• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Nice Matt Kenney article

Started by vu72, January 05, 2012, 09:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

A very good article. I guess I can understand a little more why he struggled to start out. For the first time in his college career, he was being asked to be a pacesetter, not someone to come in and change the pace, like Homer had been using him. I didn't see all of the Green Bay game, but maybe his true role is to be that 6th man, who comes in and changes the pace of the game. Kenney could be that "wildcat" type of quarterback, who comes in to change the pace of the game, giving some fresh blood and legs when we need some scoring, passing, or rebounds to keep the opponent within reach, if we're trailing. A change of pace also for the guard with tired legs, or who isn't doing the work necessary to keep up the pace, or keep Valpo going strong throughout the game. Matt seems like a kid that wants to do the work to keep us in the game, but do it coming off the bench, where he can help change the pace either in spurts, or in needed moments for someone to get a breath, or see what he's missing out on the court, in terms of pace, action, things that that player's court vision might not be seeing.

covufan

If his true role is 6th man, then I would say he is more comparable to Vinnie Johnson - "The Microwave" - because he could heat things up in a hurry!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinnie_Johnson

milanmiracle

I don't know if I'd put him in a 6th man catagory quite yet. I think he can contribute more to the team with starters minutes, not necessarily being a starter. He's got the ability and talent to help Valpo get where they want to be, but without significant contributions from Matt I don't think that's possible.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpospartan

I love it when he snatches a defensive rebound, and takes off toward his own basket.  You can just see the intention & intensity in his eyes & body language.  It's like "try and stop me, sucka".

covufan

Quote from: valpospartan on January 05, 2012, 07:41:25 PM
I love it when he snatches a defensive rebound, and takes off toward his own basket.  You can just see the intention & intensity in his eyes & body language.  It's like "try and stop me, sucka".
Getting the ball down the court after a miss quickly will usually find the opponent out of position defensively - we just need to find the right opportunity and take it home!