• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014 NCAA Tournament

Started by Kyle321n, March 20, 2014, 11:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: vu72 on March 23, 2014, 08:55:47 PM
Creighton losing by 26 to Baylor. With the loss of six seniors including Dougee McBuckets, do they join Butler at the bottom of their league??

Baylor destroyed Creighton by 30 points. Creighton was the Big East's last hope to advance to the Sweet 16 of their 4 entries.

LaPorteAveApostle

Wondering why there's an HL logo in the ULH corner of the court, just in front of TN's bench?

Are we like "host conference" or something?

also, GO BLUE
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

well that was certainly closer than i would have liked.

SIR VIVE & ADD VANCE

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 28, 2014, 08:16:16 PM
Wondering why there's an HL logo in the ULH corner of the court, just in front of TN's bench?

Are we like "host conference" or something?

also, GO BLUE

Yup. Last year in Indy there was a Horizon and IUPUI logo on the same court... Almost gave me a heart attack.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LaPorteAveApostle

how can we be the "host conference" when we don't even...ugh/blerg/yeeeeaarghhh

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 28, 2014, 09:09:17 PM
how can we be the "host conference" when we don't even...ugh/blerg/yeeeeaarghhh

Even have a team in Indy?  League offices are here and they seem interested in continuing to host NCAA games in LOS.  Not sure what it does for the HL in terms of $, but does get some exposure.  The Final Four next year will be hosted by The Horizon League and IUPUI.

historyman

The following are the sites selected to host each round of the 2014 tournament:

First Four
March 18 and 19
University of Dayton Arena, Dayton, Ohio

Second and third rounds
March 20 and 22
First Niagara Center, Buffalo, New York (Host: Canisius College, Niagara University)
BMO Harris Bradley Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Host: Marquette University)
Amway Center, Orlando, Florida (Host: Stetson University)
Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena, Spokane, Washington (Host: Washington State University)

March 21 and 23
PNC Arena, Raleigh, North Carolina (Host: North Carolina State University)
AT&T Center, San Antonio, Texas (Host: University of Texas at San Antonio)
Viejas Arena, San Diego, California (Host: San Diego State University)
Scottrade Center, St. Louis, Missouri (Host: Missouri Valley Conference)

Regional semifinals and finals (Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight)
March 27 and 29
South Regional, FedExForum, Memphis, Tennessee (Host: University of Memphis, American Athletic Conference)
West Regional, Honda Center, Anaheim, California (Host: Big West Conference)

March 28 and 30
East Regional, Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York (Hosts: St. John's University, Big East Conference)
Midwest Regional, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana (Hosts: IUPUI, Horizon League)
National semifinals and championship (Final Four and Championship)

April 5 and 7
AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas (Host: Big 12 Conference)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 28, 2014, 10:08:14 PM

The Final Four next year will be hosted by The Horizon League and IUPUI.

Speaking of IUPUI: word is that Jason Gardner will be named their new head coach.

valporun

Quote from: valpopal on March 28, 2014, 10:34:52 PM

Speaking of IUPUI: word is that Jason Gardner will be named their new head coach.

I received a text from ESPN yesterday saying that IUPUI hired former Arizona point guard and Loyola-Chicago assistant coach, Jason Gardner, as their head coach.

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on March 29, 2014, 09:15:34 PM

I received a text from ESPN yesterday saying that IUPUI hired former Arizona point guard and Loyola-Chicago assistant coach, Jason Gardner, as their head coach.

I once worked with his mother-in-law in Indy. I know one woman whose son-in-law has made her very happy by bringing his wife and kids back to Indy. The Jags will be the theme of her office from now on.

historyman

There is no joy in Michigan
The Mighty big U's have struck out!

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

But, I think the BIG proved it is the best college conference with 3 teams in the elite eight and 1 to the Final Four!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on March 30, 2014, 06:19:00 PMThere is no joy in Michigan
The Mighty big U's have struck out!
I wanted to puke.

