• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ray McCallum Jr.

Started by KL31NY, March 06, 2012, 10:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

Figure this deserves its own thread before it becomes all we're taking about on the Valpo vs. Detroit game thread...

Who wouldn't be excited in that situation, but who could have handled it better? He was really geeked up tonight, and while I want to respect his passion and be objective about this... I mean wow. Pounding on our logo at halfcourt, directing his celebrations to the camera, and dunking in an 18-point game in the final seconds?!?!?!? (They didn't show it on ESPN, can anyone explain what kind of dunk it was?)

My early thoughts, yours?
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

swiftmutiny

Quote from: KL31NY on March 06, 2012, 10:21:35 PM
...but who could have handled it better?

Anyone. It was particularly hilarious given that the ESPN announcers were talking right at the beginning of the game about how "mature" he is. Laughs were had by all.

milanmiracle

After the taunting and self celebration little Jr. was doing, there'd have been no dunks allowed. Period. Think Detroit Pistons with Isiah and Bill Laimbeer.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

StlVUFan

Brings to mind Michael Watson.

DMvalpo18

Extremely inappropriate and uncalled for. Simple as that. But the coach's son won't take any heat for it I don't think.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: KL31NY on March 06, 2012, 10:21:35 PM
Figure this deserves its own thread before it becomes all we're taking about on the Valpo vs. Detroit game thread...

Who wouldn't be excited in that situation, but who could have handled it better? He was really geeked up tonight, and while I want to respect his passion and be objective about this... I mean wow. Pounding on our logo at halfcourt, directing his celebrations to the camera, and dunking in an 18-point game in the final seconds?!?!?!? (They didn't show it on ESPN, can anyone explain what kind of dunk it was?)

My early thoughts, yours?

By the way, the dunk was just him taking it downcourt and taking off of two feet for a strong two-handed jam.

KL31NY

Thanks for the details DM. Wonder if anyone has video to determine whether it went off on time maybe? I posted in the game thread that there are conflicting reports about whether Detroit and Ray ended with 70/68 and 21/19 respectively.

All that aside, to the young fella, act your age, not your jersey #. Don't want to feel like vomiting when I see him and UDM in the tourney. I always want, key word "want," to able to have some support for the HL teams that go postseason. Represent well, everyone. We're watching you!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

Crusader03

Quote from: KL31NY on March 06, 2012, 11:14:07 PM
Thanks for the details DM. Wonder if anyone has video to determine whether it went off on time maybe? I posted in the game thread that there are conflicting reports about whether Detroit and Ray ended with 70/68 and 21/19 respectively.

All that aside, to the young fella, act your age, not your jersey #. Don't want to feel like vomiting when I see him and UDM in the tourney. I always want, key word "want," to able to have some support for the HL teams that go postseason. Represent well, everyone. We're watching you!

It was definitely before the horn.

StlVUFan

According to Lazerus' write up, he thought time had already expired.  So did I, come to think of it.  I still don't like it, but when he discovered that it counted, he apologized.

I still think the classy thing to do is just dribble it out, like you usually see.  Honestly, I don't know if he's done that before.  This is a bigger moment than usual.

I also think if you were going to do that, you should save it for THE title game in April.  Act like you still have work to do.

bbtds

Wow, Ray Jr. did act like a douche bag at the end and many times during the game. I think he wanted his dad to hug him but Ray Sr. just couldn't bring himself to hug Ray Jr. back.

valpotx

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 06, 2012, 11:27:32 PM
According to Lazerus' write up, he thought time had already expired.  So did I, come to think of it.  I still don't like it, but when he discovered that it counted, he apologized.

I still think the classy thing to do is just dribble it out, like you usually see.  Honestly, I don't know if he's done that before.  This is a bigger moment than usual.

I also think if you were going to do that, you should save it for THE title game in April.  Act like you still have work to do.

Oh come on, do you really believe that?  He very well knew that it was still in play, he just realized he looked like an @$$, so tried to make himself look better.  You know when the horn sounds and when the basket lights up lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

I didn't say I bought his apology, just that he gave one.

sectionee

The game isn't over until that loud horn sounds....the cheering wasn't that loud to drown it out.  I thought the rest of Detroit's team was very respectful in their celebration minus Jr.  He needs to grow up.  Quit putting on the show for the cameras and act like a respectful team leader.  If he does he is going to be a star. 

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on March 06, 2012, 11:28:55 PM
Wow, Ray Jr. did act like a douche bag at the end and many times during the game. I think he wanted his dad to hug him but Ray Sr. just couldn't bring himself to hug Ray Jr. back.

can you blame him? after a dickhead move like he pulled, i wouldn't hug him back either.

historyman

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 07, 2012, 06:51:32 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 06, 2012, 11:28:55 PM

can you blame him? after a dickhead move like he pulled, i wouldn't hug him back either.

