• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Campus projects

Started by 78crusader, July 08, 2012, 04:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

Tried to imagine how the campus might change in the next 6-7 years.  Here is one scenario:

2012: Start Welcome Center; finish Academic building next to library
2013: Start new dorm; finish Welcome Center
2014: Start Chapel remodel; finish new dorm
2015: Start ARC remodel; finish Chapel remodel
2016: Start Brandt remodel; finish ARC remodel
2017: Start Fieldhouse; finish Brandt remodel
2018: Start new nursing or science building in old Huegli space; finsih Fieldhouse

Just some random thoughts.  I did not include any reference to a new track since I have no idea when that is gonna happen. 

Probably time will prove me wrong on all counts.  And even though this is an ambitious schedule, it isn't much more ambitious than the last 7 years (new library, union, south and north entrances, tennis complex, academic building, geography building, softball field, engineering addition).

Paul

swiftmutiny

The Chapel renovation began soon after the end of the spring semester. Here are a few of the more recent galleries from the Flickr page:

Week 7
Week 6
Week 5

VULB#62

Quote from: 78crusader on July 08, 2012, 04:53:33 PM
Tried to imagine how the campus might change in the next 6-7 years.  Here is one scenario:

2012: Start Welcome Center; finish Academic building next to library
2013: Start new dorm; finish Welcome Center
2014: Start Chapel remodel; finish new dorm
2015: Start ARC remodel; finish Chapel remodel
2016: Start Brandt remodel; finish ARC remodel
2017: Start Fieldhouse; finish Brandt remodel
2018: Start new nursing or science building in old Huegli space; finsih Fieldhouse

Just some random thoughts.  I did not include any reference to a new track since I have no idea when that is gonna happen. 

Probably time will prove me wrong on all counts.  And even though this is an ambitious schedule, it isn't much more ambitious than the last 7 years (new library, union, south and north entrances, tennis complex, academic building, geography building, softball field, engineering addition).

I like the idea of your time line, 78, and wish something like that would be published by the University and the Athletic Department administration, but I'd be pushing the ARC Reno and the Athletic Campus (not just the field house) forward and not wait till 2015 and 2017.

vu72

I'm wondering where the new dorm will go.  I was thinking where Huegli existed and the new science building where Neils sits now.  Any info on these projects and their location?

78 is correct about the very ambitious previous years and all that was accomplished.  I was going to add the VUCA completion during that time frame but it was finished in 1995!  My how time flies!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

I have zero inside info, on anything.  All this is guesswork on my part and trying to fill in blanks from the limited info given out by the administration over the past 12-18 months.

As to the location of the new dorm, I thought they would put it in the old Huegli space, but that is right in the heart of campus, and I would think the administration would not want all that car traffic there.  Most schools locate their dorms on the periphery of campus, so I'm thinking the new dorm will be either just to the north and west of the new tennis courts, or just south of Guild Memorial.  I think both spots have been mentioned over the past couple years as a possible location for the new dorm.  I think a new academic building will eventually go in the Huegli spot.  Maybe science or nursing.  Both of these have also been mentioned as part of the STEM village (science, technology, engineering, and math) that would be in the heart of campus.

Paul

swiftmutiny

I attended a master plan informational meeting back in late January, and at that point in time they intended to build all of the new dorms along the north side of campus and put a new nursing building in where Huegli is now. So it sounds like you're right on the money there, 78. Though I'm sure they have made plenty of changes since January.

valpopal

Quote from: swiftmutiny on July 09, 2012, 02:50:01 PM
I attended a master plan informational meeting back in late January, and at that point in time they intended to build all of the new dorms along the north side of campus and put a new nursing building in where Huegli is now. So it sounds like you're right on the money there, 78. Though I'm sure they have made plenty of changes since January.

The campus master plan will be released September 20.

okinawatyphoon

New sculpture unveiled on campus:

When internationally renowned artist Richard Hunt learned that his friend Josephine Ferguson had purchased a 7-foot stainless steel sculpture of his with the intent of displaying it as an outdoor piece at Valparaiso University, Hunt had a better idea. Hunt, a Chicago native, offered to create a larger outdoor piece for Ferguson and the University.

Both Ferguson, a 1946 Valpo graduate, and Gregg Hertzlieb, director of the Brauer Museum of Art, were thrilled.

