• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

PFL Coaching Carousel

Started by valpofb16, November 26, 2023, 07:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Coach Rob Tenyer is out at Morehead State. 20 year employee 39% win percentage.

47-73.

VULB#62

Interesting that Stepsis at Drake was the subject of a preseason poll on the PFL Fan Forum on what it would take for him to keep his job. So what does Drake do? They win the whole freakin thing and get the AQ!

Of course, the Bulldogs came back to earth yesterday in the first round of the FCS Playoffs with a 66-3 loss to NDSU in Fargo.

Ya know, with the exception of USD's two first round wins out west in the FCS playoffs, the PFL has been pummeled pretty much every year in the first round game. Time to reevaluate perhaps entering into a single post-season bowl game - the "FCS Non-Scholarship Bowl" against the Ivy Champ?

usc4valpo

Let's be real about the Pioneer Conference - it is D1 football in name only and more inline with D3. I know NDSU is a D1AA powerhouse, but Drake's performance is embarrassing for the Pioneer, and this is a down heat for the Bison.

David81

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 26, 2023, 08:42:29 AM
Interesting that Stepsis at Drake was the subject of a preseason poll on the PFL Fan Forum on what it would take for him to keep his job. So what does Drake do? They win the whole freakin thing and get the AQ!

Of course, the Bulldogs came back to earth yesterday in the first round of the FCS Playoffs with a 66-3 loss to NDSU in Fargo.

Ya know, with the exception of USD's two first round wins out west in the FCS playoffs, the PFL has been pummeled pretty much every year in the first round game. Time to reevaluate perhaps entering into a single post-season bowl game - the "FCS Non-Scholarship Bowl" against the Ivy Champ?

Yes, the non-scholarship schools should create a separate game or playoff series, with a distinctive name. Call the final game the "United Cup" or something like that, and maybe pair it with a mini-combine of the best non-scholarship players to meet up with team and pool scouts from the various pro leagues.

VULB#62

Part of the reason the Ivy League has opted out of the FCS playoff is that member schools have agreed that they do not want 100+ football players staying in season throughout  the playoffs (assuming an Ivy team would make it deep into the playoffs 🙄  ::)).  That's why I suggested just one game. Incidentally (or hypocritically), the Ivies don't have a problem with other NCAA tournaments (like March Madness that stretches for weeks) because the rosters of those sports are a fraction of a football roster is my guess. .

So...... If that can't be arranged, perhaps the PFL needs to expand to 12-14 or even 16 teams (6-7 division games and 1-2 cross-over games to fill out a PFL 8 game schedule), organize into two geographic divisions, and have a league championship title game. That way the players have something to shoot for that is settled on the field, not just in the standings. The PFL used to do that. The SWAC still does that and has elected not to participate in the FCS playoffs.

usc4valpo

62 - agreed. I game like the Drake NDSU yesterday hs no value or purpose.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 26, 2023, 12:26:41 PM
Part of the reason the Ivy League has opted out of the FCS playoff is that member schools have agreed that they do not want 100+ football players staying in season throughout  the playoffs (assuming an Ivy team would make it deep into the playoffs 🙄  ::)).  That's why I suggested just one game. Incidentally (or hypocritically), the Ivies don't have a problem with other NCAA tournaments (like March Madness that stretches for weeks) because the rosters of those sports are a fraction of a football roster is my guess. .

So...... If that can't be arranged, perhaps the PFL needs to expand to 12-14 or even 16 teams (6-7 division games and 1-2 cross-over game to fill out a PFL 8 game schedule), organize into two geographic divisions, and have a league championship title game. That way the players have something to shoot for that is settled on the field, not just in the standings. The PFL used to do that. The SWAC still does that and has elected not to participate in the FCS playoffs.
It seems to me there are a number of schools giving FCS scholarships that make sense (to me) to become Pioneer schools, basically the entire Northeast Conference, Robert Morris and Lindenwood from the OVC/BSouth.

VULB#62

USC, you are thinking along the same lines as I was with the NEC. An issue, as it always is, is San Diego out there by its lonesome. Be great to get a couple of mountain/coastal schools to go non- scholly.  The footprint would be more geographically balanced.  And what a footprint that would be -  second only to the B1G  :rotfl:

Problem isthat, to the best of my limited knowledge, there are not too many DI FCS schools out there that would even entertain non-scholly cuz there is no financial motivation to do so. Actually, I still wonder why USD is still in the PFL.

valpotx

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 27, 2023, 09:09:34 PM
USC, you are thinking along the same lines as I was with the NEC. An issue, as it always is, is San Diego out there by its lonesome. Be great to get a couple of mountain/coastal schools to go non- scholly.  The footprint would be more geographically balanced.  And what a footprint that would be -  second only to the B1G  :rotfl:

Problem isthat, to the best of my limited knowledge, there are not too many DI FCS schools out there that would even entertain non-scholly cuz there is no financial motivation to do so. Actually, I still wonder why USD is still in the PFL.

Maybe USD saw what happened to Jacksonville, after they started?  Weren't they on track to offer scholarships, before Football completely fell apart?  You then have other success stories like Mercer and Austin Peay, which have made FCS playoff appearances.  Campbell is there too, but no playoffs.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

USD May have football in a similar fashion as Valpo - to bring in male students willing to pay for play. The difference is there the football talent level in Southern California area has been generally better and there's a large sample to recruit.

I doubt the Ivy and Puoneer leagues would ever have a post season championship - I like the idea, but the Ivy League is too snooty to participate in an event like that.

valpo95

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 26, 2023, 10:28:20 AM
Let's be real about the Pioneer Conference - it is D1 football in name only and more inline with D3. I know NDSU is a D1AA powerhouse, but Drake's performance is embarrassing for the Pioneer, and this is a down heat for the Bison.

I would not call it an embarrassment. Talent-wise, there is a bigger difference between Drake and NDSU than between NDSU and Georgia. The difference comes down to scholarships and resources, and the PFL is competing at the non-scholarship level.

usc4valpo

95 - I get the non scholarship handicap in the FCS playoffs, but having a 66-3 thrashing in a playoff has no value. Perhaps they should not compete in the FCS playoffs if we consistently see results like this. Is there real joy or benefit making a trip to Fargo to get trashed, knowing that one school is closer to D3 than FCS?

IndyValpo

I am surprised that Grand Canyon hasn't added a Pioneer football team, plus I live in the area!

valpofb16

Appears Quality Control coach Cam Burnette has been appointed to Tight Ends coach, Meaning Van Asperen is gone.