• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football scheduling

Started by IndyValpo, October 30, 2015, 07:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

If we are going to play other FCS schools this is a conference we need to try to work with.....

http://thebrownandwhite.com/2015/10/29/pl-football-scheduling/

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on October 30, 2015, 07:29:53 AM
If we are going to play other FCS schools this is a conference we need to try to work with.....

http://thebrownandwhite.com/2015/10/29/pl-football-scheduling/
Would love to see these teams on the Valpo Football schedule.  Which of these schools have a large Chicago area alumni and could use a game at Valpo?  Would also like to see Valpo develop a relationship with these schools that leads to some basketball scheduling.

VU2624

Yeah....it's not like any of our coaches have any connection to the Patriot League at all.

Be careful what you wish for. All of these teams would wipe the floor with Valpo.

historyman

Quote from: VU2624 on October 31, 2015, 10:40:06 AMBe careful what you wish for. All of these teams would wipe the floor with Valpo.

So true. It doesn't mean that Valpo couldn't compete with these Patriot League teams in the future but it will take Valpo improving in recruiting and the coaching staff. I do think Cecchini is the right guy for the job it's just that he will need more support from other's on the coaching staff. Establishing some depth on both offense and defense is vitally important so Valpo can withstand the multiple injuries they suffered this year.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusadermoe

We played Holy Cross.    Maybe I have said this before, but because of the campus culture, you almost need to recruit guys in bunches so they can have some fun together.  The university today seems a bit boring and to take itself too seriously.

usc4valpo

Valpo has a long. long way to go before even considering this. First of all 252 out of 253 will not impress the Patriot league.

VULB#62

Below is the Football scheduling policy as of this September in MLB's Crusader Report.  Right now, we are contractually committed to play one full scholarship program and one other FCS team every year through 2018.   Of the former, in addition to Illinois State next year we play Montana (2017), Youngstown State (2018), and EKU in 2019.  The next tier is represented by NEC teams - SHU (A) and Duquesne (H&A).  No Patriots League teams are yet on the schedule, but there is room for some in 2019 and 2020. (see attachment - click to enlarge).

Division I Football Championship Subdivision schools play a standard 11 game schedule. With 8 games dedicated to Pioneer Football League play that leaves three non-conference games. Ideally each year we will play one game against an FCS team with a full complement of scholarships, one game against a Division I opponent with some scholarship restrictions (Ivy League, Patriot League or Northeast Conference) and one game against a regional Division II or NAIA school.

Games against full scholarship teams allow our players to test themselves against top competition and in memorable environments. In addition the guarantee pay outs for these games now regularly exceed $100,000 and this money is reinvested into the football program. Patriot, Ivy and Northeast teams are our best option to schedule home and home series against other Division I programs, since they do not offer as much scholarship support. Top level PFL teams over the last couple seasons have proven able to win these games. Lastly, with the high level of the other two games, ideally our third non-conference opponent each year will balance the schedule with less of a challenge. We will look regionally to NAIA and some Division II programs to fill this spot.

We want our football non-conference schedule to help move the program forward and prepare us for Pioneer Football League play. Our current approach does so by offering a good mix of competition levels, bringing in additional resources, signaling our place as a Division I program and appealing to recruits. Below is a look at our non-conference opponents over the next several seasons and how each one fits with the three scheduling categories outlined above.

usc4valpo

Quality wise, per the eye test, Valpo and the Pioneer League for the most part plays at a Division 3 football level. They drew 732 fans for Stetson - by comparison I would wonder what Patriot League teams draw.

VULB#62

NCAA 2013 overall attendance figures by conferences:

LEAGUE             TEAMS     GAMES     TOTAL          AV/GAME
Patriot League        7             40       226,602        5,665
Pioneer FB League  12            71       291,930       4,112

usc4valpo