• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Crusaders @ Butler

Started by VULB#62, November 02, 2013, 04:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 10, 2013, 08:19:59 AM

Couldn't agree more.  This is WAY beyond humiliating.  Make a STATEMENT!!  This is NOT acceptable. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

VUdad - I feel bad for what you and these young men have been going through with this football program.  I feel the players and parents are good people and not expecting the world regarding what this football program provides.  I would, however, count your blessings that they are going to a wonderful school and getting an excellent education - those experiences are more important than what happens on the football field.  All is not lost that your kid went to Valpo.  Also, things will get better because there will likely be a coaching change in the very near future (if not there will be many upset folks - the Valpo suitors will not want to engage with this). 

I have been critical of Carlson for awhie, and I have found following this situation very sad yet interesting.  On decision making, Valpo is overly patient and conservative, not just including the athletics programs.  Carlson has been rather pompous and never has blamed himself on the situation.  We need to have a coach who will experiment, make decisions to best align with the team's strengths, and more importantly, take risks, make mistakes, and learn and improve from these mistakes.

Besides a coaching change, there needs to be a well-defined and agreed upon plan between MLB and the administration on the goals of this football program and the necessary steps to get this situation turned around.

KL31NY

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 10, 2013, 07:08:00 AM
Quote from: valpotx on November 10, 2013, 02:37:35 AMUSC, chef is Ickow ;)
well, just call me %#$%@^#.   I thought chef was reincarnated from a cafeteria cook in South Park, CO.

Hello there, children!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

usc4valpo

Ironically speaking of large point spreads,

Chef was coaching the South Park Cows against Middle Park Cowboys, who were a 72 point favorite.  The Cows were down 72-0, but and on the final play of the game Stan Marsh came in to replace Kyle Broslowski at QB and throwa TD pass.  South Park beat the spread and Chef became a coaching legend.

ok, so it was not topic related.  Need to have a little fun like Ed Orgeron...

willy

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 10, 2013, 09:09:44 AMVUdad - I feel bad for what you and these young men have been going through with this football program. I feel the players and parents are good people and not expecting the world regarding what this football program provides. I would, however, count your blessings that they are going to a wonderful school and getting an excellent education - those experiences are more important than what happens on the football field. All is not lost that your kid went to Valpo. Also, things will get better because there will likely be a coaching change in the very near future (if not there will be many upset folks - the Valpo suitors will not want to engage with this). I have been critical of Carlson for awhie, and I have found following this situation very sad yet interesting. On decision making, Valpo is overly patient and conservative, not just including the athletics programs. Carlson has been rather pompous and never has blamed himself on the situation. We need to have a coach who will experiment, make decisions to best align with the team's strengths, and more importantly, take risks, make mistakes, and learn and improve from these mistakes. Besides a coaching change, there needs to be a well-defined and agreed upon plan between MLB and the administration on the goals of this football program and the necessary steps to get this situation turned around.
I attended last Saturdays home game against San Diego and had the chance to talk with several current players.  They admitted that they are tired of being embaressed and don't know if being humiliated playing football for Valpo is worth sticking around for a Valpo education. Some of the kids brought up last years seniors and how well their doing and what great job offers they have recieved after graduating from Valpo.  These young men can see what a quality University Valpo is but are forced to make a choice between self dignity and education.  This whole situation makes me sad and I feel for the boys on the team.  You're right USC the players and the parents on this team are good people and are not expecting the world with this football program.  The kids just want a chance to be competitive and be proud of Valparaiso football not embaressed. I pray MLB and the people in charge will do the right thing and stop the hurt these young men are experiencing and make Valpo football something they can say they were proud to be a part of!

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on November 10, 2013, 08:14:15 AM
Quote from: valpotx on November 10, 2013, 02:37:35 AMUSC, chef is Ickow 
Great.  Another cover blown!  The next thing you know people will start thinking agibson is a member of the faculty!!

Or that a Heckler and members of the board of directors are part of this dialog----hint! hint!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann