• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women’s Basketball 2019-2020

Started by IndyValpo, June 10, 2019, 10:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Lost to Illinois State(r) last night in what I thought would be a winnable game at home especially for this Valpo WBB team.

ISUr has an incredibly talented player in #11 Tete Maggett from North Chicago, who scored 26, is quick, can shoot and defend. in the first quarter Lexi Wallen scored 12 points to finish the quarter and put the Redbirds ahead by 10, 21-11.

The final score was 72-60.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/tete-maggett-illinois-state-women-s-basketball-defeat-valparaiso/article_e4bed0f8-3136-5efc-b60d-171fea9a7f9f.html

NativeCheesehead

Watched a couple games this year and attended the one last night. The difference was the 27-8 rebounding margin in the first half. We have no real post player and we're way too reliant on the 3. But we're only in year two of the Evans era and there are many encouraging signs. Just being competitive in most games is a huge upgrade over the Dorow years.  Really looking forward to seeing the next couple of years.

valpotx

If you are a fan of amazing comebacks, and terrible FT shooting down the stretch by a Valpo opponent, you need to watch the replay of the last 5 minutes of game play from tonight's game against Loyola!  One hell of a comeback against a quality opponent!

Loyola's HC can be as mad as she wants at the refs, but they can only blame their crappy FT shooting.  I can only imagine how pissed at her players she is going to be in the locker room, after this one...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

This program is steadily getting better! This is wonderful to see! Great job Ladies!

NativeCheesehead

What are the odds the women's team has a higher seed than the men for the tournament?

VUGrad1314

I don't know... Probably pretty good but the MVC on the women's side is no joke this year I think it's the best of the non high major conferences this year.

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 24, 2020, 08:32:27 PMWhat are the odds the women's team has a higher seed than the men for the tournament?

I could see the girls reaching 7 wins and 8 might happen. 9 would take a plethora of positive breaks. Even with 7 or 8 wins an 8 seed is probable. Why? Because ISUb and Eville are so bad that the only thing keeping both from going 0-18 is that they will play one another twice (somebody has to win).  ;)

valpotx

Caitlin Morrison has finally shown over the last 5-6 games, how great she can be.  I always wondered why her shooting % was so abysmal over her first 2 seasons, as she has a great looking shot.  The basketball has really been falling for her, and I think that is huge for us over the rest of the season, allowing us the possibility of finishing in the top 6 of a really good conference.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Watched the game and the comeback was amazing.  Our coach has said that this team is now at a point where they are beating the teams they should beat and just now figuring out how to beat those teams a little more talented--like last night.  Great win!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on January 25, 2020, 01:35:49 AM
Caitlin Morrison has finally shown over the last 5-6 games, how great she can be.  I always wondered why her shooting % was so abysmal over her first 2 seasons, as she has a great looking shot.  The basketball has really been falling for her, and I think that is huge for us over the rest of the season, allowing us the possibility of finishing in the top 6 of a really good conference.

Although I think you know that the shooting touch can come and go all the time. Here's hoping she can keep it up through the tournament in the Quad Cities.

justducky

Drake 3rd in the Valley with an easy 21 point win at Des Moines. 6 Valley teams are in the top 100. Like I said before, an 8 win season would be terrific but is likely out of our reach. Even getting to 7 will be a struggle.

valpotx

It wasn't as easy as you are saying.  Valpo was in control up until 5 minutes left in the second quarter.  We were up 32-24, before Drake went on a massive run.  We let this one slip away, unfortunately.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Slow start good finish vs UE.

What happened to Profitt and White? They have missed at least the last three games.

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 06, 2020, 08:12:12 PM

What happened to Profitt and White? They have missed at least the last three games.

Both injured and in street clothes.  My guess is they are coming along nicely.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on February 07, 2020, 08:44:04 AM
Quote from: IndyValpo on February 06, 2020, 08:12:12 PM

Both injured and in street clothes.  My guess is they are coming along nicely.

That is what I figured with Profitt it has to be a concern given her history. Reading the game previews you would have no idea. It never updates status' they still indicate Koncisny (sp) is healthy

talksalot

Indiana State hits a 3 with 1:44 in the first to take the lead 18-12.  Valpo goes on a 19-0 run through the second quarter leading 31-18 at the half.  isu was 0-10, in the quarter. 

talksalot

61-45.  Valpo sweeps Indiana schools in the MVC.  13-9 ... keep it up 👍

VUGrad1314

Great job ladies! So impressed with this team this season! Here's hoping our men can do the same this year! They have the opportunity!

NativeCheesehead

Considering the state of this program when she arrived, Evans seems ahead of schedule in year two.

Valpofamfan

Grace Hales 6/6 from the free throw line tonight. The stats sheet on the valpo website says she's at .931 for the season. Why can't I see her on the ncaa top 25 for ft%?

vusupporter

Quote from: Valpofamfan on February 08, 2020, 06:33:26 PM
Grace Hales 6/6 from the free throw line tonight. The stats sheet on the valpo website says she's at .931 for the season. Why can't I see her on the ncaa top 25 for ft%?

The NCAA stats minimum is 2.5 makes/game. She comes in just shy of that, with 54 makes in 22 games (would need 55).

valpotx

Sweeping the 9 and 10 seed for the season is great, but we need to steal a few more wins against the better competition, whom we are currently 1-6.  Nonetheless, a much improved team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Big win at Illinois State today (78-70)!  Great job, ladies!
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on February 16, 2020, 04:14:35 PM
Big win at Illinois State today (78-70)!  Great job, ladies!
Road conference win! White still out, but Profitt returned. We are one win from clinching a .500 season at a minimum.