• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football Staff

Started by IndyValpo, March 05, 2019, 10:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

There are three holdovers from last year.
Moore DC/DB
Greiner OLB
Smith RB

Will any be retained?

Interesting that Snyder left after the season but was supposedly an HC candidate. Could he be talked into returning?

VULB#62

Two of the three are D guys. I don't know Greiner at all. I do know Moore and have respect for him. I do not think he will be the DC but I hope the young man stays on staff. If he does he will gain by what he learns under Fox. Can't comment on Smith either, but as some on the board have stated, RB is our strength right now. If he is tight with those kids and has noticably helped in their development, then he might be a good guy to hold onto.

JD24

The RB group, in terms of who's been playing amongst those coming back over the last few years has been pretty much the same guys. Cartales, Boxrucker and Elias a bit. I don't think they're any different than they were in year one other than I don't think Boxrucker has either advanced or been used enough. So I'm not sure any coach should be retained or not retained based on last year's performance (Snyder was the RB coach the prior year).

I'd like to see a complete break defensively.

JD24

Dayton connection. Wonder if they've told Coach Moore this little detail.

NWIGuy

My guess is that Moore knew he was out almost immediately after Fox was hired.

With Fox being a defensive guy, he was either going to coordinate the def himself or get a guy in there who would run HIS system. Moore's only chance of staying on as DC was if an offensive-minded guy wanted to keep the current def staff in place. Hard to stay the same school when demoted back to a position coach. I suppose MAYBE Moore would stay on as a def asst. if Fox really wants to keep him, but Dougherty is a DB guy by experience. Don't see Moore working the LB or DL.

IndyValpo

Quote from: NWIGuy on March 11, 2019, 08:37:36 PM
Haven't seen an official announcement yet but...
https://twitter.com/CoachBDoc...
http://www.gotiffindragons.com/sports/fball/coaches/dougherty?view=bio...

On paper this hire is incredibly underwhelming. But what do I know...

VULB#62

Thanks for the update NWIGuy. Good to see the staff coming together. If Ernest is gone, I can only wish him the best going forward. Hope he finds a good landing spot. If he stays, I'm sure Coach Fox will find a way to use him effectively.

And Indy, just like DC, whose OC was Miran, I suspect Dougherty (like Miran in DC's offense) will handle the day to day practice planning, but Fox will pull the strings over that whole side of the ball.

But the MOST IMPORTANT hire (IMO) will be the OC. That is gonna be BIG. It'll tell us a lot about what direction this team will take when we have the ball. This guy will bring in the system (unless Fox just brings over the Dayton playbook).

valpofb16

Brian Dougherty football career so far:

2010-12 Miami(OH): Did not play football, was a student manager
2013 Millikin: Intern/Corners
2014-15 Ball State: Grad Assistant (2nd wide receivers coach)
2015-16 Dayton: Corners Coach
2017-18: Tiffin Defensive Backs Coach

I have always been a firm believer that secondaries should be coached by someone who has played the position. This should be Fox's defense which he stated will be the one he had at Dayton. A 4-2-5, but wow left field

JD24

Quote from: NWIGuy on March 11, 2019, 09:45:35 PMMy guess is that Moore knew he was out almost immediately after Fox was hired. With Fox being a defensive guy, he was either going to coordinate the def himself or get a guy in there who would run HIS system. Moore's only chance of staying on as DC was if an offensive-minded guy wanted to keep the current def staff in place. Hard to stay the same school when demoted back to a position coach. I suppose MAYBE Moore would stay on as a def asst. if Fox really wants to keep him, but Dougherty is a DB guy by experience. Don't see Moore working the LB or DL.
I agree with all of this. My comment was due to the fact that both Valpo's website and Moore's twitter account still listed him as DC as of last night while the new DC's twitter had been updated to reflect him as Valpo's DC and I think his name was removed from the Tiffin coaches page.

JD24

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 11, 2019, 10:50:13 PM
Quote from: NWIGuy on March 11, 2019, 08:37:36 PMHaven't seen an official announcement yet but... https://twitter.com/CoachBDoc... http://www.gotiffindragons.com/sports/fball/coaches/dougherty?view=bio...
On paper this hire is incredibly underwhelming. But what do I know...
I don't disagree but when you step back, Fox probably only needs to have a guy to run his defense and thus the Dayton connection. I'm actually more interested in the offensive staff.

