• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

White Knights

Started by setshot, August 23, 2011, 06:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

The photo of the Valpo student-athletes is rather disturbing. We're almost all lilly white. I thought that diversity was one of the our basic tenets. Guess not. Therefore,to truly reflect the "real" Valpo,we should ditch the Crusader mascot and call our athletic team's the "White Knights." It fits. :o

KL31NY

"White Knights"... this has to be some really bad joke. Especially seeing that when I hear "White Knights," the first thing that I can associate that term w/ is the KKK.

Don't know what your intention was, setshot, but I find this pretty offensive.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpofan56

This post all but confirms what I already had assumed, setshot = jj.

okinawatyphoon

Valpo is quite a bit more diverse than your favorite school jj: Butler. And this is a ridiculous topic anyway.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

setshot

KL31NY: Did you ever hear that the USMA has been called "the Black Knights of the Hudson?" Get with it. How about the "White Knights of the Cornfields." That would fit. And take a look at the group picture and the volleyball team picture. Case closed. Go Knights!

vu72

I think Valpo is about the same diveristy wise as many similar institutions.  Here is a site that says about 18% of Valpo students are non-white and I suspect that the athletic teams have a similar mix. Now setshot, try not to focus on thw swim teams and look at football, men's soccer or basketball!

http://collegeprowler.com/valparaiso-university/diversity/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Which photo are we even talking about?

Valpo's not as diverse as I'd like: maybe the faculty is worse off than the students.  But, we're probably not doing _that_ badly.  I'd think some of our prominent athletic teams (e.g. Men's Basketball) are considerably more diverse (ethnic background, international) than the rest of campus.

I still don't think he's jj.  Just another troll.  But maybe it's been long enough that I'm giving jj too much credit.

agibson

But, if we want to light a torch for diversity: I'm getting more and more serious about a return to the Uhlan.  Maybe we could even have him carry the Shield of Character.

FWalum

Quote from: setshot on August 23, 2011, 09:32:25 PM
KL31NY: Did you ever hear that the USMA has been called "the Black Knights of the Hudson?" Get with it. How about the "White Knights of the Cornfields." That would fit. And take a look at the group picture and the volleyball team picture. Case closed. Go Knights!
Not even close to being the same thing.  The connotation would be completely different considering that VU came very close to being purchased by the KKK before the Lutheran's were able to make the purchase. Either you don't know much of the school's history or, as I suspect is the truth, you are just trying to stir the pot.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

Quote from: FWalum on September 12, 2011, 12:24:16 AM
Quote from: setshot on August 23, 2011, 09:32:25 PM
Not even close to being the same thing.  The connotation would be completely different considering that VU came very close to being purchased by the KKK before the Lutheran's were able to make the purchase. Either you don't know much of the school's history or, as I suspect is the truth, you are just trying to stir the pot.

setshot = jj = stir the pot

setshot

Check out the 2011-12 volleyball roster taken at the IN.Dunes State Park. Great picture,wholesome looking student-athletes,but with one exception all "white," Diversity? ???

vu72

Quote from: setshot on September 12, 2011, 11:50:14 AM
Check out the 2011-12 volleyball roster taken at the IN.Dunes State Park. Great picture,wholesome looking student-athletes,but with one exception all "white," Diversity? ???

So you want quotas versus success. Interesting.  BTW, look a little more carefully before you write:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/volleyball/roster/2011-12/4474/mary-dent/

Oh yeah, just checked the Notre Dame volleyball roster.  You must love the deversity there.  They do have diversity on their roster.  One player of color.   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I'm all for diversity, but can well imagine that some sports might draw from different communities than other.  One student on a roster of 14 doesn't seem very diverse.  But, averaging over the campus, what would you expect?  Something less than three students on the team? 
Even before accounting for any sport vs. culture bias.  And, sometimes if you're throwing random numbers, and expect 2.8, you'll get 1.

In the one volleyball game I've attended this season, I did notice that a young woman of darker skin tones, I guess it's the Mary Dent linked, seemed to be one of our most potent hitters.

78crusader

This thread is ridiculous.  African Americans make up 12% of the population.  We have one African American on the volleyball roster -- if we had two, then we would be slightly above 12%.  So we're one away from meeting the national average -- is that really a big deal? 

Why not focus, instead, on the fact that this program recruits exceptional kids and is probably, year in and year out, our most successful athletics program.

Paul

valpopal

Quote from: 78crusader on September 12, 2011, 12:42:23 PM
This thread is ridiculous.  African Americans make up 12% of the population.  We have one African American on the volleyball roster -- if we had two, then we would be slightly above 12%.  So we're one away from meeting the national average -- is that really a big deal? 

Why not focus, instead, on the fact that this program recruits exceptional kids and is probably, year in and year out, our most successful athletics program.

Paul

I agree with Paul that this is a ridiculous thread, but I will add to Paul's comment. African Americans do make up about 12% of the population. However, due to extraordinarily high drop-out rates in high school, an unemployment rate among blacks that is double that of whites, and the fact that many African Americans who attend college choose one of the 100 or so historically black colleges, the actual percentage of African Americans (including non-scholarship athletes, such as in football) who could or would attend a very expensive Lutheran affiliated university at least an hour distance from any large urban area would be at least half of that 12%. Therefore, if Valpo has an enrollment of 5-6% African Americans, that would be expected.

rlh

I will go even further....my son coaches volleyball in high school in one of the large school's in the state....they play other school's mostly of equal or bigger enrollments and I defy you to find more than one or two African-American players on those teams even those from the Gary area.  Volleyball is not one of the sports those girls seem to gravitate too...I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with diversity or fairness or any of that PC stuff.  He would love to have 12 African-American's on his team, if they can play....you just don't find that many around here, at least at the high school level.

setshot

What percentage of the population do Latinos and Asians represent? Add this to the % of African-Americans and you have better than a third of our population considered minorities. Valpo? Demographically,not even close. White Knights is a "great" moniker for the VU athletic mascot. Book it!

valpo04

This thread is beyond silly.