Hunt's work will be unveiled Saturday during a ceremony that begins at 12:30 p.m. in the Duesenberg Recital Hall at the Valparaiso University Center for the Arts. The 17-foot-tall piece made of welded stainless steel will be on permanent display outside the west entrance of the Center for the Arts, in view of the Chapel of the Resurrection and the Harre Union.

After a contribution from Ferguson, Hunt donated his time, materials, and creativity to construct the large piece.

"He said that this donation was in honor of Jo and Valparaiso University for the support they have shown him and his artwork over the years," Hertzlieb said.

Hunt is represented by numerous pieces in the Brauer Museum of Art's collection, mainly due to the generosity of Ferguson. A longtime admirer of his work, Ferguson has brought the sculpture of Hunt to the community of Valparaiso through not only her donations to the Brauer but also her commissions of Hunt's work for Immanuel Lutheran Church.

Hunt is represented in major museum collections worldwide, including the National Gallery in Washington, D.C., the Museum of Modern Art in New York, New York, and the Museum of the Twentieth Century in Vienna, Austria. His sweeping abstract creations inspire viewers with their strength and inventiveness, and reward repeated viewings from various vantage points.

The sculpture Hunt created for Saturday's unveiling is, as yet, untitled. An abstract work of art, the organic forms may suggest a variety of things to the various viewers.

"That's a delightful aspect of the sculpture," Hertzlieb said. "The sculpture to me, the artist, and many viewers of Hunt's other pieces similar in configuration represents a reach upward, an uplifting sense, an elevation of spirit and confidence. For us, the sculpture and its presence on campus reflect spiritual, educational, and professional goals that are realized through ongoing striving.

"We are committed to bringing the finest art to our students. Hunt's piece is a wonderful addition to our current holdings, a piece that raises the bar and communicates to visitors and the community the kind of quality sculptural work we will be able to offer here."

Saturday's unveiling is free and open to the public. The list of speakers at the ceremony includes Hertzlieb, Richard AmRhein, chief of staff for the Office of the President, Ferguson, and Hunt. The Rev. Jim Wetzstein, University pastor, will offer a blessing of the sculpture. Light refreshments will be served in the Valparaiso University Center for the Arts lobby following the ceremony.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

Valposter

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 08, 2012, 06:58:30 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on July 08, 2012, 04:53:33 PMTried to imagine how the campus might change in the next 6-7 years. Here is one scenario: 2012: Start Welcome Center; finish Academic building next to library 2013: Start new dorm; finish Welcome Center 2014: Start Chapel remodel; finish new dorm 2015: Start ARC remodel; finish Chapel remodel 2016: Start Brandt remodel; finish ARC remodel 2017: Start Fieldhouse; finish Brandt remodel 2018: Start new nursing or science building in old Huegli space; finsih Fieldhouse Just some random thoughts. I did not include any reference to a new track since I have no idea when that is gonna happen. Probably time will prove me wrong on all counts. And even though this is an ambitious schedule, it isn't much more ambitious than the last 7 years (new library, union, south and north entrances, tennis complex, academic building, geography building, softball field, engineering addition).
I like the idea of your time line, 78, and wish something like that would be published by the University and the Athletic Department administration, but I'd be pushing the ARC Reno and the Athletic Campus (not just the field house) forward and not wait till 2015 and 2017.

Is it anticipated that the new dorm will first be available for occupancy in the 2014-15 school year?  Is that the plan froma construction timeline?
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

crusadermoe

Yet to be titled?        OK................ ????......

78crusader

President Heckler is giving a radio interview on WVUR Dec 4 at 5:30.  Probably we will learn more at that time about the first steps VU intends to take in order to implement the Master Plan.  I'm betting on the new dorm.  That means 2013 would involve a new dorm and the Chapel addition.  After that, who knows? 

Questions can be submitted to WVUR.  I'm going to submit one -- regarding the track that, you know, was promised as part of the FITT program back in 2005.  I wouldn't bet the farm my question will actually be used during the interview.

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on November 29, 2012, 02:12:50 PM
President Heckler is giving a radio interview on WVUR Dec 4 at 5:30.  Probably we will learn more at that time about the first steps VU intends to take in order to implement the Master Plan.  I'm betting on the new dorm.  That means 2013 would involve a new dorm and the Chapel addition.  After that, who knows? 

Questions can be submitted to WVUR.  I'm going to submit one -- regarding the track that, you know, was promised as part of the FITT program back in 2005.  I wouldn't bet the farm my question will actually be used during the interview.

