• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VUWSO in HL Tournament

Started by KL31NY, October 30, 2012, 01:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

Time to talk another type of football on the forum :)

Valpo women's soccer finished 3rd of 8 teams in the regular season standings and is the 3 seed in this year's tournament. They host #6 Loyola at Eastgate today at 3pm with the winner playing #1 Milwaukee in 'Sconsin for the semifinals.

Also, five Crusaders received Horizon League honors. MFs Rachel Hoaglin and Luisa Desario made the All-League team, and freshmen Rita Craven, Jenny Fassbinder, and Sarrah Ludwig made the All-Newcomer Team. Also of note IMO, GK Kristen Manski did not receive any accolades despite leading all conference netminders for the season in goals against average (GAA), shutouts, wins, and winning percentage. She also led in GAA and save percentage in league matches only.

I became a big VUWSO follower while in college, especially when covering the side for radio and newspaper. It'd be great to see this team make a run like it did in 2009 when it made the conference finals. Go Crusaders!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

We may actually have a chance this year, as even though UWM got the 1 seed, they are having a down year compared to normal.  Normally, they wipe the field with other teams in HL play, but they haven't been close to doing that this year.  Hopefully we get our first NCAA bid in WSO since I was in school!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: KL31NY on October 30, 2012, 01:19:09 PM
....... IMO, GK Kristen Manski did not receive any accolades despite leading all conference netminders for the season in goals against average (GAA), shutouts, wins, and winning percentage. She also led in GAA and save percentage in league matches only.

I became a big VUWSO follower while in college, especially when covering the side for radio and newspaper. It'd be great to see this team make a run like it did in 2009 when it made the conference finals. Go Crusaders!

Can't believe Manski was so overlooked.  Good to have the game at Eastgate.  Wouldn't UWM play the lowest remaining seed -- probably #4? No matter, GO CRUSADERS!

valpotx

Well, an early goal led to our downfall.  Why can't we win games in the HL tournaments at home outside of softball?  MBB, MSO, and WSO now...
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

I was following between gametracker and the team twitter account. When I heard that we'd be going into the wind in the 2nd half, I knew it'd be an uphill battle, and it seems like we never got going in the final 45. What a shame! Seemed like we had a lot of great chances to even the score in the 1st and couldn't get it done...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on October 30, 2012, 04:59:15 PM
Well, an early goal led to our downfall.  Why can't we win games in the HL tournaments at home outside of softball?  MBB, MSO, and WSO now...

Weird    ???   No one thing really points to this.