• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Smits Commits to Valpo!

Started by valpopal, October 06, 2014, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Derrik scored 16 points last night to lead Zionsville to a 55-29 victory over Indianapolis Chatard. 

wh

HHR - Jim Reamer @HHR_Reamer  ·  Dec 20
Looks like @SmitsDerrik owns the NCC
0 replies 0 retweets 2 favorites
Reply  Retweet  Favorite2
More
HHR - Jim Reamer retweeted
ZionsvilleBasketball @ZvilleBball  ·  Dec 20
Varsity BBB Final: Zionsville 74 Anderson 60. Smits with 31 points
0 replies 8 retweets 8 favorites
Reply  Retweet8  Favorite8

wh

Derrik named Indiana Player of the Week by Prep Hoops Indiana:

POTW - DERRIK SMITS (2015)

The week four Player of the Week has been awarded to Zionsville senior Derrik Smits.  Smits is the #10 ranked prospect in the Prep Hoops Indiana 2015 rankings.  The 7-0 center has committed to play at Valparaiso next season.

Smits had a great game last week, putting up 33 points as Zionsville defeated Anderson 74-60.  This performance followed a 27 point outing last Saturday in a 67-65 win over Marion.  The son of former NBA player Rik Smits is starting to play at a very high level, and he is showing glimpses of what his game will look like as he keeps progressing.  The mobile big man is off to a fantastic start to the season averaging 19 points, 6.7 rebounds, and 2.8 blocks per game.  Along with this fast start, Derrik has also helped lead the Eagles to a 5-2 record.

http://www.prephoopsindiana.com/news_article/show/460046?referrer_id=1283384

bbtds

I just noticed that most of the games from the Bob Wettig Tournament in Richmond are going to be broadcast live on the internet.

Richmond Red Devil broadcasts Bob Wettig Tournament 1/1/2015 to 1/3/2015

This will include

January 1st, Thursday

Hamilton Heights vs Valpo HS  2:30 p.m. EST from Richmond HS   Richmond Red Devil broadcasts Hamilton Heights vs Valpo 2:30 p.m. Eastern time 1/1/2015

Franklin Central vs Portage  4:00 p.m. EST from Richmond HS   Richmond Red Devil broadcasts Franklin Central vs Portage 4:00 p.m. Eastern time 1/1/2015

Zionsville vs Norwell  8:30 p.m. EST from Richmond HS   Richmond Red Devil broadcasts Zionsville vs Norwell 8:30 p.m. Eastern time 1/1/2015

There will be two other games played by each team on January 2nd and 3rd but they may not be broadcast depending on the results of the previous games.

wh

Zionsville boys carry momentum into break

http://www.timessentinel.com/sports/local_sports/zionsville-boys-carry-momentum-into-break/article_fdd05263-615a-5e2a-8963-2eda4217b586.html

"He is definitely being assertive and demanding the ball. He is starting to play inside a lot and not floating as much. When he seals off down low he is pretty much unguardable."

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on December 27, 2014, 12:08:22 AMHe is starting to play inside a lot and not floating as much.
I can't TELL you how happy that makes me.  If there's one thing that grinds my gears (besides heresy and bad grammar), it's everyone 6'9" and taller that thinks they are Dirk Nowitzki and want to float around the outside taking the 3 ball.

Remember the Maddux/Glavine "chicks dig the long ball" commercial?  That's how the 3 has gotten, which, understandable, but not from the PF/C set.

Atlanta Braves Glavine & Maddux "Chicks Dig the Long Ball"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

LAA, you're correct on this matter. So many teams give up offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points because the offensive motion requires that the PF and C are floating around the perimeter, instead of criss-crossing the rectangle from the rim to about 5' from the rim. So many easy lobs inside for a layup or short jump shot. Instead, a team loses rebounds and has unnecessary fouls because they are playing too far out from the rim. The higher percentage layups and 5-foot shots decrease deficits more than jacking up three pointers in desperation.

humbleopinion

While not advocating for our center to play at the perimeter, I could see advantages for our team.  If the center pulls  the defending center to the outside we have the potential for Alec to post up which should work in our favor.
Beamin' Beacons

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, but the key is he has to be enough of a 3-threat that the other center bothers going out there in the first place...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Valpo HS loses 58-53 in OT to Hamilton Hts at Richmond HS. It was probably the first time I watched the alma mater HS in 20-25 years. I spent 2 years at Valpo HS. Valpo now takes on Greenfield (who luckily wears blue) at 10:30 a.m. EST, tomorrow, 1/2/2015.

