• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #10 - (1-5) Stetson

Started by VULB#62, November 05, 2023, 07:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Stetson lost by 20 to league leader Davidson, but they managed to score 41 points in that loss. Davidson's MO is just outscoring everyone they play. But that score indicates our D better come to play, cuz our O ain't gonna put up 61 points.

There is a 3-way tie, at 1-5, for 8th place in the PFL between  Valpo, Stetson and Presbyterian. Stetson barely beat PC 28-24 earlier this season.

But on a positive note, the players are showing real grit at this point in the season despite only two wins.  Yesterday,  that did not look like a one win team out there. They played with confidence and intensity all four quarters. Speaks well for Fox and the leadership in the locker room.

usc4valpo

62 - they are showing signs of life which is good, but hopefully Valpo will learn from past mistakes and  hesitate from giving Fox a contract extension. The results have not justified that.

JD24

Lets hope for a cold blustery Northwest Indiana day for the team from Deland, FL. They won't like it.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 05, 2023, 08:57:58 AM
62 - they are showing signs of life which is good, but hopefully Valpo will learn from past mistakes and  hesitate from giving Fox a contract extension. The results have not justified that.

This is Fox's 5th year and it is probably the last year of his initial contract.  VU will either offer an extension or not. Fox will either sign on or leave on his own accord if an offer is extended. Let's look at the body of work given the circumstances under which he has to operate.

As of 2021 these are the FB budgets of all PFL teams.....
1. Marist $1,109,661
2. St. Thomas 848,617
3. San Diego 625,288
4. Drake 589,031
5. Davidson 534,867
6. Dayton 448,971
7. Presbyterian 435,208
8. Morehead State 426,576
9. Valparaiso 414,743
10. Butler 408,435
11. Stetson 397,390
League AVG $567,162

These numbers have probably increased since 2021, but proportionally the rankings in all likelihood remain about the same.

After the 2022 season he had to replace virtually his entire staff.  With the exception of the incoming freshmen, 12 of 14 coaches on his staff had less experience with the Valpo football program than the players they coached.

Withn that context here are some of his accomplishments .......

+ 12 PFL wins over the last three seasons coming into 2023 — most in Valpo football PFL history
+  3 straight .500 PFL seasons - first since 1998-2000
+  Valpo had 4 PFL wins once in 26 seasons prior to Fox — he has had 3
+  Fox has tied for the most wins in his first 50 games since 1982

Now about 2023. This is a snake-bitten season, no doubt. Much of that can be attributed to the context above  YET.......

This squad has been in every game with only two two exceptions: Full scholly Youngstown State and PFL leader Davidson. To wit our loses:

IWU (scholly, 9-0, ranked #4 in the nation) - 2pt. Loss
Marist - one score loss in OT
Drake (6-0 in PFL play, tied w/ Davidson) - one score loss
Morehead - 3 pt. loss
Butler - 10 Pt loss

A losing record, yes.  But it is the exception that runs contrary to the body of work and is definitely not the rule.

So, to your point.  Small will not pull a Lottich 4 year extension, if that's what you are afraid of. I believe Small will offer a two year extension AND bump up the FB operating budget to meet what I think will be Fox's requests to improve his chances of improving the overall program — starting with more $$$ in the assistant coach salary bucket.

Actually, I share the fear expressed by FB16 that Fox will leave on his own despite the offer of an extension.

valpofb16

The way Fox has built this defense with what he's inherited / got in recruiting.

He would do great in a lot a lot of places

David81

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 05, 2023, 10:58:50 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 05, 2023, 08:57:58 AM

This is Fox's 5th year and it is probably the last year of his initial contract.  VU will either offer an extension or not. Fox will either sign on or leave on his own accord if an offer is extended. Let's look at the body of work given the circumstances under which he has to operate.

As of 2021 these are the FB budgets of all PFL teams.....
1. Marist $1,109,661
2. St. Thomas 848,617
3. San Diego 625,288
4. Drake 589,031
5. Davidson 534,867
6. Dayton 448,971
7. Presbyterian 435,208
8. Morehead State 426,576
9. Valparaiso 414,743
10. Butler 408,435
11. Stetson 397,390
League AVG $567,162

These numbers have probably increased since 2021, but proportionally the rankings in all likelihood remain about the same.

After the 2022 season he had to replace virtually his entire staff.  With the exception of the incoming freshmen, 12 of 14 coaches on his staff had less experience with the Valpo football program than the players they coached.

Withn that context here are some of his accomplishments .......

+ 12 PFL wins over the last three seasons coming into 2023 — most in Valpo football PFL history
+  3 straight .500 PFL seasons - first since 1998-2000
+  Valpo had 4 PFL wins once in 26 seasons prior to Fox — he has had 3
+  Fox has tied for the most wins in his first 50 games since 1982

Now about 2023. This is a snake-bitten season, no doubt. Much of that can be attributed to the context above  YET.......

This squad has been in every game with only two two exceptions: Full scholly Youngstown State and PFL leader Davidson. To wit our loses:

IWU (scholly, 9-0, ranked #4 in the nation) - 2pt. Loss
Marist - one score loss in OT
Drake (6-0 in PFL play, tied w/ Davidson) - one score loss
Morehead - 3 pt. loss
Butler - 10 Pt loss

A losing record, yes.  But it is the exception that runs contrary to the body of work and is definitely not the rule.

So, to your point.  Small will not pull a Lottich 4 year extension, if that's what you are afraid of. I believe Small will offer a two year extension AND bump up the FB operating budget to meet what I think will be Fox's requests to improve his chances of improving the overall program — starting with more $$$ in the assistant coach salary bucket.

