• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Place your choice for the next women’s B.B. coach here

Started by IndyValpo, March 11, 2018, 12:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 11, 2018, 12:51:58 PM
http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/beth_cunningham_799117.html

Here is mine. Not sure she would leave ND for us though

Not a chance. She left the VCU head coach position to return to Notre Dame as an assistant.  Either she is waiting to take over for McGraw or she is making way more money then we could pay her.  either way, it won't happen.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

I honestly couldn't tell you any specific names but I have a "wish-list" of characteristics I'd like to see:
-ties to the Region
-Potential to be a strong recruiter
-Cost-effective option. I'm not for the idea of ponying up big $ to hire someone on their initial contract. If the coach proves they can succeed then reward them in their second contract/extension.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on March 11, 2018, 01:59:48 PM
I honestly couldn't tell you any specific names but I have "wish-list" of characteristics I'd like to see:
-ties to the Region [T-5] *
-Potential to be a strong recruiter [2]
-Cost-effective option. I'm not for the idea of ponying up big $ to hire someone on their initial contract. If the coach proves they can succeed then reward them in their second contract/extension. [T-5]

Adding [with my priorities in brackets]...

- Winning D-I experience as a low mid-major level D-I HC or a Top D-I Mid-Major assistant [1]
- Demonstrated developmental skills [T-3]
- Demonstrated in-game management skills [T-3]
- Ability to attract good assistants [7]

* While I see the positive aspect of NW Indiana ties, Valpo WBB, like MBB, competes for talent in the region against ND, Purdue and maybe to a lesser extent IU.  The next coach needs to have D-I feelers and contacts out in what MLB was quoted as saying "a wider net" to make us MVC-competitive.

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on March 11, 2018, 01:21:45 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on March 11, 2018, 12:51:58 PM
http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/beth_cunningham_799117.html

Here is mine. Not sure she would leave ND for us though

Not a chance. She left the VCU head coach position to return to Notre Dame as an assistant.  Either she is waiting to take over for McGraw or she is making way more money then we could pay her.  either way, it won't happen.

While you are probably correct, there is much more to the VCU story than simply returning to ND.

usc4valpo

valpotx

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 11, 2018, 04:26:16 PM
Mark Morefield.

Never in a million years.  I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, but he is not ever going to be an option at Valpo.  He can stay at D-3 Mary-Hardin Baylor.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

The next coach will not be young. She or he will be expererienced and will bring intangibles to the table that MLB thinks will put us over the top. Our model will be UWGB.  UWGB 's roster has no player from outside the state of Wisconsin. How the heck does he do it?

jack

Just my opinion - The biggest problem we've had the last 6 years is the lack of ability to develop young players. This level of play requires a coach that can take these players and their talents, and help to develop them into the best they can be to compete at the D1 level. This staff has seemed to operate on the "plug and play" philosophy, bringing in players and expecting them to continue on with the roles they played in high school. This may work for a D2 program, but you can't have success in D1 with that mentality. It always seems that the teams these past several years have gotten worse fundamentally, and we don't see the progress we should see. I've always felt we have to bring in someone that knows how to work with the bigs, inside. I thought maybe Rees would be that guy. Our inside game has been awful. Our footwork and block out skills have been non-existent for a long time.
If this school is serious about winning, they need to bring someone in that understands how to coach at this level.

covufan

My  :twocents:

Pick some programs that we want to emulate - Notre Dame, Baylor, Green Bay, Drake, S. Dakota St, among others come to mind.  If we can somehow talk to the head coaches at these places, even if only through email, to get a sense of what is required (training facilities, AD support, Admin support, etc.) to be successful at the Division I level.  Then ask for what skills are necessary from a HC to be successful.  Then inquire if they know of any young assistants that are eager to make their mark at a University such as Valparaiso. 

Reach out to Scott Drew to see if any assistant in the Baylor women's program would be willing to take on VU.  I'd really be looking at the GB assistants, since they are familiar with our program. 

Good luck to ml!

valpo64

I would think that Green Bay coaches, all of them would be a good starting point

VULB#62

UWGB WBB is an incredibly unique situation.  Coach Borseth has been there for two stints bookending 5 years as HWBB coach at the U of Michigan.  He has an 18 year D-I record of 410-158. His assistants, all women, are from WI (2), MN (1) and SD (1).  What makes UWGB distictive is that they usually have a roster made up entirely of kids from Wisconsin.  This year there is a little break with that in that they have two freshmen from out of state (MN and SD).  They are very young (only 2 seniors, one of whom is their top scorer) but still earned a #7 seed in the 2018 NCAA Tourney.

Wisconsin is not reknowned for producing world class basketball players, yet UWGB consistently wins year-in and year-out. So it has got to come down to player development.  Actually, Borseth has two coaches with "player development" as a part of their "expanded" job title.

Dave_2010

I'm disappointed the conversation made it this far without the requisite Dana Shaw joke...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covufan

Quote from: Dave_2010 on March 13, 2018, 02:20:17 PM
I'm disappointed the conversation made it this far without the requisite Dana Shaw joke...

Setshot wouldn't like any nepotism conversations, joke or not.

justducky

Quote from: covufan on March 13, 2018, 02:49:23 PM

How quickly we forget! It took me a full 40 seconds before I pieced together who Dana Shaw is. Duh!

VULB#62

Quote from: justducky on March 14, 2018, 04:49:52 PM
How quickly we forget! It took me a full 40 seconds before I pieced together who Dana Shaw is. Duh!

Do share.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on March 14, 2018, 03:54:09 PM
https://twitter.com/PostTribSports/status/974022535623905282
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-womens-basketball-valparaiso-tracey-dorow-st-0313-20180312-story.html

So..............  what does this tell us about who MLB is REALLY going after?   Which schools is he targeting?  Neither Dave or Kate were head coaches.  Does that mean he's looking at up-and-coming top assistants?  Is he focusing on PRIVATE D-I WBB programs?  What's your guess?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 14, 2018, 04:53:11 PM

Do share.

Not sure if you are serious, but I'll take the bait!  Dana Shaw is Homer and Janet's daughter.  She is married to Casey Shaw, former NBA player and current Vanderbilt assistant coach.  Dana was an All-American at Toledo and MAC POY twice. She is also a lawyer and Bryce's agent.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Dave_2010

Quote from: vu72 on March 14, 2018, 06:22:07 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 14, 2018, 04:53:11 PM

Do share.

Not sure if you are serious, but I'll take the bait!  Dana Shaw is Homer and Janet's daughter.  She is married to Casey Shaw, former NBA player and current Vanderbilt assistant coach.  Dana was an All-American at Toledo and MAC POY twice. She is also a lawyer and Bryce's agent.

She is also a freshly minted MAC Hall of Famer.