• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Twenty years later: the Lafayette Semistate Title game

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 20, 2014, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

my sister showed me this.  i hadn't seen it since i saw it live.

and no, sis, that wasn't me shirtless, although one of them did look a bit like me.  my seats weren't quite that good.

still the single best sporting event i've ever attended.  were you there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjIrdl_mEP0
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Yes, I was there as well. In fact, I remember thinking at the time I was watching in the stands that this was a moment I will always remember. Bryce had a very good night, but Tim Bishop was magnificent. I attended all the Valpo High games that magical year, and I thought no season would ever rival it, but then Bryce took VU to the Sweet Sixteen.

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

historyman

I was not at the game but I was watching it on TV. Mr and Mrs Bishop are extremely proud of that moment. Whenever they have friends who remember Tim over to the house they will show Tim's special athletic moments in high school and that is top of the list. They are still huge supporters of Valpo HS athletics.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

It's so sad at the same time, because of what would happen later.

His high school girlfriend also died young, not very many years ago.

Cue the A.E. Housman...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Thanks, Ave.  I heard about that game but there's no way I got to see it, living in St. Louis.  I did get to go to the Final Four the following Saturday because of that shot and because of my Dad (it was my birthday present).

There are probably tons of great VHS games I never got to see.

StlVUFan

By the way, that was our old "friend" Joe Arradondo (sp?) on color in that game ;)

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 25, 2014, 01:03:07 AMBy the way, that was our old "friend" Joe Arradondo (sp?) on color in that game ;)
I hope you typed that as if you were about to breakout laughing.  :)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

...wait, what's the deal with Joe Arredondo?  is there a deal?  sounds intriguing.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 25, 2014, 07:25:31 PM...wait, what's the deal with Joe Arredondo?  is there a deal?  sounds intriguing.
In my opinion Joe always speaks like he is about to breakout in laughter. There's nothing wrong with it unless your about to deliver bad news.

StlVUFan

Quote from: historyman on March 26, 2014, 01:13:49 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 25, 2014, 07:25:31 PM...wait, what's the deal with Joe Arredondo?  is there a deal?  sounds intriguing.
In my opinion Joe always speaks like he is about to breakout in laughter. There's nothing wrong with it unless your about to deliver bad news.
Several years ago, he was regularly doing Valpo games with RLH, both in the Mid-Con and in the HL (He also did Loyola games once in awhile).  I don't recall exactly, but I think some folks around here didn't think much of his abilities in the broadcast booth.