Paul

The Welcome Center, now scheduled for completion next May, and the Chapel addition, are both already funded and really aren't part of the Master Plan.  The questions need to go beyond those two projects into what priorities will be given via large scale fund raising efforts going forward.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

Somewhere beneath the "strategic plan" fluff piece we've seen, we can guess the board has an actual priority list with timing targets.   

valpopal

Paul

A separate five-year Valparaiso University Athletics Strategic Plan also has just been completed and approved, and I wonder if there will be any detailed information about what it contains.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on November 29, 2012, 06:26:17 PM

Paul

A separate five-year Valparaiso University Athletics Strategic Plan also has just been completed and approved, and I wonder if there will be any detailed information about what it contains.

That's good (?) news............... I think.

Valposter

Is there any place we can go to get more information on this new Athletic Strategic Plan?
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

VULB#62

Just guessing that it will not be all-inclusive -- the 30 Plan's call for an athletic district is big and couldn't be accomplished in a mere 5 years.  My guess it's ARC renovation, and track.  Maybe upgrade the Brown Field stadium.  If the ARC renovation includes added locker space to bring FB back over Union from Kroencke, then maybe moving the BB field to that location by year 5?  But all of that adds up to a pretty aggressive development plan in just five years.  Yup, bet it's just ARC and track.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 30, 2012, 12:19:08 AM
Just guessing that it will not be all-inclusive -- the 30 Plan's call for an athletic district is big and couldn't be accomplished in a mere 5 years.  My guess it's ARC renovation, and track.  Maybe upgrade the Brown Field stadium.  If the ARC renovation includes added locker space to bring FB back over Union from Kroencke, then maybe moving the BB field to that location by year 5?  But all of that adds up to a pretty aggressive development plan in just five years.  Yup, bet it's just ARC and track.

President Heckler has said on previous occasions, (this may have changed--who knows?) that the plan would be to build the field house, move coaches and locker rooms over there and then gut the ARC and redo it.  Not sure where the basketball team would play while all this is going on, but, that is why the get the big bucks!!

VULB#62

Hadn't heard that before.  That sounds MAJOR -- not just popping out a wall here or there, adding some more seating and building an addition off the back for locker rooms etc..  Does it really require that much of a heavy hand?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 30, 2012, 07:54:18 AM
Hadn't heard that before.  That sounds MAJOR -- not just popping out a wall here or there, adding some more seating and building an addition off the back for locker rooms etc..  Does it really require that much of a heavy hand?
[/b]

Absolutely. When you think about it, the ARC was built in what, 1985?  We had SOME women's sports, but not many.  The result is that the lockerroom situation is very cramped, the coaches (there are many more of those too) are jamed and things like training space etc are also way behind.  Now add to that the need to add some seating capacity and reconfigure the area into more of a bowl setting, the need for more concession and rest rooms and...yes, it will take a heavy hand!

valpotx

Unless we get above 4k in attendance like we used to back when I was in school, there really is no need to expand the capacity.  However, if you want to just lump all of the construction together, it will make more sense.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on November 30, 2012, 01:57:59 PM
Unless we get above 4k in attendance like we used to back when I was in school, there really is no need to expand the capacity.  However, if you want to just lump all of the construction together, it will make more sense.

I think the need for capacity comes from the fact that you can't make deals with Notre Dame, Purdue, Indiana, etc. to come to Valpo unless you have the capacity to handle a big house of area fans that will want to see teams they are fans of. In the end they might see that Valpo is competing with these programs, is not a one day drive and switch allegiances. I would think that is the best way to get Lake County and South Chicago fans. Make Valpo a destination for big time college basketball fans. 

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: valpotx on November 30, 2012, 01:57:59 PM

Valpo pal can probably confirm but I believe we are at 4,200 or so students now. On our way to 6,000!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vu72

A solid point although I don't know how many of those new students will be online or at different locations like Chicago.
I doubt the plan would include building something that seats 10,000 as Mark L has said, correctly in my opinion, that the intimacy of the ARC is a big advantage and provides an incredible game time experience particularly for those big time games.

My guess is that the capacity might increase from 5500 to 6500 or so but the big change will be the seating arrangement, concessions, rest rooms and maybe some sort of private club situation.  If you look at the Kent State arena I'm pretty sure they have glass enclosed boxes at one end.

I still think some sort of structure could be built that would involve a club setting that would providing viewing over the chairback end on one side, and Brown Field on the other.