• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #29 @UNI Saturday 2/23/19 7pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, February 22, 2019, 12:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on February 23, 2019, 11:37:05 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2019, 11:25:56 AMand we're not quite as healthy since we last saw them,

Fazekas was out when we played them last.

But if you take into account the whole team is a little nicked up and I don't really think Fazekas is fully healthy. He's just healthy enough to play and contribute, which is still a boost.

justducky

Reviewed the 1/19 boxscore and we led tipoff to buzzer with a 34-20 rebound advantage. Smits had 21 points with 5 TOs. Evelyn 14, Golder 13 and Freeman with only 2.  :o  Green worked hard for his 25 points. We seemed to match up pretty well with them defensively so I'm wondering what Fazekas might add or detract?

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on February 23, 2019, 12:03:36 PM
Reviewed the 1/19 boxscore and we led tipoff to buzzer with a 34-20 rebound advantage. Smits had 21 points with 5 TOs. Evelyn 14, Golder 13 and Freeman with only 2.  :o  Green worked hard for his 25 points. We seemed to match up pretty well with them defensively so I'm wondering what Fazekas might add or detract?

This Valpo offense is completely Jekyll and Hyde. When they're "on" they're on, when they're "off" they are really off. We need find some consistency and get back to those strong defensive principals. I do think our 7 footers match up against UNI's bigs nicely.

humbleopinion

Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2019, 12:31:46 PM
Quote from: justducky on February 23, 2019, 12:03:36 PM

This Valpo offense is completely Jekyll and Hyde. When they're "on" they're on, when they're "off" they are really off. We need find some consistency and get back to those strong defensive principals. I do think our 7 footers match up against UNI's bigs nicely.

It seems that the way teams match up has played a big role in the standings in the MVC this year.  I'll let others take a look at how many sweeps there have been in conference this year.  We swept Illinois State and SIU. UNI is  another team against we match up well. I predict that we will sweep UNI.

Beamin' Beacons

justducky

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 23, 2019, 12:49:22 PMNIU is  another team against we match up well. I predict that we will sweep NIU.

Oooo!- Don't say NIU without attaching a smiley face! Even then they may want to throw a bag over your head and cause major disfigurement!   :deadhorse:

SanityLost17

I am not sold that we match up all that great with UNI.   The game we played against them was one of our better games of the season and it was close for the majority of the game.  Hope I am wrong.       

MoSt is a team I would love to see in the tournament.   I think we matchup GREAT with them.  Fully healthy we sweep them easily this year.  I think we matchup well with SIU.   I actually think we matchup well with Bradley mostly because Sackey has the quickness to keep up with Brown.  I don't think we match up well with Loyola/IndSt/Drake but I guess that is no secret since they swept us.   Jury is out on Eville/UNI and even IllSt.  I know we swept IllSt but that had more to do with their effort level than anything else.  If they refuse to play defense we matchup great.  If they decide in St. Louis they are actually going to play hard for a change than maybe not so much.     

GoldenCrusader87

Confident we'll get a win today. But, I would add - one sure fire way to improve our FG % inside the paint .... getting those big boys to dunk the ball. Glad Jay finally put one down last time out. Need more. Glad Golder is feeling better.  Give him a lot of credit for trying to contribute but was obvi not 💯

VU2014

VU2014

Sorolla is back in the starting lineup. Interesting. Coach talked about that a decent amount in the last post game presser and gave Smits a ton credit for responding well to the situation

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1099469456873586688

VU2014

Side Note: UNI's pep band sounds top notch. It reminds me our band like 4-6 years ago.

NativeCheesehead

Problem with our band is more numbers than quality. Sure they could be a little better but it's more of a numbers game.

Speaking of.... didn't someone on the board say the music department was taking over the pep band after thanksgiving? Looks and sounds the same to me.

crusadermoe

So......is the ESPN3 camera mounted on the ceiling?...or on a blimp?

GoldenCrusader87

I've got a good view - on espn 3. At least I haven't noticed. Beautiful venue though.

NativeCheesehead

Anyone else want to argue that Freeman is better than Green?

VUGrad1314

It's a really nice arena . Another scoring drought... Why does this keep happening? Is it scheme or something else?

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 23, 2019, 07:27:19 PM
Anyone else want to argue that Freeman is better than Green?

Green is clearly further along in his development on the offensive side of the ball.

crusadermoe

Freeman was absolutely hammered at 7:20 to go.   No call.  ???

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 23, 2019, 07:29:59 PM
It's a really nice arena . Another scoring drought... Why does this keep happening? Is it scheme or something else?

Scheme. too much iso and standing around. My biggest concern with Lottich... he needs to get better at this facet of game planning. But Valpo also struggles because we don't have many quality shooters.

NativeCheesehead

We need to stop the baseline double team. It worked when it was Alec and Vashil. We give up a layup every time now.

nkvu

Man we are giving up a lot of open looks and easy baskets. I thought we were supposed to be a good defensive team.

But we are really good at rimming out our shots.

VUSL98

Thoughts at the half:
1.  Too many substitutions.  How can these guys get in a rhythm?
2.  Bad passing.
3.  Bad shooting.
4.  Not enough McMillan.
5.  Amazed we're only down 7.

Let's go VU!

VUGrad1314

ANOTHER god awful last possession of a half. And yet as horribly as we've played we're only down seven and would be up if not for A.J. Green and his limitless range. We're totally in this. We can do this! Let's start the half on a run and steal this game! Go Valpo!

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176