• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football vs. Morehead

Started by setshot, September 27, 2011, 11:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

Valpo (#245 - Sagarin) vs. #241 Morehead this homecoming weekend.With two weeks to prepare and repair,I'll pick Valpo to beat Morehead by 7. If not and the losing streak continues,it maybe the Nov.12 game against Campbell (ranked #244) before we win our first and only game of the season. Hope not,so let's go VALPO! :thumbsup:

Scrub

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

I agree that this is our best chance for a win until the Campbell game (or possibly one of the other two November games). I am going with my heart this Homecoming weekend, and I will pick Valpo to break the losing streak in front of a stadium of alums with whom I hope to party after the game:

Morehead - 31
Valpo - 35

historyman

I too agree that Valpo will break the losing streak finally. And as you all know this is going out on a limb. But Valpo always seems to come up with one good game every year and I believe this is the one. Last year they lost 21-19 and that was their best game. The offense is better this year and has not been shut out once despite the lopsided scores against YSU and Duquesne.

Valpo          37
Morehead St.  35

Valpo survives by kicking 2 field goals in the 4th quarter, the winning field goal coming in the last 2 minutes of play.

covufan

Valpo  -  31
Morehead  - 38

covufan

Quote from: historyman on September 27, 2011, 01:26:00 PM
I too agree that Valpo will break the losing streak finally. And as you all know this is going out on a limb. But Valpo always seems to come up with one good game every year and I believe this is the one. Last year they lost 21-19 and that was their best game. The offense is better this year and has not been shut out once despite the lopsided scores against YSU and Duquesne.

Valpo          37
Morehead St.  35

Valpo survives by kicking 2 field goals in the 4th quarter, the winning field goal coming in the last 2 minutes of play.

Wasn't it Drake we lost by 21-19. 

valpotx

I sure hope we win, as we are getting close to the all-time top 10 losing streaks for NCAA football...

Valpo 27  Morehead St. 20
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crusader65

Morehead lost to San Diego 48-44 last weekend allowing 28 points in the 4th quarter at their home opener.  I'm sure that will be a tough mindset to overcome on a roadtrip to a Homecoming and bye week prepared Valpo.  Going with my heart and the young guns playing more -

Valpo 35 - Morehead State 17   :cheers:

historyman

Quote from: covufan on September 27, 2011, 01:47:49 PM
Morehead is also coming off a bye week.  

Valpo  -  31
Morehead  - 38

According to the Morehead State athletics website they played and lost to San Diego last week 48-44 in their first Pioneer League game.

http://www.msueagles.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&

Wasn't it Drake we lost by 21-19. 

Yes, the Drake loss on September 25, 2010, the Homecoming game was the 21-19 loss.

KL31NY

Quote from: valpopal on September 27, 2011, 12:53:33 PM
I agree that this is our best chance for a win until the Campbell game (or possibly one of the other two November games). I am going with my heart this Homecoming weekend, and I will pick Valpo to break the losing streak in front of a stadium of alums with whom I hope to party after the game

Quote from: historyman on September 27, 2011, 01:26:00 PM
I too agree that Valpo will break the losing streak finally. And as you all know this is going out on a limb. But Valpo always seems to come up with one good game every year and I believe this is the one. Last year they lost 21-19 and that was their best game.

I echo your thoughts as well. Morehead's only win is against Kentucky Christian, one of the little sister's of the poor from the NAIA, and they've blown 4th quarter leads in their last two games. Combined with VU's bye week, I see this as a great chance to snap the streak. If VU can get a good start or maybe benefit from another MSU choke-job, they could narrowly escape with a much-needed win.

My prediction: Valpo 42, Morehead State 41
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

new2ff

Ky. Christian has first year coach, the great NFL player Mike Furrey, I think they will get better. He was a great NFL player & fine young man.

I hope Valpo can pull one out this week, but I think they will have to put up a lot of points to do it. This will be a shootout.

vu72

Quote from: new2ff on September 27, 2011, 06:48:59 PM
Ky. Christian has first year coach, the great NFL player Mike Furrey, I think they will get better. He was a great NFL player & fine young man.

I hope Valpo can pull one out this week, but I think they will have to put up a lot of points to do it. This will be a shootout.

Defense has for the most part not been a big part of the Pioneer League.  When we last won the championship we beat Morehead State something like 52-48. Given our leaky defense, if we are to win, if will have to be a shootout.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

cornonthe

milanmiracle

Morehead State 49 VU 30. Morehead actually has a win, and this could be their only opportunity for another one this year as well. I think VU keeps it interesting but falls just short.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vuweathernerd

it was 7-7 early on, but since then all morehead. 28-7 morehead at the break.

valporun

I know we want the best from the guys on the field right now, but it might be time to put in some younger guys that could use game reps, rather than practice reps to prove they can help this team. I mean we tied the game at 7 early, then our defense gave up that second touch, and our offense just seemed to deflate...

agibson

setshot

38-14. Hell, we kept our opponent under 40 pts. for the first time this year. We're on our way. Watch out SD and Butler,Valpo's on a roll. :'(

vu72

Not to make excuses, but we do need to keep the following in mind:

Our leading Rusher:  Gabe Ali-Eli       Freshman

Our leading Passer:  Eric Hoffman  Freshman

Our leading Receiver:  Tanner Kuramata  Freshman

Our leading All Purpose:  Kelven Smarwt  Freshman

Add to that that our leading tackler today was John Edwards with 16. And he is a:  yep, you guessed it, a Freshman

Patience, I think will be at a premium, but you can see that the cupboard was pretty empty.

Is the Hawaiian kid still on the team?  Couldn't find him on the roster but maybe I just missed him.

valpotx

24th loss in a row, hopefully we break this streak this year, getting closer to being in top 10 all-time losing streaks.  Some positives from the defense in making them punt 11 times
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

I had heard that Coach Carlson was going to go with more freshmen today.

I made it to the second half.  I'm not sure if Morehead had pulled its starters, but the game was not painful to watch at all.  There was no doubt about the outcome, but there were some sparks on either side of the ball.  Morehead drove the ball down the field in five or six plays to open the half, but Valpo limited them to a field goal the rest of the game.
Beamin' Beacons

valpopal

Quote from: humbleopinion on October 01, 2011, 06:02:04 PM
I had heard that Coach Carlson was going to go with more freshmen today.

I have also been told by players that Carlson is intentionally playing freshmen and sophomores more to get them the experience.

setshot

I've heard that the kid from Hawaii went back to the islands. It seems that he didn't get lei'd when he arrived in Valpo. Those of us that have been to Hawaii know that you get lei'd when you get off the plane. I still have my garland and so does my wife. Too bad!