• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Matthes in the 2023 FCS Bowl

Started by VULB#62, December 14, 2023, 04:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

The kid averaged 50.8 yards per punt on 4 punts, one of which went 69 yards.  :clap:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2023-24/22509/matthes-competes-in-fcs-bowl/

He probably was the most positively consistent player on the squad all season long. Very dependable. Wish him well. Perhaps he gets a pro FA  invite after the draft. At 6-3, 215, he has the size and obviously the leg strength and swing speed to compete.

valpotx

Valpo Football, the place for Punters to get consistent action and work :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

TX, ya got that straight on.  Over the last decade we have had three great punters that have gotten us out of holes that our offense had put us in.  Standing O for Mattes, Niesner and Wood.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 15, 2023, 11:10:36 PM
TX, ya got that straight on.  Over the last decade we have had three great punters that have gotten u# out of holes that our offense had put us in  standing O for Mattes, Niesner and Wood.

Even Brad "Appreciates a good Beacon" Pitt was standing for our punters.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpofb16

Congrats to Evan. Have to imagine next one will be a transfer

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on December 16, 2023, 02:30:11 PM
Congrats to Evan. Have to imagine next one will be a transfer

So far two for two for Punters in the Portal.

valpotx

We could even go way back to my time on campus with a Colorado State transfer that did well.  For the life of me, I can't remember his name, but he loved to show off his CSU bowl win ring from the year prior.
"Don't mess with Texas"

David81

Quote from: valpotx on December 15, 2023, 02:26:08 PM
Valpo Football, the place for Punters to get consistent action and work :)

We're becoming the "Punt U." of the FCS!