• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2021 Football Spring Season

Started by valpofb16, February 11, 2021, 09:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Wow! 4-2 and competitive in every game? I'm impressed! Maybe the fortunes have turned positive at long last for Valpo football! That's great to see! Congrats on a great season and hopefully the team can build on it and do even better next season!

usc4valpo

Realistic chance for what? To play in Belgium?

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 19, 2021, 07:06:54 AMRealistic chance for what? To play in Belgium?
Is there a prize being given to whoever comes up with what this post is referencing?

valpotx

It will be interesting to see if Maxwell (KO yds/attempt) and Turner (takeaways) come back.  Leading FCS in any national statistical category, you are going to have some folks reach out to you on the side. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

In the winning season in 2017 our best freshman WR/DB transferred

Scargle ended up not making team/playing at USF, Navarro ended up getting 2/5 years paid for at Illinois.

Outside of Novarro transfer portal had not produced many starters at other schools in past 10 years.

valpotx

I think Navarro ended up with a retroactive scholarship for the Illini, if I remember the Lovie Smith announcement correctly.  He still has 1 more year, as well:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4249535/donny-navarro
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

jD24, 1314 - my bad and my apologies. I was trying to copy 16's quote about various former Valpo players having a realistic chance of going pro, which was ridiculas and loaded with overindulgence of brown and gold Kool Aid.

valpofb16

Usc4valpo ,

Realistic to go pro is very possible as there have been alum do it , not the NFL but they get paid to play football. Might not be a ton of money, but they do.

Robert Washington is a very atypical Valparaiso football player. He has started at the FBS level, was a 4* recruit. So when considering his options you'd have to imagine that he has the same lower hanging fruit options as Europe/Arena Indoor football, and can maybe break CFL/NFL barrier

valpotx

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 21, 2021, 07:16:38 AM
Usc4valpo ,

Realistic to go pro is very possible as there have been alum do it , not the NFL but they get paid to play football. Might not be a ton of money, but they do.

Robert Washington is a very atypical Valparaiso football player. He has started at the FBS level, was a 4* recruit. So when considering his options you'd have to imagine that he has the same lower hanging fruit options as Europe/Arena Indoor football, and can maybe break CFL/NFL barrier

Exactly, we are not saying NFL, but we've had players get paid to play football over the years.  I wholeheartedly agree with Washington.  If he comes back, and has an even bigger season, he can play somewhere.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Ok, thank you for the clarification.

valpofb16

Post season awards in league

Robert Washington Offensive Player of Year
Ben Niesner Co Special teams player of year.

Thought Keyon got snubbed for Defensive freshman

ProudCrusader

Turner was snubbed and Niesner should not have shared the award with anyone, let alone a guy who didn't even lead the league in return yards, avg. per return or returns for touchdowns...but we did have a guy (Charlie Maxwell) that not only led the league in these categories, but was also #1 in the country in return average and returns for TD. Bizarre choice to go with Nichols.