• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Greg Tonagel

Started by tiny707, December 21, 2018, 08:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo2013

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 22, 2018, 03:26:43 PM
I think Homer required his players to go to church/chapel on road games. I was with the team in Hawaii in 1995, and I think we went to church together on the Sunday before the tournament began.

Here's a dream staff: Tonagel, Diebler .... and CA!!

Low expectations if our dream staff only composed of former Valpo players ...assuming CA is as well?
Anyway
There are a ton of talented basketball coaches out there that never played or coached at Valpo
Times are changing

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 22, 2018, 03:04:14 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2018, 11:09:46 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on December 21, 2018, 09:00:13 AM
I like Greg and think he's a great coach but as I said before I'm not sure there is a fit there. I don't think he'd be able to run a D1 program the same way he does his IWU program. A certain type of athletes flocks to IWU and I'm not sure D1 recruiting would go as well being run as devoutly religious as his program is run.

Please explain to me what the difference is between the successful program that Bryce Drew ran at Valpo and the successful program Greg Tonagel runs at Indiana Wesleyan as far as being run by an openly Christian coach. How is Tonagel so different than the way Bryce ran his Valpo program?

Both clearly have strong religious convictions. That, of course, is not a problem. Bryce (to my knowledge) never evangelized to his players and never expected or required participation in any religious activities. He never prioritized recruiting players who shared his religious beliefs. From my understanding, Tonagel has done all of this quite a bit at IWU and would continue this at any place he coached.

If Tonagel could make everyone confident that he can separate his role as coach and his religious beliefs, he would be a strong candidate at such a time when there was an opening.

Tonagel wanted the job. He knows exactly how Homer and Bryce operated when they were in charge of the Valpo program and he could see just how much the Valpo administration allowed the Drews to express their Christian beliefs. I don't think Greg would express his interest in the Valpo job unless he fully understood what this side of his life would be allowed at Valpo. I would assume that this would be discussed in the interview process and any issues that might come up about Greg's Christianity would be ironed out at that time. I think we are judging Greg's aptitude for being a head coach way too much on his Christianity. He's a good coach, he is allowed to express his Christianity in a certain way at IWU and I think if there was a problem with that at Valpo Greg would not be given the job.

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo2013 on December 22, 2018, 04:03:27 PM
I like Greg and think he's a great coach but as I said before I'm not sure there is a fit there. I don't think he'd be able to run a D1 program the same way he does his IWU program. A certain type of athletes flocks to IWU and I'm not sure D1 recruiting would go as well being run as devoutly religious as his program is run.

Please explain to me what the difference is between the successful program that Bryce Drew ran at Valpo and the successful program Greg Tonagel runs at Indiana Wesleyan as far as being run by an openly Christian coach. How is Tonagel so different than the way Bryce ran his Valpo program?

Division 1
Bryce played in the NBA
Bryce has a brother and father that have coached in BIG games
For starters

This has nothing to do with the way Greg would express his Christianity if he was given the job at Valpo.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the post game prayer has disappeared at Valpo games since Bryce and Coach Tracey Dorow have left Valpo. Lottich no longer expresses his Christianity in that manner.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2018, 07:22:59 PM
Quote from: Valpo2013 on December 22, 2018, 04:03:27 PM

Division 1
Bryce played in the NBA
Bryce has a brother and father that have coached in BIG games
For starters

This has nothing to do with the way Greg would express his Christianity if he was given the job at Valpo.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the post game prayer has disappeared at Valpo games since Bryce and Coach Tracey Dorow have left Valpo. Lottich no longer expresses his Christianity in that manner.

Have we really stopped the post game prayer on the court? Interesting. Did that end this season? I remember when the team and the student body did it right after that big Rhode Island win a few seasons ago under Coach Lottich.

VUBBFan

https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1076694021458853888

This was after the Ball State game 12/17/18. I have seen this at the end of all our home games this year. Looks like a post game prayer to me. If you attend the games you'll see it. You won't see it on the broadcast in your home.

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2018, 07:13:30 PMTonagel wanted the job.

Sources??

If Greg wanted to interview for the job he could have called Mark LaBarbera and I am pretty sure he would have gotten an interview.  I am not saying he would have gotten the job, just an interview.  Everything that I have heard about Greg tells me that he is very happy were he is at.  The Tom Davis article was an antagonistic piece of journalism.  Tom believed that Greg should have wanted the job.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on December 23, 2018, 01:18:31 AM
Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2018, 07:13:30 PMTonagel wanted the job.

Sources??

If Greg wanted to interview for the job he could have called Mark LaBarbera and I am pretty sure he would have gotten an interview.  I am not saying he would have gotten the job, just an interview.  Everything that I have heard about Greg tells me that he is very happy were he is at.  The Tom Davis article was an antagonistic piece of journalism.  Tom believed that Greg should have wanted the job.

I forgot who said it but I remember hearing the same thing. Apparently Homer vogued for him. I take whatever Tom Davis says with a grain of salt. He's down in Florida, last I heard. Davis just liked stirring the pot and taking shots whenever he could.

