• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 4 - (1-3) SW Minnesota St

Started by valpofb16, September 25, 2023, 08:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Valpo hosts SW Minnesota ST next who is 10-27 their last 4 seasons and 1-3 this year. Only win is over a 0-4 Minot State.

THAT BEING SAID Massey still calls for only a 7 point win. This is the last real time (outside of maybe Stetson) that Valpo is realistically favored.

1.7 YPC won't get it done. Last week I'm hoping for the best.

20-6 Valparaiso

valpotx

Interesting fact is that my father graduated from Marshall HS in MN, which is where SW Minnesota State is based, and my Granddad was a Professor at the university for several years.  Regardless, I take Valpo:

Valpo 31
SWMSU 14
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

A low end D2 team visits Valpo. Based on previous comments, Valpo wins 28-21.

valpofb16

Don't think I've seen this before at Valpo backup QBs Michale Martins brother Marcus Martin is the starting QB at SMSU

SMSU has a massive OL and a 220 Lb RB. D is small and fast. Valpo had another FR OL quit (2 already from camp). Need to find a way to build there

covufan

A full four quarters?

VU 31 - 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soapyjeans

So far not seeing anything different from past games, argh...  I don't get it.   

valpofb16

2-0 SWMU after safety

Defense stood tall with two three and outs. Appel picked off, OL abused in short yardage. Microcosm of the season.

Side note: Offense ran bunch almost exclusively against Marist. In our own end zone no bunch formation. Can't even identify what Symmes is trying to establish

8-0 again another bomb over the corner opposite of Geiman. Valpo staring 0-11 down the barrel

VULB#62

Not a pleasant Q1 :banghead:

Valpo has a grand total of 3 yards!

VULB#62

valpofb16

Put in Keefe. At least let's see what else is on this roster.

Appel is rattled. His health is also in question with how bad the OL is.

Let some of the Freshman play on the OL.

Fox should look into moving on from Symmes immediately.

How Ja'shon Butler was the 4th back to get a carry this game is beyond me

valpofb16

Valpo drive chart:

- 3 & out
- Interception
- Safety
- Interception - TD
- 3 & out / Field Goal due to KR.

Ouch

valpofb16

Blocked kick to two yards.

Two touchdowns called back with holding. Two formations we haven't seen all season.

David81

After the punt block, VU just failed to convert close to the goal line and missed a short FGA. Yikes.

I seriously thought that Appel was the guy around whom a conference contending offense could be built, assuming he stayed at VU. He seems like a good young man and a team player, with a rocket arm to boot. I hope he can turn it around.

Maybe they find a way to get back in this game and pull off a win. But I get the sense that the program has quickly reached an inflection point, whereby all of the painstaking progress made to scratch towards respectability is at total risk.

VULB#62

might as well gamble on a score -- 10-15

VULB#62

Todd said it -  The D has kept this close despite almost incompetent offensive play. Special teams has contributed greatly only to see it wasted.

Agree, would like to see more of Butler on offensive snaps.

usc4valpo

Watching the game, on the visitor sideline, am I seeing an old swing set next to the Valpo Athletics shed?

VULB#62

I see it. Probably the rack for suspending a heavy bag to drill line blocking technique

historyman

This is really a contest to see which team can make the fewest horrendous mistakes. Penalty with 39 yards to go for a first down? ? ?  Crazy!!!

How will SW Montana State score next?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Up by 1 -- 16-15 on an Appel QB draw.  Failed 2 pt conversion.

usc4valpo

Glad to see Valpo win for sure, but truly that game was brutal to watch.

VULB#62

I looked up what you just said.

Brutal. Adj. watching the Valpo offense go 3 & out too many times to count, commit stupid penalties that negate positive plays and fail to protect the passer.

VULB#62

But I think, based on the 4th quarter play calling,  Fox recognized and will communicate to Symmes that the best protection this inexperienced OL can give Mikey is to do more play action off runs and run fakes. And, though Mikey is not a great runner, he has to have at least one set of Run Pass Option (RPO) plays that let him read on the hand-off, not just blindly hand-off, pull the ball and then either run it or throw it.

Fb16 and JD24, does this make some sense?

usc4valpo

62- actually both teams. Performance wise for both reams,  it was not as bad as seeing Celine Dion, but it was close.

valpofb16

62. The offense was completely stagnant aside from 2-3 drives. If you are under talented , you find a handful of things you do well and get great at those.

Valpo is today seemed to have its best success in a 2x1 traditional spread formation. We still saw a bunch of the motion, the pistol full house look on the goaline was rough.

I agree with you in the sense that Fox will reign in Symmes more and more. Mikey made a hell of a play at the end of the game.

And then a concept is ran with players short of the GL for the two point conversation.

Bottom line is Symmes knew talent on the line. Mikey was the leading QB in efficiency last season in the league.

He receives an F so far,
Still under 200 yards per game on O