Actually, I share the fear expressed by FB16 that Fox will leave on his own despite the offer of an extension.

VULB#62 makes a persuasive case for retention with a shorter leash. It is arguable that Coach Fox has done as well as anyone could reasonably expect under the overall circumstances. This season and last season have produced a lot of frustrations over lost chances, but at least VU fields a respectable team every week.

The bigger question is VU's level of commitment to building a more successful football program. Without that stronger commitment, VU can change head coaches, and 3-5 years later we'll be having the same discussion here. However, given VU's current financial status and its obvious investment in rebuilding the MBB program, it's hard to see where that added support comes from.

usc4valpo

If Valpo invested more in football, would male enrollment increase or with Valpo providing less tuition discount, seeing that the school is committing to making a quality football program?

You gotta spend money to make money perhaps.

JD24

Quote from: David81 on November 05, 2023, 01:05:18 PMVULB#62 makes a persuasive case for retention with a shorter leash. It is arguable that Coach Fox has done as well as anyone could reasonably expect under the overall circumstances. This season and last season have produced a lot of frustrations over lost chances, but at least VU fields a respectable team every week. The bigger question is VU's level of commitment to building a more successful football program. Without that stronger commitment, VU can change head coaches, and 3-5 years later we'll be having the same discussion here. However, given VU's current financial status and its obvious investment in rebuilding the MBB program, it's hard to see where that added support comes from.
62 provided an excellent summation and David and excellent conclusion.

Changing the coach at this point would accomplish zero without more of a commitment to the football program...one I doubt Valpo is willing to make. Right now "at least we're in the games" is the best we can hope for with some years some of the closer games going Valpo's way which has not happened this year.

We'd be wasting our collective breath's calling for the coaches job.

valpofb16

Winning against Stetson would be great. I would still say that a new OC is greatly needed.

Prevost was Flemings hire before he left I can't see him back, the team cycled through three RB coaches and two WR coaches last spring under Symmes.

Our incredibly efficient QB from 2022 was awfully inefficient and put in dangerous situations. There was useless motions, empty goal line sets, and Left tackles jumping down in the slots.

If Valpo / Fox are serious about winning. Symmes should be gone December 1.

This is not a building situation, 2/3 top players on O from Saturday were incumbent seniors. Our third touchdown was Butler, another senior.

If Symmes is back how bleak does Valpos 2024 offense look?

usc4valpo

I get it on Fox, and it's a tough job with limited funds. I just don't want to see Small pull a Lottich extension which was boneheaded.

valpofb16

Fox will have the Valpo job as long as he wants it. Maneuvering off Basketball HC money and Football HC money are two different animals

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo14

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 05, 2023, 07:55:29 PM
Winning against Stetson would be great. I would still say that a new OC is greatly needed.

Prevost was Flemings hire before he left I can't see him back, the team cycled through three RB coaches and two WR coaches last spring under Symmes.

Our incredibly efficient QB from 2022 was awfully inefficient and put in dangerous situations. There was useless motions, empty goal line sets, and Left tackles jumping down in the slots.

If Valpo / Fox are serious about winning. Symmes should be gone December 1.

This is not a building situation, 2/3 top players on O from Saturday were incumbent seniors. Our third touchdown was Butler, another senior.

If Symmes is back how bleak does Valpos 2024 offense look?

Love how you talk about our OC(NFL and power 5 experience) yet you know more since you played at Valpo?

valpofb16

What  of the above stated things has not happened this season?

Also why's he still not in the Power 5 or NFL?

Finally, if alumni aren't allowed to be critical than who is?

usc4valpo

14 - Valpo's offense is a direct reflection of the greatness of Brian Ferentz. It needs major revision.

JD24

Quote from: Valpo14 on November 06, 2023, 04:34:05 AMLove how you talk about our OC(NFL and power 5 experience) yet you know more since you played at Valpo?
I would think going from the Steelers through a couple of other jobs through to Valpo would be heading in the wrong direction but that's just me.

What I've seen out of Valpo's offense hasn't been good.

covufan

Learning how to win

Valpo 31
Stetson 21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpofb16

Graves hasn't dropped a punt in 8 weeks. Sub in Gundy because?

3 picks in first 17 minutes. Who's QB coach again, why are we throwing lateral routes at the sub 50 yard line when Stetson gives up the highest run/rush yards in FCS.

JD24

Rowan....you're playing with the team in Brown. That's who you throw it to.

valpofb16

They give up 6.5 ypc and RB is our deepest position. Am I missing something?

valpofb16

Go ahead touchdown and we have a FR come in who has two collegiate Carrie's at QB.

4th and 2 game on line. Throw an out route to the TE that isn't even at the sticks.

vu72

We are pretty bad.  It's that simple.  Stetson starts out running something like 16 straight plays for -3 yards all because of our turnovers.  We need to go to OT because of a missed extra point!  The season needs to be over and hopefully it won't end on an embarrassing blowout at St. Thomas.

Having complained about the football performance I do want to applaud the broadcast team.  It is as good as any college student run broadcast I have seen. Things like play clock showing, down and yards to go shown on the field, great camera work and replays, and colorized red one,  just first class!  Thank you!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

Without two blocked punts and an overtime spot, we put up 6 points against the worst defense in the PFL

VULB#62

Not about our game but didja see the Morehead-Davidson score?  47-17 MSU.  :o

MSU QB threw 6 TDs in his first start ever. MSU D had 6 pics.

VULB#62

One more point. The Tommies beat a depleted USD team only 20-14 today.

There is a modicum of hope when we travel to St. Paul.