• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Green Bay: Wed. Jan. 29 7 pm

Started by valpopal, January 26, 2014, 04:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Last I checked it doesn't like my iPod.

(No opportunity for a home run pass?  We would also accept a Cokeman alley oop.)

agibson

Or a Coleman swat.

Yeah, we'll take that!

valpotx

That was a fun game to watch, outside of the last 4 minutes of turnovers by our subs.  Hopefully we can build on this game as we head into the second half of conference play! 

Obviously, Brown being out helped us keep a large lead throughout the game, but GB isn't a slouch with it's other players.  I still think we would have won by 8-10 with Brown in the game, as we were just on fire with each shot, even outside of the open paint.  GB appeared lost for most of the game without it's big man, which is understandable with him having played every game in his college career up until this one.  The rematch will be interesting in GB, where we have often struggled.  A 5-3 first half of conference is a good start, and if we do the same in the second half, I would be very happy with a 10-6 conference record.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

4 straight over GB.  5 of 6, of course with last year's 3-peat being the first-ever sweep.

Ironically last loss was 75-60 :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

govalpogo

Timing-wise, this win brings some momentum into a very winnable stretch over the next few games: @UIC, vsDET, vsOAK, and vsUWM.  The Valpo team that showed up for most of tonight could beat anybody, but playing at a human level, it is possible for Valpo to head up to GB at 9-3 to make things interesting for the final weeks of the season.  Let's hope this one gets the boys on track for good!

a3uge

Is the game statistically over yet?

Also, is Green Bay our new Butler? That's 4 in a row now.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 29, 2014, 09:25:35 PM4 straight over GB
Quote from: a3uge on January 29, 2014, 09:48:47 PMAlso, is Green Bay our new Butler? That's 4 in a row now.
COME ON MAN

Quote from: govalpogo on January 29, 2014, 09:44:49 PMa very winnable stretch
Great point...the 4 worst teams in the league, with only the worst on the road. 

Doesn't get a whole lot easier than that.  Meanwhile, GB has 2 games on us, so let's all grit our teeth and hope that WSU can beat them on the road...

AND REMEMBER, 'DEATH FIRST' IS NOT AN OPTION:
Donlon or Wardle?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

DY219

Lexus Williams has a spark at point that can't be matched. Adekoya also was phenomenal!

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

vu72

A terrific game by our schizophrenic team.  Youth will be youth. Still, the play of Adekoya was outstanding and the overall maturity and intensity is growing as we played perhaps our best game against a team without Brown but hardly a small team.

Well done!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

HC

Thanks LAA, those images are now burned into my brain.
Dority > Sykes. I think Dority could put the basketball through my kids little tykes hoop right now. Valpo's on ball and help defense on Sykes was incredible, he and the rest of GB had no chance in the paint.

classof2014

I was at the game tonight and I wasn't disappointed. Did anybody else see the GB player throw Benny the Bull to the ground right before game start or was it just me?

Anyways... great game tonight. LVD looked great tonight, he is confident in everything he does and really took it to Sykes who had an awful 20 points (thanks to FTs), it really seemed like the relentless AIRBALL chants really got under his skin.

Lexus also was great, 5 points and 8 assists, and he hustles on every play. Especially a play that just turned into a jump ball early in the second half seemed to give us energy on a seemingly meaningless play. I really think Lexus is the next Sykes or Perry in this league. He's confident and isn't afraid of anything.

I also though both Jubril and Alec had really good games, both were high in the rebound column too. As well as for Vashil, he has been hot and cold and today he was hot. Had 4 blocks, which is no easy feat.

Great game overall and really embarrassed GB, even with Brown they probably lose by 10 or so instead. We played with energy throughout the whole game. I also loved the animation Bryce showed early in the second half that got a technical.

Overall, this is a grade A performance. Hopefully we can head into Chitown and take it to UIC. It'll be a homecoming of sorts for LVD, Lexus, Jubril, and KC, so I would imagine many family member will be at that game.

talksalot

Quote from: classof2014 on January 29, 2014, 10:22:07 PMI was at the game tonight and I wasn't disappointed. Did anybody else see the GB player throw Benny the Bull to the ground right before game start or was it just me?

