• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Player Efficiency Rating (PER)

Started by KL31NY, January 23, 2013, 09:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

Between HC and his PPS statistics and LAA and his BPI posting, I've been seeing more basketball metrics coming up on this board. I had my own recent project with another metric that gave me an idea to introduce here... Player Efficiency Rating (PER) is primarily an NBA statistic created by ESPN.com columnist John Hollinger that "sums up all a player's positive accomplishments, subtracts the negative accomplishments, and returns a per-minute rating of a player's performance." It rewards a player for made shots, made free throws, steals, blocks, rebounds, and assists. It penalizes for misses, turnovers and fouls. It even adjusts for a player's minutes and the pace his team plays at. It's actually a pretty nice stat if you want to evaluate players head-to-head with a single number.

I created an Excel spreadsheet that calculates PER for every WBB player in the Missouri Valley to help my job prep (I'm working at Northern Iowa). Would anyone be interested if I did something similar for the Horizon League?

I wouldn't want to do the whole league, just enough top players who might be up for postseason honors. I could update a couple times a week and post the results in this thread. You can nominate whatever players you want me to keep track of. What do ya say?
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vu72

absolutely! Great idea and worth an"A" in grad school to be sure!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

HC

That's the same idea as PPS it sounds like but we don't take into account pace of the game (since you really aren't being productive/efficient if you are standing around holding the ball in my opinion). Stats are fun and I say the more the merrier!

LaPorteAveApostle

dude!  stop holding out and join the party! :)  great idea.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

KL31NY

Other than Rowdy and Ray Jr, who are some other players that we should compare? I'm opening it up to requests since I don't follow much of the league outside of Valpo and the occasional peak at the scoreboard/standings.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

LaPorteAveApostle

Sykes and Brown, WGB;
Averkamp, Loyola
Eargle, YSU
the Detroit starters;
all the Valpo peoples.
I hate to make work for other people...we could divide it up if you wanted to.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

KL31NY

It's a lot easier if one person is putting it together IMO. Since I already have a formula ready to go, it's just a little copying and pasting to make it all work.

What if I whittled down our guys to the gems? Without running the numbers yet, I'm guessing Rowdy, KVW, Dority, and Kenney. Maybe Buggsy or Capo, too. We can also add/subtract any players as the season continues. I just don't want dozens of players bogging down the spreadsheet...

I'll take any other nominees anyone else has. It doesn't have to be just me and apostle

KL31NY

A new thread in the Horizon League subsection of the forum has been created to analyze PER since we're obviously dealing with more than just Valpo hoops. The first ratings are here: http://tinyurl.com/012713PER

The thread itself is here: http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1201. Hope to have you join in over there for the discussion!

HC

I do like stats. Good luck brother, your thread has got more response then mine ever get, so I'd say you are off to a good start.