• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Scott Drew mentioned as investor in ponzie scheme

Started by rlh, July 20, 2011, 11:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlh

If you haven't seen the story in Sports Illustrated, Scott Drew is mentioned as one of 9 coaches who invested in what turned out to be a ponzie scheme.  The guy who did it, committed suicide.  Apparently Scott was hit for $621,000.  The reason there is so much interest is the guy was an AAU coach and apparently told at least one coach that if they invested with him they would have access to his players.  Be interesting to see what happens from here on, if anything.  Knowing Scott, I don't think he would have done anything illegal, let's hope so anyway.

covufan

Saw this yesterday as well.  The access issue was an interesting twist. 

wh

I would be surprised as well if he would do something wrong, but it certainly does look bad on the surface.  From the article referenced in another thread:

Gary Parrish he believes most, if not all, of the coaches involved knew there was a recruiting advantage to be gained because, he asked, why else would they invest with him?

"I invest my money with billionaires -- not AAU coaches," the coach said. "If they lost all their money, those guys got what they deserve."

setshot

Hell, he lost the equivalent of one year"s salary. I can't feel sorry for a guy that ditched VU in order to make a few bucks and then f----d up. I feel the same way about the guy that ditched VU in order to make a name for himself at MSU. Here's to egg in your face. Go Valpo!

Pgmado

I'd hardly say that Scott ditched VU. Maybe I'd view it a bit differently if Scott leaving opened up a revolving door of subpar coaches over the last 10 years, but Homer returned, no harm, no foul.

Perhaps the one thing Scott is guilty of is taking a "shortcut" to a power conference, but let's face it, he was going to get there sooner or later.

agibson

$621k, man!

Even a year's salary, not easy to give up!

And, the recruiting angle's a little scarey...