• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

This streak will end

Started by 78crusader, October 16, 2011, 05:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

I wanted to post this to counter the negative comments that keep getting made about our football program.  I get awful tired of these hurtful comments.

In the early 1990s we had a similar streak going on.  At the time, no one thought it would end and there were whispers that the entire football program would have to be scrapped.  Then VU played Indiana Central (now known at the University of Indianapolis).  IC led the entire way and another VU loss seemed inevitable, until, for some unknown reason, late in the fourth quarter the IC coach decided to go for it on 4th and 2 from his own 25.  VU stopped the play, went on to kick a field goal, and stop the streak.  The final, I think, was 23-22.  Perhaps some of you on this board recall that game.  Maybe you were even there to see it. 

Coach Carlson is a quality person and a good coach with a proven track record.  We knew he was facing a big challenge when he signed on, but I suspect none of us really realize how low the program was at that point.  He WILL win and we WILL have winning seasons.  It is just taking longer than any of us would like.  If you agree, please email Coach Carlson and let him know that you appreciate all of the countless hours he and his staff put into this program, and let him know that you believe in him.  Paul

valpofan56

Quote from: 78crusader on October 16, 2011, 05:02:45 PM
I wanted to post this to counter the negative comments that keep getting made about our football program.  I get awful tired of these hurtful comments.

In the early 1990s we had a similar streak going on.  At the time, no one thought it would end and there were whispers that the entire football program would have to be scrapped.  Then VU played Indiana Central (now known at the University of Indianapolis).  IC led the entire way and another VU loss seemed inevitable, until, for some unknown reason, late in the fourth quarter the IC coach decided to go for it on 4th and 2 from his own 25.  VU stopped the play, went on to kick a field goal, and stop the streak.  The final, I think, was 23-22.  Perhaps some of you on this board recall that game.  Maybe you were even there to see it. 

Coach Carlson is a quality person and a good coach with a proven track record.  We knew he was facing a big challenge when he signed on, but I suspect none of us really realize how low the program was at that point.  He WILL win and we WILL have winning seasons.  It is just taking longer than any of us would like.  If you agree, please email Coach Carlson and let him know that you appreciate all of the countless hours he and his staff put into this program, and let him know that you believe in him.  Paul

Really?! Of course the streak will end at some point, captain obvious.

The fact of the matter is though that the football team has sucked and continues to suck.  There's nothing wrong with the people who state that because it's the truth.

78crusader

That's what I love about this board...classy, in-depth analysis.  Thank you, valpofan56, for setting me straight.  Paul...er, Captain Obvious

setshot

I predict that the losing streak will end in 2012,or maybe 2013. Wanna bet? :lol:

valpofan56

Quote from: 78crusader on October 16, 2011, 05:32:48 PM
That's what I love about this board...classy, in-depth analysis.  Thank you, valpofan56, for setting me straight.  Paul...er, Captain Obvious

If you want to be optimistic that's your prerogative, but it's not your job to tell people who are negative that they have no right to be.

I think that the football team is embarrassing and has no business being in existence.  Scholarship level football is designed to be a moneymaker for a university.  Non-scholarship football should be around to add something to the student/campus experience.  Since Valpo football fulfills neither of those, it should go!

VALPO FOOTBALL SUCKS!

milanmiracle

I get both sides, however this thread makes me laugh.  :lol: :lol:
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Quote from: setshot on October 16, 2011, 06:31:57 PM
I predict that the losing streak will end in 2012,or maybe 2013. Wanna bet? :lol:

I predict that unless the defense improves, the streak will continue for the foreseeable future.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

covufan

Quote from: 78crusader on October 16, 2011, 05:02:45 PM

I agree that some could be more positive, but for the most part the negativity is focused on the team or program - not toward individuals.  There are exceptions, though.

I used the Colleg Football Data Warehouse cfbdatawarehouse.com for looking up old schedules.  We did have a losing streak in the late '80s and 1990, ending with a victory over St Joe's, 16-14.  The streak started with losing the last two games of 1987, an 0-9-1 record in 1988 (with the lone tie a 0-0 tie), an 0-10-0 record in 1989, and losing the first four games of 1990.  The 1987-88 coach was Bill Koch.  The 1989-90 coach was Tom Horne.  The other losing streak was 26 games (25 losses and one tie).  The current streak is also 26, with no victory in sight.

