• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #7 @ (3-0) Davidson

Started by VULB#62, October 14, 2023, 10:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

To answer the Butler / Mann issue. Mann is a more downhill runner with an inexperienced line. Butler likes to bounce the ball outside.

Mann is just the better bet for a positive gain right now. Butler is the better athlete no doubt, but if the blocking isn't there you are risking negative to no gains. Which is what we've seen.

High risk high reward vs consistency.

VULB#62

JD and 16, what you  mention about my Butler question is certainly valid given the offense currently in place.  That in a round-about way was my point.

So far from what I've seen, the Valpo one-RB rushing attack is pretty one dimensional and rather predicable without the threat of misdirection or wide runs. Adding some two-RB sets with complementary counters and jets using Butler's speed and agility might open up defenses more and will certainly force opposing DCs to worry about a few more things from our ground attack. And the same sets could help the passing attack with dump offs (safety valve) passes to a back coming out of the backfield after play-action fakes.

Hey, I'm looking for anything that would help the offense lengthen drives and stay on the field longer. But here's the reality.  We are well over half-way through the season.  This type of adjustment, even if tried, would not be immediately effective and would take more than 4 practices to develop, install,  and execute. I'm just rambling out of frustration.

usc4valpo

This team might need such coaching changes at the end of the season.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 22, 2023, 03:28:01 PM
This team might need such coaching changes at the end of the season.
I don't think we are "Shields Up" need, but some changes are needed.

I didn't watch this game, but if people believe we have the talent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

The offensive coaching staff needs tweaking.

valpofb16

There are two direct losses , Maybe three you can blame purely on offensive play calling.