• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Visible Football Facilities

Started by VULB#62, September 19, 2023, 07:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

First of all, I totally get the budgetary constraints facing Valpo. I also understand and support the athletic priorities (MBB). So this is purely aspirational and certainly not critical of our university.  But, here goes some football-specific dreams.

Brown Field has a stated capacity of 5,000 on bleachers with a basic, practical press box - pretty much the same as when I played in the 1960s (but upgraded to aluminum seating).  It has up-to-date artificial turf and semi-decent lights for night games. It is surrounded by a very good state-of- the-art track. As far as all that goes, it has a quaint attractiveness. But.....

IMO, the following PFL stadia reflect a real FCS playing environment:  USD, Dayton, Butler, MSU, Drake and PC.

College level stadia include: Marist, Stetson, UST, and Davidson (which will open a $54 million dollar football complex next season that is a larger version of the beautiful IWU complex that we just played in and that will kick it up to FCS level).

And then there is Brown Field.

Can you imagine at Valpo the combination of FCS D-I playing attractiveness with a complex like Indiana Wesleyan's?  Imagine the talent a legit FCS college stadium might attract. Imagine the crowds who'd find that game environment so much more appealing.

All that said, I know the university does not have the capital sitting around to invest in a full complex, but maybe, just maybe, it could find or raise enough to at least do three improvements to assist the football program:

>> Replace the current home side stands with expanded seating including a premium chairback section.

>> Replace the current press box with a larger capacity two level state-of-the-art press box that on the first level has some sort of "luxury" component (e.g., a large president's box or a few suites).

>> Surround the field with a modest berm (4'-6' high) topped by a steel picket fence (not 4' of chain link) or a brick wall to project the sense of an enclosed stadium.

The first two ideas are kind of a package thing. The third is more cosmetic, but would change the environment considerably.

Powerball is up to $700 million. If I win it, I'd underwrite at least these three things.

Like I said, just dreaming.

valpofb16

Love the passion. Unfortunately Valpo tried an alumni group to get helmets and alternates last season.

Goal was no where near met. I as a donor have no idea where money went,  not a huge huge deal.

Valpo honestly has blown my mind shying away from football, look at Wabash, DePauw , Marian , Saint Francis, and IWU with the capital it brings in.

It's the largest student and alumni base. Largest potential base of donors. Lower cost than basketball AND YET.

Valpo insistently pumps money into a basketball program that's had maybe 7 true 4 year seniors the past four years.

Blind leading the blind up there in some aspects

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 19, 2023, 08:38:03 PM
Love the passion. Unfortunately Valpo tried an alumni group to get helmets and alternates last season.

Goal was no where near met.
I as a donor have no idea where money went,  not a huge huge deal.

Valpo honestly has blown my mind shying away from football, look at Wabash, DePauw , Marian , Saint Francis, and IWU with the capital it brings in.

It's the largest student and alumni base. Largest potential base of donors. Lower cost than basketball AND YET.

Valpo insistently pumps money into a basketball program that's had maybe 7 true 4 year seniors the past four years.

Could have been that not all the FB alums were contacted. Me for instance.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 24, 2023, 12:49:51 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on September 19, 2023, 08:38:03 PM

Goal was no where near met.
I as a donor have no idea where money went,  not a huge huge deal.

Could have been that not all the FB alums were contacted. Me for instance.
VU sucks at communicating with alumni. Has with me for 35 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk