• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 4 - (1-3) SW Minnesota St

Started by valpofb16, September 25, 2023, 08:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

One thing I did notice, to my amusement and approval, on a couple of obvious short yardage plays was the use of what I've called 'Elephant' — ya put a pair of bruisers (2 large TEs are ideal) in front of the RB and overwhelm the point of attack between the tackles. Actually, a whole series can be run off that simple set including a counter and a delay pass among others. It pretty much guarantees two+ yards. BTW, I thought that lining up the Elephant to one side of center, then shifting it to the opposite side just before the snap was a nice wrinkle.   I don't know why more teams don't use it.

VULB#62

If you want to get a visceral feel for how this game played out, click on Paul Oren's X (formerly known as Twitter) account in which he describes the frustrating sequence of drives, misses and mistakes. He captures it perfectly.

soapyjeans

Not sure its fair to blame the OL entirely, what I saw was a total lack of field vision from Valpo QB, which would explain why WR, TE are left wide open.  I'm glad they won today, but it was a ugly win against a div 2 team?  Valpo does indeed have alot of talent, its just not being used. ??? 

valpofb16

Davis dropped two touchdowns, no other player on Valpos current roster has shown the ability to break free for big plays from the LOS.

Jernegan was targeted for the 2 point conversion last game and this game.

Valpo OL is currently giving up 5 sacks a game. Pretty clear what a chunk of the problem is

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 30, 2023, 06:03:51 PMBut I think, based on the 4th quarter play calling,  Fox recognized and will communicate to Symmes that the best protection this inexperienced OL can give Mikey is to do more play action off runs and run fakes. And, though Mikey is not a great runner, he has to have at least one set of Run Pass Option (RPO) plays that let him read on the hand-off, not just blindly hand-off, pull the ball and then either run it or throw it. Fb16 and JD24, does this make some sense?
I think they have to get Appel some easier throws to get him in a good rhythm. Without watching every play it seemed as if the routes are too long too often. That could be from not getting much out of the running game and ending up in 2nd and 3rd and long but Appel was missing everything today on the intermediate and deep routes. He missed Davis wide open in the endzone at one point. Appel had room to step up out of trouble at least a few times but just isn't quick enough to do it.

Having said that, sometimes when I review the game, I realize what I thought I saw I didn't see.

vu72

Well, we get  a win over Directional U.  At least all you haters of our Brown and Gold colors can now say they know of another school sporting those same choices.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on October 01, 2023, 07:27:58 AM
Well, we get  a win over Directional U.  At least all you haters of our Brown and Gold colors can now say they know of another school sporting those same choices.

And I, for one, really like our color scheme choices so much better. The antique gold is so dull and drab. The SMSU  helmet graphics were almost invisible. Our use of the bright yellow and dark brown with white really stands out crisply. Truth be told, if you look at most all the unis of all our teams, you seldom see traditional old gold, you see bright yellow being used as a base or accent color. I like that. 

David81

Well, despite my pessimistic comments about the overall program direction during mid-game yesterday, a come-from-behind victory from 15 points down is gut-check impressive.

I recall some of our resident braintrust flagging O-line concerns way back during transfer portal discussions, and they're proving quite prescient now. It's so demoralizing when your QB is under siege and the sacks start piling up.

VULB#62

Some extra kudos to our DL. The SMSU OL went something like 6-3 338, 6-5 333, 6-3 310, 6-6 298 and 6-4 283.  The D held Agustin Donald, their 220 RB to only 57 yards and pressured their QB frequently (3 sacks) and stuffed the overall run game with 4 TFLs.  We go 260, 270, 290, and 255 across the DL.

soapyjeans

JD24  ;)
I agree with your summary, need more QB sneak play action passes, shorter routes to insure 1st downs, then maybe the OL wouldn't get so many holding calls.  At some point I'd like to see Valpo back up QB's in action to see if they have good field vision, physicality, instincts.  Valpo recruited them for a reason, it'd be good to see what any of them have in case Apple isn't ready. 

valpofb16

After seeing Jackson in action and watching the scrimmage. Mikey is the best QB on the roster, for this roster.

Only question mark would be Keefe. Slightly more mobile. Doesn't have Mikey's deep ball.

Caron is best athlete of the bunch , but with his current frame and the OL. There would be worry.

I'm more curious on the RB position. Butler has shown his explosion on several kick returns but was the 4th back to touch the ball yesterday

VULB#62

YES. Re:  Butler. He was recruited as a RB by a Pac10 FBS school. Give the kid more than a couple of carries to prove he can carry the pill.  His quickness on returns is mesmerizing. That quickness off the LOS might break big gains.  Right now, we don't have any back that has demonstrated a capability to turn the outside corner. He could be the one. But we have to have plays that allows that to happen

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on October 01, 2023, 02:14:39 PMAfter seeing Jackson in action and watching the scrimmage. Mikey is the best QB on the roster, for this roster. Only question mark would be Keefe. Slightly more mobile. Doesn't have Mikey's deep ball. Caron is best athlete of the bunch , but with his current frame and the OL. There would be worry. I'm more curious on the RB position. Butler has shown his explosion on several kick returns but was the 4th back to touch the ball yesterday
When Jackson played in the past, he appears quite limited. His only role, IMHO, is as a change of pace guy.

I think the bigger issue is RB or at least the running game. Until the running game gets going, if it ever does, it's going to be tough to throw the ball.

One thing about Appel yesterday is on the pick six against Valpo. That looked like a miscommunication between Appel and the WR. Looked like something such as Appel expected a stop route and the WR ran a curl. That'll get you in trouble real quick. Ask Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne. Point being that we (or at least I) don't know if it was a bad throw or just the QB and WR not being on the same page.

soapyjeans

I have absolutely no idea anymore.  But I believe Fox knows what he's doing, after all Valpo did pretty good last year! :twocents:

usc4valpo

Dude, in terms of the futility of Valpo football they were good last year, maybe very good, but at the grand scheme they were not pretty good, they were sub 500. We need higher expectations gang!

valpofb16

Point Blank: program needs more money and continuity (players and coaches) for higher expectations.

NotBryceDrew

Bulter was not recruited by any power conference schools. He went to Arizona as a student and walked on making the roster (still very impressive). He does not show up in any recruiting index at all which would be odd for anyone that has a single D1 offer. Also was not Pac 10 was pac 12

usc4valpo

I get it 16 - I just wish we could celebrate or set standards higher than mediocrity, and from the the commitment from the university and its fiscal challenges it's doubtlful much will change for the better. Feeling great about a 5-6 record just isn't enough for me and maybe I expect too much.