Yeh, we saw it at the scorer's table... I think the guy thought he was a crusader mascot and Benny really did interfere with their standard warmups ... but still, absolutely uncalled for behavior.

On the other hand... "Third Times' the charm" for the the behind the back half-court shot.  47' ...nothing but net.   

valpotx

Which GB player did that?  What a d-bag...
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

ValpoFan

This was a fun game to watch. Lavonte is so confident and effective. Most importantly, he is the emotional leader of this group.

Vashil created a no fly zone. While the stats only show 4 blocks, I think he changed 10 others just because GB players saw him there and either didn't take the shot or took an uncomfortable one.

Lexus & Alec are very promising for the future. I hope Bryce can keep recruiting at this level. I can't wait to see them with a year or two of experience under their belts.

Jubril: I don't think too many people appreciate the importance of this guy. He is not the most athletic player, He doesn't have the prettiest shot, and he does not block too many shots. In other words, his work does not show in the box score but man oh man! The guy has the built of an NBA small forward. I had the privilege to watch Lebron James as a HS senior. You can laugh at me if you want, but Jubril is the closest 18 year old kid to that 2002 kid in Akron, OH. The only (and major difference) is that Lebron had a faster first step.

Jubril can guard any opposing player in a HL team, you can't switch on him. He's fast enough to guard the 1 and strong enough to stop the 5. He moves his feet amazingly well and sets incredible screens (or shall I say walls) without fouling. He boxes out and rebounds like a boss. The only thing he needs to work on IMHO is a mid distance jumper.

Chairback

Quote from: valpotx on January 29, 2014, 10:54:50 PM
Which GB player did that?  What a d-bag...

It was #35 Vincent Garrett. It happened right in front of me. Benny was messing with them during their warmup. He was really being annoying and would not stop. He kept trying to take the ball away and then join thier layup line. Garret went after him and someone held him back.  Minutes later he went back at him again and no one stopped him and he grabbed Benny and literally threw him on the floor.  Moussa came by and helped him up.  To be honest I think he got into the GB players heads and they lost focus. I'm surprised valpo and the refs let him be out on the court during warm ups.

wh

The takedown didn't deter Benny much.  As both starting 5's huddled up out on the court just before the opening tip, Benny snuck over to the GB huddle and acted like he was listening in.  Then he scurried over to the Valpo huddle as if to tell them what the GB players were saying.  It did seem a little out of place, but funny nonetheless.  At halftime he hit a half court shot with his back to the basket on about his 3rd attempt.  I've seen that done on video before, but never live.  Pretty amazing! 

classof2014

It was pretty amusing, but it was uncalled for on both sides. The last thing I wanted was them to start the game with free throws because the refs called a technical because the Bulls mascot was disrupting their warmups. I don't blame Garrett for throwing Benny to the ground, I'd be pretty ticked off too if some random mascot tried to disrupt pregame warmups. Nonetheless though, it was uncalled for on both sides.

wh

Comment from a GB fan who sounds frustrated (and maybe just a little insulted) by their loss to "this Valpo team":

I figured that we would lose a game eventually, but not to this Valpo team. If we were to lose tonight, I would have at least expected a close loss. Other than Keifer, no one else showed up. We shouldn't have let this Valpo team shoot that well. It appeared to be a lack of energy and effort......Maybe this loss will be a teaching point that BW will use the rest of the season.

I think we have one more loss in us in the regular season(hopefully if we do, it's against CSU, WSU, or YSU - one of the HL contenders), but if that's the case, we MUST get to the HL tourney final and lose a close one to get an at-large.

Seems that this fellow needs to catch up a little bit, given that we're tied for 2nd with "HL contenders" CSU and WSU and a game ahead of "HL contender" YSU.  ;)

vufan75

Quote from: wh on January 30, 2014, 08:26:05 AM
Comment from a GB fan who sounds frustrated (and maybe just a little insulted) by their loss to "this Valpo team":

I figured that we would lose a game eventually, but not to this Valpo team. If we were to lose tonight, I would have at least expected a close loss. Other than Keifer, no one else showed up. We shouldn't have let this Valpo team shoot that well. It appeared to be a lack of energy and effort......Maybe this loss will be a teaching point that BW will use the rest of the season.