Only candidates in house apparently got interviews. We still don't know if Powell turned down the job to follow Bryce. I remember it came down to Lottich and Gore at the end. Luckily Coach Gore stayed on staff and became the associate HC.

Valpo2013

A focus on winning basketball games and less on praying may do us some good

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Valpo2013 on December 23, 2018, 07:03:27 AMA focus on winning basketball games and less on praying may do us some good

Prayer has nothing to do with Lottich and the team's struggle to win games. Homer Scott and Bryce prayed plenty and won plenty.

tiny707

Division II and Division III National Championships are now moving to INDY.

valpo64

I thought I recently heard that either the D-12 or D-3 Finals were coming to Ft.Wayne in a year or two.  Any news on that fw alum?

sliman

Per the NCAA web site, the D II tournament will be in Evansville 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 while the D III tournament will be in Fort Wayne those years.

FWalum

Quote from: valpo64 on January 10, 2019, 01:03:50 PM
I thought I recently heard that either the D-12 or D-3 Finals were coming to Ft.Wayne in a year or two.  Any news on that fw alum?

Visit Fort Wayne
Hosted by Manchester University at the Memorial Coliseum.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: tiny707 on January 10, 2019, 12:31:35 PM
Division II and Division III National Championships are now moving to INDY.

Oh boy!

I always thought the 1.5 hour drive to Dayton for the play-in games might be interesting until I saw the price of a ticket to a Big Dance play-in game. $50 is around the cheapest. A little too much after driving to Dayton to see, at best, 11 seeds play.

I might have to see what kind of price they charge for the Div. I and Div. III national championship games.

EDIT: I now see I might have to drive to Ft Wayne or Evansville for those national championship games too.

FWalum

For the first time, the NCAA Division III Men's Basketball National Championship comes to Fort Wayne at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. The event is hosted by Manchester University and Visit Fort Wayne. The tournament is a 61-team single-elimination tourney, with teams advancing from four regionals, to the semifinals and finals in Fort Wayne.

Friday, March 15: Semifinals at 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. (30 minutes following the conclusion of the first semifinal)
Saturday, March 16: NABC Reese's D3 All Star Game at 4:30 p.m., and Championship Finals at 7:00 p.m.

The best sources of information for NCAA D3 Basketball are www.d3hoops.com and www.d3hoopsville.com.

Ticket prices:
All session tickets (both days):  $26 adults, $16 students/seniors/military, 5 and under is FREE
Single session tickets (one day):  $15.50 adults, $10.50 students/seniors/military, 5 and under is FREE

Groups (10 or more):
All session tickets (both days):  $21 adults, $11 students/seniors/military
Single session tickets (one day):  $13.50 adults, $8.50 students/seniors/military

PARKING
CASH ONLY & SINGLE ENTRY
$6 MAIN LOT; $10 PREFERRED LOT; $18 BUS/RV

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on January 12, 2019, 12:08:46 AM
For the first time, the NCAA Division III Men's Basketball National Championship comes to Fort Wayne at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. The event is hosted by Manchester University and Visit Fort Wayne. The tournament is a 61-team single-elimination tourney, with teams advancing from four regionals, to the semifinals and finals in Fort Wayne.

Friday, March 15: Semifinals at 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. (30 minutes following the conclusion of the first semifinal)
Saturday, March 16: NABC Reese's D3 All Star Game at 4:30 p.m., and Championship Finals at 7:00 p.m.

The best sources of information for NCAA D3 Basketball are www.d3hoops.com and www.d3hoopsville.com.

Ticket prices:
All session tickets (both days):  $26 adults, $16 students/seniors/military, 5 and under is FREE
Single session tickets (one day):  $15.50 adults, $10.50 students/seniors/military, 5 and under is FREE

Groups (10 or more):
All session tickets (both days):  $21 adults, $11 students/seniors/military
Single session tickets (one day):  $13.50 adults, $8.50 students/seniors/military

PARKING
CASH ONLY & SINGLE ENTRY
$6 MAIN LOT; $10 PREFERRED LOT; $18 BUS/RV

Thanks for that information.  I'm sure all your spelling was perfect. :-)

tiny707

IWU wins first game in playoffs...

GoldenCrusader87

Guess we made the right choice after all with hiring Matt. You are all loving it, or at least trusting the process.

M

Hopefully he keeps winning...now where is that emoji of the guy beating the dead horse??

bbtds

Quote from: M on March 06, 2019, 08:14:17 PM
Hopefully he keeps winning...now where is that emoji of the guy beating the dead horse??

How about just a dead horse?

tiny707

Round two victory for IWU...made last second three to win 87-86.

GoldenCrusader87

Let's go, Greg! T-T-T-Time for Tonagel!

VU2014

Isn't there a IWU fan message board somewhere. I wish him luck but Greg won't be coming here anytime in the near future. So let's just give this thread a rest.

truth219

He might be here sooner or later

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

tiny707

....should we still give this thread a rest?