• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 12: @ New Mexico State

Started by valpofb16, November 26, 2022, 06:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Per Paul Oren, VU is awaiting a pay day with NMSU if they receive permission from the NCAA.

NMSU is coming off a shellacking of Liberty.

Maybe not the best idea for the program. However need to continue to fund that basketball team because ?

vu84v2

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 26, 2022, 06:05:31 PM
Per Paul Oren, VU is awaiting a pay day with NMSU if they receive permission from the NCAA.

NMSU is coming off a shellacking of Liberty.

Maybe not the best idea for the program. However need to continue to fund that basketball team because ?

Not sure why this would be a bad idea - more practice, more experience, outside chance of beating a FBS opponent (OK, that is really unlikely - but let's remember the Drake game a few years ago)

This is also being reported in the Las Cruces press.

usc4valpo

Drake gave Iowa State a game! Likely the best performance by a Pioneer team in the history of the conference.

vu84v2

I talked with a friend who works with Jerry Kill down at New Mexico State and this is definitely being worked. Two things need to happen: 1. New Mexico State gets a positive indication that the "only one FCS win" bowl requirement will be waived - which is possible given that there are not enough bowl eligible teams for all of the bowls, and 2. Valpo gets clearance from the NCAA to play a twelfth game as an FCS team.

valpofb16

New Mexico State just pounded 8 win Liberty. This would be a North Dakota State type of game.

In terms of Drake / Iowa state. Drake had an NFL player and a senior laden team.

We are already losing to Drake, Butler, Dayton, Saint Thomas and oddly UW Plattville in recruiting this season. Would another lob sided game do much?

usc4valpo

It's about cash baby, and Valpo needs it.

valpotx

Interesting.  I wonder how they chose us.  We aren't as much of a patsy as prior years, but they would still obviously kill us.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

Quote from: valpotx on November 27, 2022, 01:11:30 PM
Interesting.  I wonder how they chose us.  We aren't as much of a patsy as prior years, but they would still obviously kill us.

My understanding from my friend at New Mexico State is that someone on their football coaching staff is related to someone in the athletic department at Valpo...and that is the root of how this possible game started.

sliman

A grad is on the staff:  Jack "Jarnigan was a four-year starter at center for Valparaiso University in Valparaiso, Indiana from. In the 2019 season, Jarnigan earned the honor of being the Crusaders' captain. Jarnigan also helped oversee the Valparaiso community service efforts from the spring of 2017 until he graduated with his master's degree in the fall of 2019."

valpotx

Very cool, and I hope that it happens for the Seniors.  If I was a Senior on this team, I would be all about this game, and getting to say that you played an FBS program while at Valpo.  I don't see it ever happening again, and outside of the hope that no one sustains any life-altering injuries, I don't care how bad we would get beaten. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU75

Is the football team still having practice?

JD24

Quote from: VU75 on November 27, 2022, 07:45:53 PMIs the football team still having practice?
If the game has not been scheduled, they'd better not be.

FWalum

If you watch the press conference after the Drake game, Fox said that they would be able to have workouts this week (back on campus after Thanksgiving break) and then next week is when they have to stop per the NCAA.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

soapyjeans

I'm pretty sure as soon as Valpo gets the green light is when practice will commence.  I think its a great opportunity for the boys to see/feel the next level.  I watched NM play Liberty and was impressed with their QB (very creative & not afraid to run).  Liberty had a hard time predicting what NM would do next and were caught flat footed, lol.  Did I already mention NM QB, lol?  Loved his aggressive, creative style.  This would be a good opportunity for our coaches to take notes on NM and what plays they use & when they use them.   :twocents: 

vu84v2

From ESPN's website:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35131675/new-mexico-state-5-6-seeks-waiver-play-bowl-game

From the article:
New Mexico State is hoping to play another FCS team this week in Valparaiso, but Valparaiso needs an NCAA waiver to play the Aggies and is still awaiting the decision. Moccia said the Valparaiso game would allow New Mexico State to have senior day and fulfill its allotment of home games.

valpopal

I'm hearing that if Valpo gets the waiver, New Mexico State will pay VU $425,000.

valpofb16

Should let those early transfer portal guys play and start.

Might prove a market correction and keep our returning young guys healthy

soapyjeans

Hope it works out for Valpo, the amount NM will pay Valpo is impressive! 

valpotx

I assume that the bowl money that NMSU would receive, is obviously far beyond what they would be paying us, so it is win-win.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Cash baby cash and they get to enjoy killer sopapillas and green chiles. Maybe next year Valpo makes a trip to the Coliseum for the Caleb Williams experience!

Will College Game Day be at Las Cruces for this?

JD24

Game has been confirmed for this Saturday Dec 3rd at 2pm Central in Las Cruces

soapyjeans

Outstanding, the boys have to be excited about this!  Now I gotta figure if the game will be streamed, lol.   

valpofb16

Serious Q. Can the team start Kaplan?

Really no reason to risk Appel in a game like this. Kaplan is leaving anyway, can showcase why he deserves to play up.

Win-win right?

hailcrusaders

Always surprises me how much money bigger athletic programs have to work with. NMSU has been one of the worst FBS programs over the last few seasons (obviously not the case this year), and yet $425,000 is still an absurd sum of money that they're happy to fork over to us. And that's still only a fraction of most Power 5 payouts!

I wonder what the buyout is for L never mind, this is not the place for that.
#CrusadersForever