It was interesting that the announcers were together for the first 2 games at Richmond HS then were supposed to split up for one game at Richmond and one game at Earlham College. The Valpo/HHHS game goes into OT. So one announcer gets in his car and the first quarter is almost over before he gets through town to Earlham. The Columbus N / Connersville game went announcer-less for most of that first quarter. He opened by saying I know your enjoying this game and you know more about it than I do.

Portage is losing to Franklin Central and Zionsville and Derrik Smits play Norwell at 8:30 p.m. EASTERN time tonight at Richmond HS.

bbtds

If you're looking for the Zionsville vs Norwell game from Richmond the Red Devils game against Indy Tindley is just coming to an end and the Z-Eagles vs Norwell game will be on the same court soon.  (8:32 p.m. Eastern)

EDIT: 1:45 to go in 4th quarter at 8:36 p.m. Eastern.

2nd EDIT: Richmond wins over Tindley and the Zionsville game broadcast will start showing the warm-ups. (8:39 p.m.)

3rd EDIT: game has started. Smits is #24.  8:52 p.m. EASTERN

Valpo89

So TD, will the Valpo High-Greenfield game be online at 9:30 a.m. Central time Friday?
Link?

wh

Quote from: bbtds on December 26, 2014, 12:51:02 AM
I just noticed that most of the games from the Bob Wettig Tournament in Richmond are going to be broadcast live on the internet.

Richmond Red Devil broadcasts Bob Wettig Tournament 1/1/2015 to 1/3/2015

This will include

January 1st, Thursday

Hamilton Heights vs Valpo HS  2:30 p.m. EST from Richmond HS   Richmond Red Devil broadcasts Hamilton Heights vs Valpo 2:30 p.m. Eastern time 1/1/2015

Franklin Central vs Portage  4:00 p.m. EST from Richmond HS   Richmond Red Devil broadcasts Franklin Central vs Portage 4:00 p.m. Eastern time 1/1/2015

Zionsville vs Norwell  8:30 p.m. EST from Richmond HS   Richmond Red Devil broadcasts Zionsville vs Norwell 8:30 p.m. Eastern time 1/1/2015

There will be two other games played by each team on January 2nd and 3rd but they may not be broadcast depending on the results of the previous games.

Derrik's game is on!

wh

Derrik scored a bucket and committed 2 fouls in the first 3 minutes.  He is now on the bench.  His 6-9 sophomore cousin came in for him.

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 01, 2015, 07:46:43 PM
So TD, will the Valpo High-Greenfield game be online at 9:30 a.m. Central time Friday?
Link?

According to the broadcasters, YES they will be doing the Valpo/Greenfield game at 10:30 a.m. EASTERN

They have not shown any of the links for tomorrow's games as of yet.

bbtds

UH OH, both Smits are in foul trouble!!! Add your own emphasiseseses.

Both huge guys out now but Z-Eagles have pushed out to 1 point lead with 2nd quarter with 2 minutes to go.

EDIT: 25-24 at half with Zionsville in lead. Derrik sat out whole 2nd quarter with 2 fouls.

ANOTHER EDIT: Derrik commits 3rd foul on questionable call and sits while his cousin Smits-Francisco comes in. Then S-F commits 3rd foul. Zville down by 3. End of 3rd quarter.

EDIT AGAIN: Derrik back in in 4th quarter--with 3 fouls--multiple points.

ANOTHER EDIT: Zville up by 6 with 4:19 left in 4th quarter. Derrik has 13 points, I believe. He is by far making a huge difference in the game.

EDIT AGAIN: Derrik leaves the game for his cousin up by 11 with 1:07 left.

FINAL SCORE: Zionsville 55, Norwell 42. Smits had 17 points.