IndyValpo

You can't deny Dayton's defense has been superior for years. It will be fascinating to see our current defensive players fit in a 4-2-5 approach. We have recruited to a 4 linebacker scheme. Lots of excess players at that position. Perhaps there are potential TE's or WR's in the group. Maybe a kicker and punter ...

valpofb16

IU made a similar transition when Allen took over the head coaching position. I remember it effected one player TJ Simmons in particular. Bigger inside linebacker who really couldn't work sideline to sideline. I think he ended up redshirting and then graduating.

Turner and Messler are both in the box linebackers. Skarecky, Petrie, Twigg fit the 4-2-5 mold nicely.

It will be interesting to see where the Rush position players translate Bishop, Antoniou, and Marinelli.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 12, 2019, 11:55:42 AMIU made a similar transition when Allen took over the head coaching position. I remember it effected one player TJ Simmons in particular. Bigger inside linebacker who really couldn't work sideline to sideline. I think he ended up redshirting and then graduating. Turner and Messler are both in the box linebackers. Skarecky, Petrie, Twigg fit the 4-2-5 mold nicely. It will be interesting to see where the Rush position players translate Bishop, Antoniou, and Marinelli.
Scarsella for the rover or whatever name they are going to call it (Crusader?)?

valpofb16

I was thinking more Booker in the crusader position with his ability to tackle

Something like this

Orlandini  Goebel   Olojo    Reed

Booker            Turner       Petrie

LeAndre            Sherman         Scarsella           Kelly/Hebda

According to his twitter Zach Carney first year grad from Mount Union (Played WR 1 Catch Last Season) has accepted a coaching role at Valparaiso

NWIGuy

I wouldn't mind seeing Petrie converted to a DE, especially as an edge rusher. Seemed pretty instinctive as a pass rusher  in the couple of games I got to see in 2018.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 12, 2019, 02:51:42 PMI was thinking more Booker in the crusader position with his ability to tackle Something like this Orlandini  Goebel   Olojo    Reed Booker            Turner       Petrie LeAndre            Sherman         Scarsella           Kelly/Hebda According to his twitter Zach Carney first year grad from Mount Union (Played WR 1 Catch Last Season) has accepted a coaching role at Valparaiso
That's likely one of the intern roles we saw advertised.

valpofb16

Dougherty has changed is title on twitter from DC to Assistant Coach, Moore still stands as DC proven otherwise

2019 Staff Tracker:

Fox-HC
Moore-DC
Greiner-Assistant-Defense
Dougherty-Assistant-Defense
Smith-Assistant Offense
Carney-Assistant-?

JD24

I'd imagine a staff would need to reasonably be in place for when the players return from break so they can be handed a playbook.

VULB#62

If Ernest is, indeed, being retained as the DC, he has a lot of unlearning as well as new learning ahead. Cramming is more like it. He'll have to be at least one day ahead of the players  ;D

But I think I can speak for all Crusaderdom, and 99 seasons of FB alums living and deceased, in that we are waiting with great anticipation for the OC announcement.  ::)

IndyValpo

So one of our new coaches says he is the DC and now just an assistant. Either he was wrong or Moore hadn't been told yet. Either way what an embarrassing beginning.

The Fox era is off to a disappointing start.

JD24

The special teams coordinator can go on the back burner until Valpo recruits the most important members of of those units....the kicker and punter.

IndyValpo

Quote from: JD24 on March 14, 2019, 11:16:33 PM
The special teams coordinator can go on the back burner until Valpo recruits the most important members of of those units....the kicker and punter.
At this point we need one staff member who does nothing but find at least one of each, plus one who can do both. Is it really that hard?

VULB#62

This late in the preseason it might be, Indy.  Usually the attrition after the departures/firings at the end of the season result in a lot of coaches being out on the street for a bit while new staffs get sorted out and assembled. We are way behind. The really good pickups are already hired and working. Hopefully Fox has developed a good network that would allow him to do some cherry picking.  Another option is to be able to offer salaries that are very attractive and steal a guy or three. I hope that between his contact network and a FB budget that can handle some salary bumps, the OC, at least, can be lured here damn soon. 

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 16, 2019, 08:24:03 AMThis late in the preseason it might be, Indy.  Usually the attrition after the departures/firings at the end of the season result in a lot of coaches being out on the street for a bit while new staffs get sorted out and assembled. We are way behind. The really good pickups are already hired and working. Hopefully Fox has developed a good network that would allow him to do some cherry picking.  Another option is to be able to offer salaries that are very attractive and steal a guy or three. I hope that between his contact network and a FB budget that can handle some salary bumps, the OC, at least, can be lured here damn soon.
The S&C position posting leaves me thinking that salary will not be an attraction unless that posting left out some things which were part of the package.