big conference games and certain non-conference games. I think it's also time for a legitimate director and some non-student run organization.

I played the trumpet for 4 years in 2 different bands at Valpo and never played in a pep band game. I showed up to an initial practice freshman year and found the whole thing disorganized and a bit of a joke.

Case in point, ml.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Speaking of sports marketing in the same issue as the article 72 linked, I really like the pic of the tee for the Detroit home game.  Theme is "unfinished business." Really awesome crusader too.

Here's that link:

http://www.valpotorch.com/sports/article_96fc17e2-6731-11e2-ada4-0019bb30f31a.html

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on January 28, 2013, 04:03:02 PMJennifer Garrett is the person who picks the songs, per this article from the Torch: http://www.valpotorch.com/sports/article_412d693c-6737-11e2-b6a1-0019bb30f31a.html

I believe the other person is ValpoFred or something like that from this board.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann