• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The 50 Ugliest College Campuses

Started by covufan, July 17, 2019, 06:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Glaring chapel that is somewhat of an eyesore???

usc4valpo

valpotx

Agreed, moronic article.  The campus feel has definitely improved since I was on campus.  The pictures that I have seen in the last few years, indicate a really beautiful campus.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpotx on July 18, 2019, 03:21:26 AM
Agreed, moronic article.  The campus feel has definitely improved since I was on campus.  The pictures that I have seen in the last few years, indicate a really beautiful campus.

I'm hoping Valpo's PR department is planning on adding a bunch of filler stories to push down the recency of this story.  They need to make it so on cursory searches that this one gets buried on page 11.  Sad that we even register on their radar because we are a relatively small school.

vu84v2

What a piece of garbage. Perhaps someone should write an article titled, "50 Most Useless Articles about American Universities". So many important topics to consider about mission, outcomes and financial sustainability, and she publishes this tripe.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 17, 2019, 08:31:41 PM
Glaring chapel that is somewhat of an eyesore???

It has to be some sort of joke.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo95

This is just a dumb, clickbait article. Best to ignore it entirely.

bbtds

I think this writer has something in his background about large chapels on college campuses which are a center point. He absolutely must have an architectural bias against them.

loschwitz

It doesn't take much to concoct one of those worst/best lists.   Look at some websites.  Don't bother to actually visit the place.  Just slap something together.  Forget about anything like objective criteria.

Actually Valparaiso finds itself  included with a lot of other highly regarded schools.

David81

Wow, that is one weird collection of cheap shots. Not just for Valpo, but also many of the other schools listed.

I've been impressed by the buildings added since my VU days ('77-'81). Heh, too bad they didn't do this piece when the tundra dominated the new campus. LOL.

The reference to the attempted KKK purchase in the 20s is totally gratuitous. Historically true, during a time right before the Lutherans showed up, but gratuitous nonetheless.

At least VU is in the company of many other fine schools on that list!

usc4valpo

Overall, a dumb article. MIT is not a beautiful campus with weird architecture - but I doubt it effects its academic credibility.

wh

It's always fun to drive through campus at the beginning of a new school year. Excitement is in the air as students arrive with their families in tow, unloading, scurrying around, talking and laughing, everyone in good spirits.

Contrary to the author's disparaging opinion, Valparaiso University has a beautiful campus setting that features new, architecturally unique, ascetically pleasing buildings blended beautifully with older facilities. The entire campus is cohesive and complementary. The chapel is anything but an eyesore, but rather a stunning focal point, especially with its addition designed to style and color coordinate with surrounding buildings. The grounds are manicured. Flower and shrubbery accents are everywhere. Trees planted around the newer facilities continue to grow and add to the overall appearance.

This is the real story about Valparaiso University's campus, not that anyone on this board needs convincing.

valporun

I'm late to this party, but it sounds like this author couldn't get an architecture job anywhere, so their attacking their chosen field of study/career, and picking on stupid things that colleges looked at the financial outcome of building, not entirely the overall appeal. What do they want every college/university campus to be, Club Med?