Yes, it was a tough way to lose. What motivates one student athlete does not motivate another. Ray Jr certainly has a lot to learn about sportsmanship. But it did work for him to act like an ass because it kept the momentum in Detroit's favor. Valpo could never quite turn the tide on their home court having played only their second game in 11 days while the Titans played 4 games in 8 days. That was quite a mountain to climb. Ray Sr might not have raised a son who respects his opposition but Ray tried to teach it before the game and he kept fairly calm and did not blow it like he had in many games this year. Kudos to Ray Sr for his decided turn in coaching ability and Ray Jr for finding a way not to let the momentum swing. Ray Jr will fit in with one of the losing teams in the NBA quite nicely. How long he spends in the NBA will depend on how quickly Ray Jr grows up. In the end the talent of the Titans, no matter how unsportsmanlike, won out over the Christian, character men of Valpo. Detroit is the team that is dancing and Valpo plays in the NIT where no fans remember anything about you unless you win it all and that fades pretty quickly.

lowposter

Glad I turned it off with 2 minutes to go. 

He is quite a talent and if he wants to behave like that....he can.  He just came out the 2H and took over the game.  That kind of explosive talent is difficult to defend, particularly when he gets on a roll.

The best thing we can do is simply get over it.

lowposter

historyman

Quote from: lowposter on March 07, 2012, 07:32:27 AM
Glad I turned it off with 2 minutes to go. 

He is quite a talent and if he wants to behave like that....he can.  He just came out the 2H and took over the game.  That kind of explosive talent is difficult to defend, particularly when he gets on a roll.

The best thing we can do is simply get over it.

lowposter

Totally agree. We also need to stop setting ourselves up for great disappointment by looking too far ahead. It is quite possible that Valpo finishes third or lower next year and loses their third game in the tourney to the #2 seed. We are setting ourselves up for a big fall. It still would not be as big a fall as Butler fans went through from going to 2 National championship games to losing in the HL tourney. But when you expect too much the fall can be extremely tough when you get to the bottom. Keep it in perspective.

hoopfan22

Maybe we need a mccallum like attitude guy on the team.

Valpo10

Quote from: hoopfan22 on March 07, 2012, 08:46:31 AM

This.

Imitidated our players along with the fact that his energy boosted his team.  Say what you want about his class, but he was the first one running over to teammates to high-five them for something good or tell them to chill if they did something bad.

Let's all be real to, if Ray McCallum (or player like him) wanted to come to Valpo, we'd take him in a heartbeat regardless of last-second dunking.

crusaderdad

this^^^

wh

Quote from: Valpo10 on March 07, 2012, 09:08:21 AM

This.

Imitidated our players along with the fact that his energy boosted his team.  Say what you want about his class, but he was the first one running over to teammates to high-five them for something good or tell them to chill if they did something bad.

Let's all be real to, if Ray McCallum (or player like him) wanted to come to Valpo, we'd take him in a heartbeat regardless of last-second dunking.

Do you think he would act like a classless fool if he played for Valparaiso and Bryce Drew?  Or Butler and Brad Stevens?  Or Wright State and Billy Donlon?  Or any of several other high quality programs and coaches in the Horizon League?  His actions are just more evidence of the systemic problem that is Detroit Mercy basketball, authored by his father and supported by a clueless A.D. and university officials.

hoopfan22

Quote from: wh on March 07, 2012, 09:32:49 AM
Quote from: Valpo10 on March 07, 2012, 09:08:21 AM

This.

Do you think he would act like a classless fool if he played for Valparaiso and Bryce Drew?  Or Butler and Brad Stevens?  Or Wright State and Billy Donlon?  Or any of several other high quality programs and coaches in the Horizon League?  His actions are just more evidence of the systemic problem that is Detroit Mercy basketball, authored by his father and supported by a clueless A.D. and university officials.

Remember the ever so classy Tony V at center? Remember how tough we were?

wh

Quote from: crusaderdad on March 07, 2012, 09:16:55 AM

this^^^

Wrong message, wrong messenger...

valpo84

I'm still curious why when Richie displayed emotion, he was given a T. When McCallum does it he's said to play with emotion and was motivating. I also remember Brandon Wood hitting a few 3s in a row, coming back to the bench pumped up and emoting and was hit with a T. But, it's ok because when it's on the Mothership, it's about leadership and willing his team to victory. And suddenly Ray McCallum Sr is a genius head coach. A coach who in his pregame speech has to remind his players to get back on defense after a dunk instead of posing and looking for the cameras. Great coaching advice.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

KL31NY

Just watched the presser on Detroit's website. Ray's apology- "I was not trying to disrespect them or anything, I just got excited being in the moment... I actually thought that the time had run out... I apologize for that, I just got caught up in the moment."

I'm not buying this 100%, but I at least appreciate how he handled himself when asked about it. He is still a great talent who can take it to another gear like the best of them. I hope he realizes that the next situation like last night's will need more composure and sportsmanship, and that he can do that while still keeping that unbridled energy he gets when he is on.