• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Replacement Refs

Started by KL31NY, September 25, 2012, 01:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

As a Packer fan, I've had about 15 full shares of video, audio, reactions, etc. about last night's ending to the Packers-Seahawks game. Given the impact of the game, which clearly was influenced greatly by the refs, a lot of people are hopeful that this game was the last called by replacement refs. I'd hope so, but I don't think it's realistic. It'll likely be weeks if not next season before we get the real refs back. Anyone else have thoughts?
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

historyman

Even if the "real" referees come back they will have had no preseason games to get ready and will be somewhat out of sync going into their first week of games. I think it will be a few more games before fans can expect the officiating in the NFL to finally return to the form one is accustomed to viewing. Even then many fans didn't think the "real" NFL officiating was that great and many calls will be hugely disputed no matter who is officiating.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Two points: 
(1)  The players have no respect for the current crews (rightfully so) and are pushing the rules envelope to test how far they can go, because they don't know what interpretation of the rules will apply game to game or even quarter to quarter.  The result in many cases is increased risk of severe injury.  I am Bi-Fanual (Pats and Packers) and the hits delivered by Ed Reese to Edelman and Branch were way over the top - only one called.  In contrast the previous week, Pats OLB Jerod Mayo only put a shoulder (not a helmet) into a "defenseless" receiver's mid section (not the head) and received a $21,000 fine but no flag was thrown.  Can't imagine what Reese's fines will be.
(2)  Fans have been forced into the same boat expectations-wise.  Play-to-play we don't know what to expect -- phantom penalties or ignored infractions. The same official who signaled TD at the end of last night's game was 5 yards away from Tate's flagrant and obvious push that sent the GB DB flying and didn't call it.  He also was second to arrive at the pile -- the back judge got there first, and from his better angle signaled touchback.  The game has changed significantly in just 3 weeks. 

IMO The veteran refs, even while a bit rusty, will at least provide much more consistent officiating and experienced interpretation of the rules, and the players will stop pushing the envelope and get back to playing the game the way it is supposed to be played.

VULB#62

And another (for parochial reasons) perspective:   :-[

I am on a consulting engagement in northern Ontario Canada, 400 miles north of Toronto (I see moose on my way to the pulp mill at least every other morning).  All media up here, local and including Canadian national TV, is flabbergasted at the the GB-Seattle ending.  This is not just a US thing.  Our friends north of the border are incredulous over this as well  -- but they smile when they cover it.  The NFL owners have made their brand an international laughingstock.  And for what?  The $3 million it would cost is what the NFL makes on merely merchandize sales on one Sunday.  Ah, but one must stand by one's principles.