• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2024 Football Schedule

Started by valpofb16, January 24, 2024, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Valpo has added Northern Iowa as its opener 08/31 then travels to Youngstown State on 09/07. Gulp. 3/4 Non conference games are Saint Francis NY (D1) and home vs IWU.

That may be the hardest non conference schedule I've seen Valpo play

VULB#62

16,  it's obvious by the scheduling that we're in the process of loading up on FBS xfers and we have corralled some very experienced assistant coaches to take the '24 team to new competitive heights. 🤣

OR.......

We are loading up on body bag games to salt away enough funds to, hopefully, be a little more competitive in the future.

SPOILER ALERT: People, we have freakin scheduled 1/6th of the entire MVFC just for smiles and giggles.  :o

And BTW, I believe the St. Francis you listed is in the NEC and is in Lorretto, PA.  There was a St. Francis, Brooklyn, but they didn't play FB and left the NEC in 2022. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 24, 2024, 05:30:02 PM
16,  it's obvious by the scheduling that we're in the process of loading up on FBS xfers and we have corralled some very experienced assistant coaches to take the '24 team to new competitive heights. 🤣
You are correct about St Francis the NY one never played football and l believe dropped all sports a couple of years ago.
OR.......

We are loading up on body bag games to salt away enough funds to, hopefully, be a little more competitive in the future.

SPOILER ALERT: People, we have freakin scheduled 1/6th of the entire MVFC just for smiles and giggles.  :o

And BTW, I believe the St. Francis you listed is in the NEC and is in Lorretto, PA.  There was a St. Francis, Brooklyn, but they didn't play FB and left the NEC in 2022. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

valpofb16

I'm all for playing the best of the best. But four scholarship opponents out of conference seems a bit ambitious...

JD24

St. Francis of Brooklyn does not play football but they don't currently play anything. They dropped all sports last year.

In addition to the NEC version, there are St. Francis's in Indiana and Illinois. I think they are lower division schools.

valpofb16

It's the Saint Francis Red Flash out of PA. 62 was right. NEC.

That either means 12 games (which has happened 4-5 times last 10 years ) or Saint Francis / IWU could get dropped. We are on Website for Northern Iowa and Youngstown , those are happening.

Anyone else not like the double MVC booking? We almost certainly start out 0-2 and our first home game isn't until mid-late September.

VULB#62

One bodybag/buy game is OK for the experience and the cash flow.  Two (especially both in the MvFC) is really tough on the record, the players and the psyche. But it is one more paycheck, I guess. We did this in 2022 with ISUr and then added New Mexico State as a bonus at the end, but that was not two FCS schollies in a row. Then you add in both IWU and a NEC school (schollies as well, but no cash for these) — is any other PFL program as masochistic as this?

But we have  :deadhorse: this a few times before, and it is what it is. If Valpo wants football, it's do what ya gotta do.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 25, 2024, 09:56:14 AM
One bodybag/buy game is OK for the experience and the cash flow.  Two (especially both in the MvFC) is really tough on the record, the players and the psyche. But it is one more paycheck, I guess. We did this in 2022 with ISUr and then added New Mexico State as a bonus at the end, but that was not two FCS schollies in a row. Then you add in both IWU and a NEC school (schollies as well, but no cash for these) — is any other PFL program as masochistic as this?

But we have  :deadhorse: this a few times before, and it is what it is. If Valpo wants football, it's do what ya gotta do.
Just speculation here, but maybe our current administration is considering a move to MVFC and buy games with ND or Purdue in our future??$!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

Part of preventing transfers to scholarship FCS and FBS programs, is showing that you are willing to schedule such programs.  You may still lose some players to those schools, but it is immensely helpful to an athlete's psyche of playing the best at their level.  In baseball, we always schedule some tough opposition, including back in my playing days.  At that time, during my first baseball season, we played at Notre Dame, who was number 1 in the nation, led by an undefeated Aaron Heilman.  As part of the agreement for them to play us, Coach Twenge told us that we had to pitch our Freshmen.  Everyone was excited to just be playing against them, but when we ended up beating them, that type of stuff lives forever :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

Valpotx while I appreciate the sentiment and that is an awesome memory. Football is not baseball and we are not matching scholarship numbers here.