I think we have one more loss in us in the regular season(hopefully if we do, it's against CSU, WSU, or YSU - one of the HL contenders), but if that's the case, we MUST get to the HL tourney final and lose a close one to get an at-large.

Seems that this fellow needs to catch up a little bit, given that we're tied for 2nd with "HL contenders" CSU and WSU and a game ahead of "HL contender" YSU.  ;)

;) Ya think just a bit of sour grapes on the GB fans part.  :'(

Several of the GB fans were upset after their loss to Valpo last year in the HL tourney, and as I recall in reading their message board back then they did not like how Coach Drew threw himself down on the floor in the excitement after our tourney win. They wanted to beat us badly to make up for their losses last season, I think realizing that once Alec Brown is gone to the NBA they become "just another good HL team". GB fans need to understand that their team now has a target on them, and every team will give their best effort against them (sort of like Valpo has seen this season as defending HL champs). Last night Valpo's best effort was very good, and when you shoot a high % like we did, we become pretty tough to beat, especially at home.

I really liked the "fire" Coach Drew came with early in the 2nd half in getting T'eed up. He did not want our guys to relax and let GB back into the game at all. I also liked our determination to go to the rim on offense, instead of settling for jump shots. We forced the action and GB could not handle it last night.

:thumbsup:

Kyle321n

Before the game started LaVonte had to take something off his jersey and it looked like Bobby and Clay also had had to do the same. Does anyone know what that was? It was speculated around me that it was something to do with the All Players United going on in Evanston.

Also here's my recap of the game: http://www.midmajormadness.com/horizon-league/2014/1/30/5360396/green-bay-vs-valparaiso-game-recap-crusaders-dump-brown-phoenix

You may recognize the photog's byline.  Thanks valpopal!
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpopal

Though the absence of Brown may have contributed to the size of the victory, I like that the team recognized what they had to do and performed well. Of course, the offense usually moves through Dority, and he certainly set the tone at the start of the game. It was great to see a strong beginning and first half after so many games where the team dug a hole for itself early on. The players seemed intense throughout the game, especially Bobby, and there was a lot more physical play than the number of fouls suggests.

Adekoya and Williams once again played like veterans rather than freshmen, and their confidence appears to be growing. Alec still hasn't found his long-range shot, but he is a strong presence in the lane and added 7 rebounds. In fact, he only attempted one three-point shot as the whole team seemed determined to work inside.

The big guys (Jubril, Bobby, Moussa, and Vashil) were very effective, especially without Brown in the lineup, as they had a combined 11-14 and 27 points. Williams is non-stop movement on the court, and he controlled himself enough to get 8 assists to only 1 turnover. The defense also played well, especially when you see that Sykes had 5 turnovers. However, Valpo still is making too many turnovers as well—19 in this game leading to a deficit of points off turnovers: 12-19.

The ARC was energized by a crowd that enjoyed the pregame ceremonies; however, the number in attendance was a bit disappointing to me. The attendance was listed at 3524, but the student section, though enthusiastic, wasn't filled.

In a final note, Jordan Coleman might get overlooked in game summaries because he only had 2 points and 4 rebounds in just 17 minutes, but he was working hard and forcing the defenders to focus on him whenever he was in the game, and he took some hard hits that weren't called fouls. I look forward to him regaining his confidence and scoring as the season goes on.

valpopal

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 30, 2014, 09:56:46 AM
You may recognize the photog's byline.  Thanks valpopal!

You're welcome. Anytime!

historyman

Another area that we must improve on is free throws. Valpo ended up 17 for 26 but that was only because some different shooters finally got to the line. If it weren't for Peters, Adekoya, Dority and Carter getting to the line it would have been a lot worse. At one point in the game 7 FT's had been taken by both teams and only 1 FT was made. Early in the game Valpo was 2 for 8 on FT's with Coleman, Gueye and Capo taking the free throws. Normally you would have a lot of confidence that those three players would make their FT's. Yet only Bobby made any FT's and he was only 2 for 5. LaVonte, as usual, led the team by making all 6 of his FT's since he shot all of them in the 2nd half.

The poor FT shooting could have hurt us if Brown had been playing and the score had been closer.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann