• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Hypothetical Situation - Bryce???

Started by VU2010, January 30, 2019, 08:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2010

So, several folks have brought up how Vandy is 0-7 in the conference thus far... on an 8-game losing streak, etc.

Let's say ... hypothetically ... Vandy lets him go. What are the chances that he - in that scenario - would entertain the offer of coming home???

Or, would it be MUCH more likely that another power 5 school picks him up?

Note: I DO NOT foresee any of this happening as I think Vandy knows how fortunate they are to have him. Just curious.

VU2014

I don't see Bryce ever coming back home to coach Valpo.

valpotx

Never, and I wouldn't want to see it.  We need to create an identity outside of the Drews, and I believe that they are aware of it, as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Just Sayin

crusader05

only way a Drew returns to coach at Valpo is if it's toward the end of a long career.

Honestly the best thing the Drews could do for Valpo is to not come back and coach but continue to be successful out there and become strong monetary supporters of their Former home that provided Homer the opportunity to utilize our basketball program as a training ground for his entire family.

VU2010

Alrighty then ... a resounding no.

I mean yes - I'd love for them to be donors. That would be fantastic.

Look at the bright side, if/when any of them do come back for a visit ... at least they'll feel right at home: "Wow, it's like nothing has changed. Same seats, same tile on the walls, same sound system, same concession stands, still no AC, etc."

"It's like we're back in 1998!"

oklahomamick

Unfortunately not Bryce....but wouldn't mind some of his coaching staff coming back.  Obviously Powell would be great at Valpo and so would Jake Diebler 
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpo89

For what it's worth, I've heard Bryce's Aberdeen house never sold and it's not even for sale any more. :)

crusader05

I'd take Diebler back eventually but I'm a no on Powell. I've heard heard from some people that the way he conducted himself as Bryce was leaving to Vandy that put me off, including some ways in which he tried to get Alec to leave that put the Peters family off.

valpo64

Please let's get over Bryce Drew.  He is gone, not coming back, did serve us well,  and the Drew Family Outing is OVER at our dear Valpo  Get over it folks!  He is now pretty much a veteran coach and now we have a younger coach learning the ropes as the head man .  Let's get behind Matt and forget the past.

bigmosmithfan1

Look, all of you make some great points. And the scenario where even discussion of something like this scenario could come into play is HIGHLY unlikely.
(You'd need Lottich either doing so well he gets hired away or he trends in the wrong direction so much that VU making is a much tougher decision for the first time in 40+ years, all happening AT THE EXACT SAME TIME that Bryce, despite a plethora of highly-touted recruits heading to Nashville, continues to struggle to the point where the Vandy AD decides to eat a whole lotta money and cut bait on his contract.)

If said unlikely string of events were to defy all odds and line up perfectly, then folks, VU would be derelict in their duties if they aren't at least making a phone call to the coach with the best winning percentage in school history -- whose number still hangs in the rafters -- to gauge interest. I mean, come on.

Yes, it's well past time to move on. And this would almost certainly never, ever happen. But if it did, you'd have to at least do your due diligence. 

VU2010

Let's say Valpo and Vandy lose out... don't think that would happen but let's say it does ... that year could be this year ... just saying lol.

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

crusadermoe

....So you're telling me there's a chance!.....   ;)    ---Lloyd Christmas

usc4valpo

in the words of Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars .....'ummm, no"

FWalum

Quote from: valpo64 on January 31, 2019, 11:32:19 AM
Please let's get over Bryce Drew.  He is gone, not coming back, did serve us well,  and the Drew Family Outing is OVER at our dear Valpo  Get over it folks!  He is now pretty much a veteran coach and now we have a younger coach learning the ropes as the head man .  Let's get behind Matt and forget the past.
Amen.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2010

No other Dumb & Dumber movie remake will ever be as good as the original - classic!

VU2014

Quote from: valpo84 on January 31, 2019, 08:27:42 PM
If LeBron was welcomed back ....

I want to be very upfront and say I don't think he'll ever coach Valpo ever again but I think the Valpo administration would welcome him back if he made it very clear he'd never want to leave and this was his last job. I don't think that's Bryce's mindset and I don't think he'd want the reputation of, "well he couldn't make it as a Power Conference coach, so he came home to take a more manageable job." Nobody wants to come home live with their parents after a career or life "failure" (I don't think he will fail at Vandy and that's a pretty unfair assessment for this profession but some would see it that way). Another thing to keep in mind was that there was that persistent rumor that his wife want to move back down to the south. (Not sure if it was true or not). I don't think the Valpo admin would fire Lottich to welcome back Bryce. That wouldn't be fair to Lottich.

I think Bryce will be fine at Vandy and have 10 year run there. He's have a rough moment there now because things like injuries and a young roster but he's a good coach and he'll turn things around there.