Using the last game notes for the 2-deep roster, we currently have three freshman or sophomores starting on offense, with six serving as backups, and four starting seniors.  On defense we have four freshman or sophomores starting, with ten serving as backups, and four starting seniors as well.  Of the eight starting seniors, six are on the interior line – which could pose a problem next year. 

I agree that Coach Carlson started with a bare cupboard.  He also has the background of building programs.  While others are correct that the current state of VU football is less than desirable, I look forward to the next few years. 

covufan

Talking of streaks.  From wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Losing_streak_(sport)

We should not some close to Prairie View's FCS record of 80 losses in a row.  Of NCAA Teams we currently have the longest losing streak in FCS (I-AA) at 26 games, the next closest is Mississippi Valley with 18.  The longest current NCAA Division II losing streak is Lock Haven with 38.  The longest current NCAA Division III losing streak is Anna Maria with 25.  Can we schedule Lock Haven or Anna Maria?  Olivet, which had the NCAA Division III current streak of 32 last week, beat Kalamazoo this past weekend.  Maybe we can end our streak as well.

Does anyone have access to next year's football schedule?

new2ff

I think the football team has an excellent chance at ending streak against Davidson & Marist. Here is hoping they win one or both. Would be the medicine they need for turning things around.

KL31NY

I have said this before on other outlets, but I will place it here now: the key to the rest of the season, in my opinion, is not our ability to improve our offense, defense, or special teams but our team mentality and confidence. Granted, we still need technical execution, especially to stop those long unanswered runs by our opponents, but it matters most to me that this team is always in each game fighting like they can win.

At this point, it could only be baby steps taken in this direction. Still, the few interactions I've made with team personnel after Saturday's game give me the impression that this team is feeling more optimistic about the rest of the year. Another competitive start/game against the Bulldogs this weekend (Bulldog Battle, part deux) could make those late games, especially the Davidson contest, a decent opportunity for a win.

As Dale would say, it's all about chopping the wood. One or two hacks won't get it down. It is a process you have to keep at to get the job done.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

covufan

Quote from: KL31NY on October 18, 2011, 10:11:02 AM
I have said this before on other outlets, but I will place it here now: the key to the rest of the season, in my opinion, is not our ability to improve our offense, defense, or special teams but our team mentality and confidence. Granted, we still need technical execution, especially to stop those long unanswered runs by our opponents, but it matters most to me that this team is always in each game fighting like they can win.

At this point, it could only be baby steps taken in this direction. Still, the few interactions I've made with team personnel after Saturday's game give me the impression that this team is feeling more optimistic about the rest of the year. Another competitive start/game against the Bulldogs this weekend (Bulldog Battle, part deux) could make those late games, especially the Davidson contest, a decent opportunity for a win.

As Dale would say, it's all about chopping the wood. One or two hacks won't get it down. It is a process you have to keep at to get the job done.
:thumbsup:

milanmiracle

At some point when do you decide that chopping down a redwood with a pocketknife isn't the best idea and maybe you should try another tool? (no this is not a reference to getting rid of coach Carson)

I know offense sells tickets, but at what point do we point the finger at the defense? I don't know of many, if any, offenses that can cover 40+ points every week? Just saying...

vu72

Not to make excuses but defense, at our level, has always been an issue.  Not sure why, but as I pointed out earlier in another thread, even when we won the conference championship we beat Morehead State something like 51-47.  Not exactly a defensive stalemate.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 22, 2011, 08:10:55 AM

At some point when do you decide that chopping down a redwood with a pocketknife isn't the best idea and maybe you should try another tool? (no this is not a reference to getting rid of coach Carson)

I know offense sells tickets, but at what point do we point the finger at the defense? I don't know of many, if any, offenses that can cover 40+ points every week? Just saying...

Hopefully, we have a sharp pocket knife, and can at least make progress.  Maybe we can trade up at the end of the year? :lol: