• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Arch Madness 2019

Started by VU2014, March 03, 2019, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How far will the Crusaders go at Arch Madness?

1st round (Thursday)
2nd round (Friday)
Semi-Finals (Saturday)
Championship Game (Sunday)
Going Dancing

M

Lavender started, played 31 minutes, had 8 points 5 boards an assist and no turnovers.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 08, 2019, 06:26:18 AM
It was mentioned earlier that bad things happen when we are in our halfcourt offense.  2nd half we got out and ran more.  That should be our strategy.

You keep referencing getting out and running.  That mostly happens after steals and missed shots, right?  So let's say that 55% of offensive possessions we can run.  Admittedly that's higher than reality because not all rebounds are deep rim clankers that fall in our fleet footed players hands at the 3-point line.  So let's reduce 55% down to 35% for conversation sake.

What do we do for the other 65% of offensive possessions?  I guess I've never understood how our offense can be more "get out and run-y" in those 65% of possessions?

This is not a setup, I'm honestly asking how this is achieved AND are there examples we can reference because I don't have the answer.  Go Mick Go!!! 😜😜😜

crusader05

I don't know how to explain the difference because I don't have a large basketball IQ but what I see the difference is almost less a more run-y offense and instead a more aggressive one.

They sometime seem to think if they just pass the ball around enough the teams will get out of the way, but they don't and then they have their bad shot clock sets. This time they seemed to be more aggressive in working to move in toward the basket, even if they still needed to kick the ball out. It made the team move better and pass better. Also Bakari needs to stop trying to find his 3 point shot and keep being aggressive towards the basket.

FieldGoodie05

Has anyone ever considered if seasonal affective disorder leads to college basketball fans in northern climates being more manic?  I sometimes wonder myself...I mean the timing of the NCAAM basketball season can be dark in more than one sense of the word.

Here I sit at a trade show in Orlando happy as a clam....is it the win or is it the weather???

VULB#62

Quote from: M on March 08, 2019, 08:37:34 AM
Lavender started, played 31 minutes, had 8 points 5 boards an assist and no turnovers.

Duh!  Working till 10 last night must have fried my brain. Thanks for the clarification guys.

valpopal

Apparently, the theme is still "Gritty"!

[tweet]1104021450741161984[/tweet]

oklahomamick

Damn Gritty. 

Was hoping the theme changed to sitting low post screens, high screens for open 3 point looks, pick and role, and if possible push the ball before the defense could get set. 

I guess when we used to beat Loyola all the time in the HL we just had more Gritt than them. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

If we play loose and relaxed like we did last night, we can beat this talented Loyola team. It was impressive last night.

justducky

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 08, 2019, 07:38:16 AMSo.....have the negative posters and ML haters scheduled a large BANDWAGON to depart Valpo to St Louis early Saturday a.m. just in case. 

Not me but if we beat Loyola and the campus empties I'll proceed with bringing in the wrecking balls, flattening the ARC and dismantling the program.

M

Valpo is currently a 7.5 point dog. Over/under is 117.5. 
I think this game will go over that total.

Just Sayin

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 08, 2019, 07:38:16 AM
So.....have the negative posters and ML haters scheduled a large BANDWAGON to depart Valpo to St Louis early Saturday a.m. just in case.  😁😉

I will confess that I bought a ticket  only for the Friday Noon today gamehinking they needed to prove a W before I put money and time into this team even though I have some family in Missouri.

Didn't look like there were any available seats left last night. Go down there at your own risk.

crusader05

A small side not but is it me or is the videography work for this tournament way better than any we have seen recently

KL31NY

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 08, 2019, 12:12:24 PM
2nd game in a row. Pay for ESPN+ but the game is blocked out in our area. Only on NBC Sports Chicago. Go to NBC sports Chicago mobile app and Illinois high school bball is on. I can only view it at home on my tv. But, I'm not home. So... cannot watch. What a joke.

It's supposed to be on NBC Sports Chicago+, but my TV is only getting a generic station slide with background music playing. Anyone else having trouble trying to watch via TV or is it just me? It could always be an issue with Mediacom instead...

https://twitter.com/TheKleinhans/status/1104080523478081536
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

M

I'm only getting score updates from the ESPN app, but it doesn't appear to be going our way early.

Valpo2013

Quote from: M on March 08, 2019, 12:24:59 PM
I'm only getting score updates from the ESPN app, but it doesn't appear to be going our way early.

Consider yourself lucky
Me and a buddy drove over from Indy
Took the day off
We are terrible
Bakari is a joke

oklahomamick

rough game.  cant get any open looks on offense.  Loyola fouling too much for the refs to call all of them.  Loyola's fat center puts his head down and pushes the 7 footers around.  Doesn't matter, Loyola is a better team and should win with or without refs. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

We scored 18 points in the first half.
CRUSADERS!!!

JD24

No legs from the quick turnaround for Valpo vs a well rested team which is the best or certainly amongst the best in the conference.

vu72

When you rely on Sakey, Kiser, Lavender and Evelyn for 3 point shooting you get what you get.  Without a shooter we will win some with our defense but not against a team loaded with shooters like Loyola.  I'm hoping that Fazekas, Gordon and Robinson will change all of that NEXT year!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

a3uge

justducky

Excellent play from Loyola on both ends of the floor. Valpo with Fazekas and Gordon and Robinson would have trouble hanging close. Having said that having some 3 point shooters on the floor would help space the floor. You just can't drive inside with 5 guys waiting on you. Indiana St would have matched up better with Loyola today.

truth219

It's disheartening when your team is crap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

NativeCheesehead

Javon has developed nicely. The rest of this team is no better than the team that lost to UIndy.

oklahomamick

forgot we lost to Uindy.....
CRUSADERS!!!