• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What’s in store heading into 2024?

Started by VULB#62, November 27, 2023, 08:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

I finally got to listen pretty intently to the end-of-season All Access interview with Coach Fox after the St. Thomas game.  Two things, generally, kinda stuck with me.

1) What he said.  Fox acknowledged that Valpo lost some games they could have won if  they had been able to put more points on the board. He said we have to get better at that.  How? Different system? Shift in coaching responsibilities? Reprioritizing recruiting?  He gave no real specifics, so, therefore, the title of this post. But at the same time it pointed to things we've discussed on this board throughout the past season and that is a good thing.

2). What he didn't say.  Brandon asked what was on the schedule for him and his staff now that the season was complete, and Coach said pretty much that they gotta focus on recruiting. Missing from that response (understandably) was any mention of or illusion to his personal plans regarding the future of the VU FB program. Yet, isn't that the elephant in the room?  We'll see I guess.

David81

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 27, 2023, 08:53:02 AM
I finally got to listen pretty intently to the end-of-season All Access interview with Coach Fox after the St. Thomas game.  Two things, generally, kinda stuck with me.

1) What he said.  Fox acknowledged that Valpo lost some games they could have won if  they had been able to put more points on the board. He said we have to get better at that.  How? Different system? Shift in coaching responsibilities? Reprioritizing recruiting?  He gave no real specifics, so, therefore, the title of this post. But at the same time it pointed to things we've discussed on this board throughout the past season and that is a good thing.

2). What he didn't say.  Brandon asked what was on the schedule for him and his staff now that the season was complete, and Coach said pretty much that they gotta focus on recruiting. Missing from that response (understandably) was any mention of or illusion to his personal plans regarding the future of the VU FB program. Yet, isn't that the elephant in the room?  We'll see I guess.

I think what really matters is the substance of Coach Fox's next big conversation with Charles Small. He's got to have a wish list, and he's not going to broadcast that.

Six of VU's losses were by a combined 33 points. Concededly, their three wins were pretty close as well. But all in all, this team was competitive. Coach Fox has assembled a very respectable roster.

I know this season was frustrating and sometimes downright disappointing. It appears, however, that VU is not too far away from entering the top half of the PFL.

valpofb16

Departures: All confirmed

Portal:
WR Solomon Davis

Graduating:
WR Moise Tezzo
WR Johnny Foley
RB Jashon Butler
LB Evan Annis

Offense looks different already, Davis and Butler were arguably two of the three most important players to touch the ball all season.

valpotx

Makes sense for Solomon, as I assume that he graduated, and wants to try his success at a scholarship program for a GT year.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

Agreed. Without Butler kick returns or Davis deep balls it gets bleak.

If Eberhart, Szczepanski, Woody, and Vickers all come back. The making is there for Mann to have a big year.

valpofb16

13 - Brandon Barthel - WR has entered portal

IndyValpo

VULB#62

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 01, 2023, 01:19:49 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on November 29, 2023, 01:14:07 PM
13 - Brandon Barthel - WR has entered portal
Did Barthel ever play?

Zero receptions and zero (special teams(?) tackles. Probably didn't see much action.

valpofb16

OT Brett Gray and DT Logan Chastain have entered portal.

Chastain probably will play up and is a massive loss.

In the days of NIL and scholarships. Us offering neither probably means we are a glorified Juco for some kids.

covufan

More of the same from 40 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpofb16

DE Amar Elmore has entered the portal. That's 2 out of last years 8 rotation linemen

For what it's worth, home states of first four underclassmen in the portal:

California, Oregon, Arizona, Washington

Can Valpo get likewise talent in the Midwest with NAIA powerhouses ( Marian , St Francis, IWU) and Conf foes (Butler, Drake, Morehead ) all heavily recruiting the area?

valpofb16

Add promising LB Wade Abrams to the mix.

Was really afraid of the up and comers on the defensive side leaving. If we fall off on defense too will be a long long year.

valpofb16

Some good news

OC Tyler Eberhart
OL Carter Woody
OL Sam Hafner

Are all staying for 5th years

NotBryceDrew

Portal additions:
Mohamed Kamara
Keith Szczepanski

valpofb16

Promising OL Mason Smith is no longer with the team

valpofb16

RB Coach Trevor McConnell is headed to Coe College. Meaning we will be heading into our 5th RB Coach in the Symmes era (still under 1 year of real time)

NWIGuy

RB Coach has seen the most turnover of any position coach over the last decade. My son was in the RB room for 5 years and worked with 3 different coaches in that span. Has been spelled out on this board over and over, but if you can't pay them, coaches will move on to a program who will.

VULB#62

If there is a football budget line that needs major beefing up it is assistant coach salaries. Facilities are fine for now.   There's a decent, dedicated weight room. Buy games have helped considerably to defray operating expenses.  But if Landon can't stabilize his staff because it is out of his control, it's a problem that will haunt year after year and, unfortunately, ensure mediocrity.

valpofb16

Football Assistant pay won't go up while we're paying Lottich several hundred thousand to sit at home.

NWIGuy

Quote from: valpofb16 on January 22, 2024, 06:28:39 PMFootball Assistant pay won't go up while we're paying Lottich several hundred thousand to sit at home.
Is this still an issue now that Lottich is on the Mizzou MBB staff?

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on January 22, 2024, 06:28:39 PM
Football Assistant pay won't go up while we're paying Lottich several hundred thousand to sit at home.

Lottich is now an assistant at Missouri, and if his VU contract did not specify that the buy out would be reduced by the compensation in his next job, that would be criminal negligence.

historyman

Matt Lottich - Special Assistant to the Head Coach - Men's Basketball Support Staff - University of Missouri Athletics (mutigers.com)

Contract details released for Mizzou men's basketball assistant coach Kyle Smithpeters - ABC17NEWS

In 2022 these were the Univ of Missouri MBB asst coaches salaries

In head coach Dennis Gates' contract, $915,000 was included for his three assistant coaches.
With the hire of Smithpeters, that money has been divided between associate head coach Charlton Young who will make $600,000 yearly on a three-year contract and assistant coach Dicky Nutt who signed a one-year deal for $165,000.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

JD24

Probably semantics as I assume that the other 6-7 assistant coaches and support staff (of which Lottich is included) are not all working for free. My guess is that the Whitten family pays for the HC and 3 assistants while the school pays for the remainder of the staff.

I agree that it is hard to believe that there would not be offset language in whatever buyout Lottich and Valpo agreed to. Paying assistants has also been an issue long prior to the Lottich issue so that may not be the main reason the FB and other staffs would be neglected in this regard.

valpofb16

Jack Jarnigan is returning as Valpos Tight End Coach ( 44GP @ Valpo , OL )