The PFL is 1-whatever against the MVC (one win being Butler over Youngstown). Football is a violent sport and we tend to lose guys during these games (See Eberhart which cost us 2-3 more wins).

This is 65 full ride athletes vs a non scholarship opponent in back to back weeks. Outside of the pay day and the experience of playing at these facilities not sure a real benefit for two in one year.

The one year we were competitive against an MVC school (Illinois State) they poached the starting QB and leading receiver from that game

vu84v2

I never played football and have never discussed this with any football players, but how would the current football players view this question? Would they prefer playing more higher tier opponents or playing non-D1 opponents outside of conference? This should be considered in such decisions.

usc4valpo

the good news is that I can attend the UNI game and party in Waterloo!

VULB#62

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 26, 2024, 11:14:06 AM
I never played football and have never discussed this with any football players, but how would the current football players view this question? Would they prefer playing more higher tier opponents or playing non-D1 opponents outside of conference? This should be considered in such decisions.

Having played and coached at the college level, I can provide a generalized opinion.

1 - Players always want to be challenged by whom they play.
2 - Players want to see how they fare against the next highest level of talent. 
3 - Players want to win

So it is never a black or white answer to your "either/or" question. Our kids relish being challenged in conference or out of conference, and they love seeing how they measure up against FCS scholarship programs, despite knowing that the odds are stacked against them. Occasionally, however, there are glimpses of what might've been (like at Montana or against Illinois State).

But they also need a "win fix."  Always playing over one's head and never winning wears you down, saps energy and plays with your mind. But easy wins without the challenge also is not rewarding.

The answer, 84,  is a proper balance between your two options. 

And generally, Coach Fox has followed that script —> One FCS scholarship "buy" game + one Ivy or lower tier FCS or NCAA DII game + one NAIA or NCAA DIII game (although some NAIA programs give NCAA DII a run for their money).

But this season the NCAA has allowed FCS schools to schedule a 12th game. We could have added a non-scholarship DIII, but Coach Fox instead chose to go in the opposite direction and scheduled Northern Iowa.  And that in a nutshell is the reason for this particular discussion.  Had we scheduled a DIII, IMO, it wouldn't have been an issue.

vu84v2

62 - thank you for the thoughtful response.

valpotx

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 26, 2024, 03:56:51 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on January 26, 2024, 11:14:06 AM

Having played and coached at the college level, I can provide a generalized opinion.

1 - Players always want to be challenged by whom they play.
2 - Players want to see how they fare against the next highest level of talent. 
3 - Players want to win

So it is never a black or white answer to your "either/or" question. Our kids relish being challenged in conference or out of conference, and they love seeing how they measure up against FCS scholarship programs, despite knowing that the odds are stacked against them. Occasionally, however, there are glimpses of what might've been (like at Montana or against Illinois State).

But they also need a "win fix."  Always playing over one's head and never winning wears you down, saps energy and plays with your mind. But easy wins without the challenge also is not rewarding.

The answer, 84,  is a proper balance between your two options. 

And generally, Coach Fox has followed that script —> One FCS scholarship "buy" game + one Ivy or lower tier FCS or NCAA DII game + one NAIA or NCAA DIII game (although some NAIA programs give NCAA DII a run for their money).

But this season the NCAA has allowed FCS schools to schedule a 12th game. We could have added a non-scholarship DIII, but Coach Fox instead chose to go in the opposite direction and scheduled Northern Iowa.  And that in a nutshell is the reason for this particular discussion.  Had we scheduled a DIII, IMO, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Agreed on my side, though I understand what valpofb16 is saying.  I do think that if you asked the current athletes themselves, as well as those on campus during my time 20 years ago, that they would want to play such programs at the FCS level.  The FBS level, probably not, due to the large size differences, though I understand that some of that exists with top FCS programs, as well
"Don't mess with Texas"

soapyjeans

I subscribe to the theory, any team can win on any given day.  It explains why there are upsets, underdogs beating the spreads. 

valpofb16

I agree that most players and myself included viewed these games as opportunities when I was 18-22.

