• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Coaches - 2023 Season

Started by valpofb16, January 24, 2023, 06:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Damien Ross is on board as the WR coach - previously at Missouri S&T

Jackson Smith has returned in some capacity to the program. A great sign, maybe offensive line as that is what's open

valpofb16

Andrew Prevost will be the OL Coach after most recently holding the same position at FCS South Dakota

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 21, 2023, 06:54:37 PMAndrew Prevost will be the OL Coach after most recently holding the same position at FCS South Dakota
I like this one.

valpofb16

New tight ends coach Nate Van Asperen, also coming from South Dakota.

Good to have a TE coach and OL coach having worked together

VULB#62

16,  please check your email from me.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 22, 2023, 08:07:00 PMNew tight ends coach Nate Van Asperen, also coming from South Dakota. Good to have a TE coach and OL coach having worked together
He was a QC at South Dakota but has coached OL and TEs previously. Pretty new to coaching.

On the other hand Prevost has been with South Dakota HC Nielsen for a long time - upwards of 15 years- in various roles including 5-6 years as the OL coach. SD didn't have a good year last year but a few OLmen have gone on to post season talent shows.

This could be a quality hire.

IndyValpo

With the exception of the OC a complete offensive coach turnover. Interestingly our current TE Coach still lists himself at Valpo. No one has been named RB coach. I assumed Johnson was a one year rental and would be back in the USFL.

VULB#62

Scraped this from the PFL Fan Forum. Football Scoop, dated today, says that Fox is looking for a new OC. You have to scroll down a bit to see it. The PFL poster wondered if this is valid. Heck, so am I.

https://footballscoop.com/thescoop/the-scoop-thursday-february-23-2023

valpofb16

Without having all the facts, from the outside looking in this makes little sense, will need to see where Will lands.

With OL/TE/WR all being filled while Will was on staff , it appears (if true) this was not the plan at all.

Valpo has a top of the line PFL defense returning and what appears to be a complete rebuild on offense coming.

OCs want their people in and this staff was built backwards now....

JD24

FWIW....not listed on the University openings.

I also agree that it makes little sense.

valpofb16

Confirmed Fleming is gone.

My first call would be to Cory Colder

VULB#62

Wondered how long he'd stay. Shoot, scholarship FCS URI, BC in the ACC, then ....... little ole Valpo?

TOTAL OFFENSIVE STAFF REBUILD  :(

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 24, 2023, 02:14:23 PM
Wondered how long he'd stay. Shoot, scholarship FCS URI, BC in the ACC, then ....... little ole Valpo?

TOTAL OFFENSIVE STAFF REBUILD  :(

You knew he was a rental but when his wife's sister transferred in to the basketball program I thought we might buy a few years

FBFan22

There are 4 coaches returning from last season:  Fox, Offit, RJ and Price

2nd year in a row where there is 100% turnover of the offensive staff.

Can't fault any of the coaches that have left for greener pastures and have improved their situation, but it's tough to build a program when you are replacing the majority of your staff every year.

VULB#62

Paul just released an article in TVB about the FB coaching turnover.

valpofb16

Vibes were off and it was clear after Butler meltdown. I still believe in Fox as he has founded 5 straight competent defenses (against relative and recently not so relative competition).

Think there was an obvious exodus from offensive players , and a revolving door of offensive coaches , a flush was necessary.

Most alarming news from article and today his right hand men Daugherty/Lutgens from Dayton have left. If it's not for greener pastures then alarm sirens need to be set off

historyman

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 24, 2023, 09:48:31 PM
Vibes were off and it was clear after Butler meltdown. I still believe in Fox as he has founded 5 straight competent defenses (against relative and recently not so relative competition).

Think there was an obvious exodus from offensive players , and a revolving door of offensive coaches , a flush was necessary.

Most alarming news from article and today his right hand men Daugherty/Lutgens from Dayton have left. If it's not for greener pastures then alarm sirens need to be set off

Now let's figure out what is happening. Valpo is under extremely difficult financial restraints. Football coaches are leaving. It's not hard to figure out.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpofb16

If it's dropping football you are hinting at. Valpo would be beyond dumb to do that, football currently is counting for about 8-10% of the freshman class. Almost 20% of the male incoming class.

If it's pay cuts to make up for the crappy basketball team. Also a mistake, football had better attendance, is less of an investment for the University, brings a larger alumni base, has 3x the following on social media, and brings in tuition.

Wabash has shown the model how to be extremely successful (alumni, school, sports) in small town Indiana. Saint Joe / Evansville have shown how to fail.

You can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink it. I just don't understand the lack of business thought processes chasing ghosts.

soapyjeans

Dangnabbit, I was all excited about the new recruits and now I'm wondering why Valpo seems to underestimate its football programs value.  I'm glad Fox and RJ are ok at least. 

vu72

It's the money pure and simply. Coach Fox has said that some of the coaches are making like 30k.  Obviously it isn't hard to "find greener pastures" at the level.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Beacboy11

Big news on Daugherty and Lutgens who have been with Fox for a while. Would guess Ghilarducci stays on to be Defensive Coordinator with Fox? At least the defense and recruiting should stay the same between those 2

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on February 25, 2023, 12:42:08 PM
It's the money pure and simply. Coach Fox has said that some of the coaches are making like 30k.  Obviously it isn't hard to "find greener pastures" at the level.

For some perspective, the STARTING 2022-23 salary for a new Valparaiso HS teacher coming out of college with zero experience is $51,000. 

https://www.lakeshorepublicradio.org/2022-10-17/valpo-teachers-to-get-raises-under-proposed-contract

Just sayin.....

historyman

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 25, 2023, 08:16:45 AM
If it's dropping football you are hinting at. Valpo would be beyond dumb to do that, football currently is counting for about 8-10% of the freshman class. Almost 20% of the male incoming class.

If it's pay cuts to make up for the crappy basketball team. Also a mistake, football had better attendance, is less of an investment for the University, brings a larger alumni base, has 3x the following on social media, and brings in tuition.

Wabash has shown the model how to be extremely successful (alumni, school, sports) in small town Indiana. Saint Joe / Evansville have shown how to fail.

You can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink it. I just don't understand the lack of business thought processes chasing ghosts.

No need to drop football. The tuition loss would be devastating. But it seems logical that low salaries is the main reason coaches are leaving. Not much Valpo can do about it till enrollment is increased.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUSupport

historyman

Quote from: VUSupport on February 25, 2023, 08:22:42 PMWhere did [size=1
pt]Daugherty go?[/size]

LaVonte Dority (born October 28, 1991) is an American professional basketball player who last played for T71 Dudelange of the Total League.

In July 2019, Dority signed with T71 Dudelange of the Luxembourgian Total League.

Career historyKirch2014–2015heim Knights[/url][/t]
[/size]Fr2016–2017ancavilla Fontana[/[/font][/color]t]
[/size]Den Helder Suns[/t]
[/size]Dutch Windmills[/t]
[/size]2019–2020
[/size]T71 Dudelange[/t]