• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New OC / DC 2023 Football

Started by valpofb16, March 15, 2023, 04:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

New Coordinators:

From what I have gathered.

Offense - Matthew Symmes - Has had GA spots at Florida, South Carolina, was a scout team coach for Steelers, elevated to an interim QB coach until 2021. Then has been at ECU as a defensive analyst. Duke Grad

Defense- Dave Marquis - DC Wittenberg since 2019. Coached LBs with Fox at Dayton in 2011/12. Kent state grad.

Symmes appears to be an up & comer in the profession. Marquis is from Fox's Dayton tree.

Is it me or is Symmes a bit of a head scratcher?

FBFan22

I like both of these hires.

I know players at Wittenberg and they loved playing for Marquis. Having already worked with Fox, he'll hit the ground running and the Valpo Defense won't miss a beat.

Symmes has NFL experience with the Steelers and worked with Big Ben while there.  He'll be a great fit with the Valpo QBs.  Not sure how much play calling he has done in his career, but he's about to get his shot at it.  Hopeful he's up to the challenge.

valpofb16

Yes clarification on Symmes, last two Valpo OCs were experienced from Rhode Island and Edinboro.

Figured they'd go same route. Here's to hoping he's a QB whisperer and an offensive savant

Appel is obviously the future after last season. Probably looking at an increased load this year

IndyValpo

Symmes has a fascinating resume. QB work with stops at Duke, Florida, IU and South Carolina, then the Steelers. The only odd ball was his last stop at ECU as a defensive analyst.

valpofb16

Defensive line coach - RJ Ghilarducci will be Co defensive coordinator, really well deserved

FBFan22

That's good news!   I'm glad to hear they made things right with RJ.  He has done a great job recruiting and is a rising star leading Valpo's stongest position group (DLine).  Nice move.

Beacboy11

Agreed, my nephew played for coach Ghilarducci a couple years ago and loves him. Looks like he may be moving to linebackers based on Twitter, which is surprising. Hopefully he can continue the success he had with the DLine at a new position

JD24

Quote from: Beacboy11 on March 20, 2023, 07:09:45 AMAgreed, my nephew played for coach Ghilarducci a couple years ago and loves him. Looks like he may be moving to linebackers based on Twitter, which is surprising. Hopefully he can continue the success he had with the DLine at a new position
Vernell Price is around for the DL.

valpofb16

Price and Smith will most likely take over Dline with Smith coaching tackles in 2020-21 and Price in 2021

My guess

DL : Smith
DT : Price
ILB : Ghilarducci
OLB: Offitt
S: Marquis
CB: Fox

Pretty good defensive staff for what I believe should be a top 3 unit in PFL, maybe top 25 nationally

David81

It's fun to read about a program where there is genuine anticipation about the coming season. 😀

That's all!

valpo64

You're right David81, let's get this Fall's Pigskin Preview' back on track   :)     Time for a medical break from our basketball headache.

IndyValpo

Staff is completed with Joe Sengel at RB; last at University of Sioux Falls.

JD24

List of coaches. Prevost as Assistant Head Coach. Don't know if that's been put out there before.

https://twitter.com/valpoufootball/status/1640904148190220288

valpofb16

Nice write up for remainder of staff.  Two things stuck out.

1. Roper said Symmes has a wide open offense. Johns said his offense will be on attack for four quarters.

Tea leaves..... Appel will have a very diverse pass oriented offense and our stalling offense will be a thing of the past (think Butler).... At least in theory.

2. Rick Chamberlain said it will be hard for teams to move ball against Marquis and Fox. I don't think he said that lightly.

FBFan22

Pretty pumped about the new additions to the coaching staff -- especially on the offensive side of the ball.  No disrespect to the guys who left, but the thought of a wide open offense that attacks for 4 quarters has to have the offensive players extatic.  This is going to be fun to watch (assuming Fox let's Symmes do his thing).  Couple that with a defensive that should be at the top of the PFL, and it could be a special season at Brown Field.

There's a lot of work to do, but I can't wait to see them scrimmage on April 15.

valpofb16

Great in theory.... Need a RT , Gray got abused back half of the season. Need a LT with Byrd. 4 of top 5 WR are leaving as well.

Great in theory.

FBFan22

For sure - there are holes to fill.  In my mind, OL is the biggest concern.  RJ & Fox brought in a couple transfers for the spring, and I expect them to do the same for the fall.  Between the returning vets, the incoming Freshmen and a transfer (or 2), Prevost needs to find 5 brawlers up front that want to battle for 60 minutes (3600, right?  :P).  And, Prevost and Symmes have to scheme to hide and any weaknesses (or at least slow down the edge rushers that gave us problems last year).  This is a big opportunity for everyone in the OL room -- players and new coach alike.  Have to believe they will take advantage of that opportunity and surprise us all. 

WR is another concern.  Davis is returning - that's a good thing.  He could have a monster year and will be the leader in the WR room.  Big question is who will step up in the other 2-3 spots.  Heard the staff has shuffled a few guys to give them opportunities to get on the field at WR, but haven't heard how that's going.  Anyone heard what Matt Ross is going to do?  I believe he is still at Valpo and has eligibility left.  It would be a huge boost if he returned for another season.

Lots of work to do!

JD24

Regarding the receivers which includes the TEs...the first question I would want answered are who are your 3rd and 5 guys? That's usually a limited number of players who are your go to guys when you need a first down over the more spectacular big plays.

FBFan22

Davis (WR) and Vercher (RB) are going to be home run hitters.

3rd and 5 guys?  Hmmm....
That list starts with Evan Jernegan (TE).  Then I'd go Barett Labus (Slot/RB) and Ryan Mann (RB).   Still looking for that posession WR who runs great routes and catches everything. He might be on the roster - I just haven't seen him yet.

valpofb16

Jernegan was a big third down target last year. Receiver isn't as big of a concern as OL. Heard last years freshman WRs looking pretty good (Locke, Acker, Yeats)

FBFan22

Great to hear the young guys in the WR room are stepping up.  Hope they seize the opportunity in front of them.  With Symmes and Appel - there should be plenty of catches to go around.