Now that I'm older I understand these are games for funding. And what really irks me is the funding isn't directly attributed to the football program. It's spread around.

(Just do the math 110 tuitions, plus about 1 million in pay games. There wouldn't be alumni driven programs for new helmets/uniforms)

So when a 12th game was allowed Valpo could have scheduled an NAIA/D3 to get the guys to a 2-2 record heading into conference. But instead you start out with 2 MVC teams, then a scholarship NEC team, then the #5 NAIA program.

Valpo2015

But you were ok when basketball was winning and bringing in money to help support football?

Would it be nice if it had more funding? Sure-but when I came back during HC I noticed several upgrades to the football building so I m assuming that they are getting their fair share of the pot

valpofb16

When basketball was winning c. 2011-2014, our locker rooms and weight room were from the early 2000s. Jerseys 4-5 years old. And Brown Field was still Brown Field.

Our pay games were road trips to Western Illinois and Eastern Kentucky. Our flight game was a charter paid for by North Dakota.

With all due respect. Sit this one out.

Upgrades to Kroencke were a multi purpose weight room covering multiple sports. A paint job. And new jerseys once every 4-5 years still. Locker room is now 9 years old.

I think the 110 tuitions and two multiple hundred thousand pay games per season for the past decade can cover the above

usc4valpo

Valpofb16 - as I have said previously,  a main reason Valpo has football is to bring in male students and rake in revenue.

Also, since Valpo is non scholarship and is run more like D3 than D1, facing FBS schools annually makes no sense.

valpofb16

Other than a profit center for the Athletics Dept.

Valpo2015

If you decide to play football at Valpo you know what your getting yourself into.
I live just outside Indy and can tell you all the high schools are better equipped than VU
With that said I also think some of these high school teams would have beaten several of the squads VU put on the field

Valpo2015

Quote from: valpofb16 on January 27, 2024, 09:59:26 AM
Other than a profit center for the Athletics Dept.

I am not sure the Athletic Dept profits from tuition? I think its separate-as is most Universities

valpofb16

Valpo2015 again not a chance. Agree on the facilities. Coached 6A football in Indy for two years.

6A schools probably have 10-12 guys that could make Valpos team.

Valpo has 110 guys that could play at Valpo.

we got Ben Davis leading receiver from 2020 with 1600 yards in the MIC. Never played a snap here

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 26, 2024, 03:56:51 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on January 26, 2024, 11:14:06 AMI never played football and have never discussed this with any football players, but how would the current football players view this question? Would they prefer playing more higher tier opponents or playing non-D1 opponents outside of conference? This should be considered in such decisions.
Having played and coached at the college level, I can provide a generalized opinion. 1 - Players always want to be challenged by whom they play. 2 - Players want to see how they fare against the next highest level of talent. 3 - Players want to win So it is never a black or white answer to your "either/or" question. Our kids relish being challenged in conference or out of conference, and they love seeing how they measure up against FCS scholarship programs, despite knowing that the odds are stacked against them. Occasionally, however, there are glimpses of what might've been (like at Montana or against Illinois State). But they also need a "win fix."  Always playing over one's head and never winning wears you down, saps energy and plays with your mind. But easy wins without the challenge also is not rewarding. The answer, 84,  is a proper balance between your two options. And generally, Coach Fox has followed that script —> One FCS scholarship "buy" game + one Ivy or lower tier FCS or NCAA DII game + one NAIA or NCAA DIII game (although some NAIA programs give NCAA DII a run for their money). But this season the NCAA has allowed FCS schools to schedule a 12th game. We could have added a non-scholarship DIII, but Coach Fox instead chose to go in the opposite direction and scheduled Northern Iowa.  And that in a nutshell is the reason for this particular discussion.  Had we scheduled a DIII, IMO, it wouldn't have been an issue.
I'm in agreement with much of what Bud says here. Players want to play quality opponents to some degree but the also want an opportunity to win. Players do not want to have their brains beat in and it's possible if not probable that back to back efforts in which Valpo is getting pummeled and likely losing a player or two who would have helped win vs. the competition within the PFL could ruin the focus of the team.

There needs to be a balance.