Lose the game on a step-back 3 ball from well behind the line?  Just gotta tip your cap...

...except that after Valpo's season I've no cap left to tip.

What a kick in the nuts.

setshot

Hey 72,the SEC has two teams in the final four. :thumbsup:

vu72

Quote from: setshot on March 30, 2014, 09:19:05 PM
Hey 72,the SEC has two teams in the final four. :thumbsup:

Yeah!!  well... :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

The MVC had one team in the final four last year, while the SEC had zero. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a stronger conference....

setshot

IMO it will be an SEC final with Ky. winning it all. :lol:

valpo64

Kentucky's frosh five should be another feather in Callapari's/Kentucky's cap for their graduation rate success...sorry, "big time" college athletics has turned me off...and the soon-to-be pay the athletes, competition for athletes from the "unionized" schools, and it goes on and on..... who knows some schools may even ask their athletes to go to a class or two...give me the mid-majors, Div. 2 and 3 and we can have fun again watching "college" athletics where there really are "student athletes."

valpospartan

zvillehaze

Quote from: a3uge on March 31, 2014, 12:53:15 AM
The MVC had one team in the final four last year, while the SEC had zero. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a stronger conference....

FWIW, the MVC did finish a spot above the SEC last year in conference RPI. 
Quote from: valporun on March 29, 2014, 09:15:34 PM

Call me crazy, but with a recruiter like Gardner and a new facility next year (not to mention new on-campus housing), IUPUI is positioned to make some noise in the Summit.

It doesn't impact Valpo much, but IUPUI could now be in play for Indianapolis kids who might otherwise end up at Ball State, Indiana State or Evansville.

bbtds

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 31, 2014, 07:58:35 PMCall me crazy, but with a recruiter like Gardner and a new facility next year (not to mention new on-campus housing), IUPUI is positioned to make some noise in the Summit.

It doesn't impact Valpo much, but IUPUI could now be in play for Indianapolis kids who might otherwise end up at Ball State, Indiana State or Evansville.

I'm not saying that Gardner won't bring in more Indy players but is the improvement in quality of bringing in the BSU, ISU, E-ville guys from Indy enough for IUPUI to make real noise in the Summit? The Jags may get out of the bottom of the SL but rising to the top of what has become an excellent top of the league in recent years probably won't happen.

milanmiracle

Quote from: bbtds on April 01, 2014, 04:05:14 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on March 31, 2014, 07:58:35 PMCall me crazy, but with a recruiter like Gardner and a new facility next year (not to mention new on-campus housing), IUPUI is positioned to make some noise in the Summit.

I'm not saying that Gardner won't bring in more Indy players but is the improvement in quality of bringing in the BSU, ISU, E-ville guys from Indy enough for IUPUI to make real noise in the Summit? The Jags may get out of the bottom of the SL but rising to the top of what has become an excellent top of the league in recent years probably won't happen.

The advantage here is there's just so much talent and he's got a good reputation in Indy. I still find it amazing that Gary Harris and Zak Irvin couldn't win a sectional at Hamilton SE despite being back to back Mr. Basketballs. Granted Carmel (in their sectional) won the state title back to back, but still. Of course HSE beat Carmel this year to claim the sectional crown after those two left. Too funny.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 31, 2014, 07:58:35 PM
Call me crazy, but with a recruiter like Gardner and a new facility next year (not to mention new on-campus housing), IUPUI is positioned to make some noise in the Summit.

Not crazy at all. As you are well aware, there's enough talent here to be very successful without leaving the donut counties.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

bbtds

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 01, 2014, 11:15:54 PMNot crazy at all. As you are well aware, there's enough talent here to be very successful without leaving the donut counties.

I heard someone call the counties around Indy Johnson, Boone & the 3 H's. (Hancock, Hamilton, Hendricks)

talksalot

I have one word to say about the NCAA brackets this year:    CUBS!