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 01, 2015, 07:46:43 PM
Link?
I'm not sure if it is a mistake but the website (Richmond Red Devils Wettig Tournament) is showing the Greenfield Central/Valpo game at 10:30 p.m. EASTERN time for 1/2/2015. They are showing the 9:00 a.m. Connersville vs East Central game and the 12:00 p.m. Portage vs Ft Wayne North game. All games are at Richmond HS so I believe the Valpo game will be played at 9:30 a.m. CENTRAL. The John Harrel website shows the Greenfield/Valpo game at 9:30 a.m. CENTRAL

Richmond Red Devil broadcasts Team 1 Sports Greenfield Central vs Valpo 10:30 p.m. EST 1/2/2015

Richmond Red Devil Team 1 Sports Bob Wettig Tournament 2015 Broadcast Schedule

Richmond Red Devil Team 1 Sports Richmond vs Zionsville 8:30 p.m. Eastern time 1/2/2015

a3uge

I watched on that link for 5 minutes. He seemed pretty pedestrian, and didn't appear to be a high-motor player. My opinion is based on 5 minutes of watching D4 high school basketball, the longest amount of time my body could take.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on January 01, 2015, 11:38:50 PMdidn't appear to be a high-motor player
i would agree, but i would add that most 7-footers, especially at that age, seem that way.  they're kind of like an 8-year old wearing his father's suit, you know?  it'll take 'em a little longer to get where they're going.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 02, 2015, 12:40:26 AM
Quote from: a3uge on January 01, 2015, 11:38:50 PMdidn't appear to be a high-motor player
i would agree, but i would add that most 7-footers, especially at that age, seem that way.  they're kind of like an 8-year old wearing his father's suit, you know?  it'll take 'em a little longer to get where they're going.

He was in constant foul trouble.  He sat out all but 3 minutes of the first half with 2 fouls and sat again in the 3rd quarter after picking up his 3rd foul.  He left the game with a little more than a minute left. Despite never seeming to have been in the game he still managed to score 17 points somewhere along the way.  I like the way he clears space and calls for the ball in the box.  Unlike most white 7-footers, he has good lift.  I see a lot of potential in that young man.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on January 01, 2015, 11:04:53 PMI'm not sure if it is a mistake but the website (Richmond Red Devils Wettig Tournament) is showing the Greenfield Central/Valpo game at 10:30 p.m. EASTERN time for 1/2/2015.

It got corrected to a.m.nstead of p.m.

justducky

Quote from: wh on January 02, 2015, 03:44:05 AMI like the way he clears space and calls for the ball in the box.  Unlike most white 7-footers, he has good lift.  I see a lot of potential in that young man.
Yes his defense within the zone was not particularly impressive and I foresee a lot of foul trouble for his rookie season. On the other hand his contributions on offense might exceed Vashil by the late part of next year and continue to head north from there.

There will be some games in 15-16 where we will wish we still had Vashil but I think that I will be able to accept those disappointments and take the longer term view that "WE GOT OURSELVES A CENTER!!!"  :dance:

Valpo89

Thanks for the links TD. Just watched VHS hold on for a 45-43 win over Greenfield Central, after dropping the heartbreaker on Thursday.

bbtds

Valpo HS barely wins over Greenfield (blue) after almost blowing an 11 point 4th quarter lead, 45-43.

The Vikings advance to play Connersville at 7:00 p.m. EASTERN at Earlham College. That game will also be on live on the internet. Check this schedule Richmond Red Devil Team 1 Sports Bob Wettig Tournament Schedule

The next Zionsville game is 8:30 p.m. EASTERN against the home team Richmond. Richmond Red Devil Team 1 Sports Zionsville vs  Richmond 8:30 p.m. EASTERN 1/2/2015.

I will be out until the 7:00 p.m. Valpo at Oakland game so I will not be posting game times or links the rest of the evening.

valpopal

Quote from: a3uge on January 01, 2015, 11:38:50 PMI watched on that link for 5 minutes. He seemed pretty pedestrian, and didn't appear to be a high-motor player.

Smits did seem to be laboring in the games on Thursday and Friday, though he still scored a combined 36 points in those games; however, it should be noted that Derrik apparently was playing despite having the flu.