• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Record Watch

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, November 24, 2012, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

My thinking too...and he has been passed thrice since graduating, meaning when he left he was 1 in bloc and 7 in steals? 

impresivo.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu84v2

Anyone care to have a guess at the other players with a minimum of four points in their first game at Valpo, to have their points in their first game be their ultimate career high?  The other two were Lubos Barton and Nathan Stegelmann.  It is not Falu or Coleman, though both were very close to meeting this odd achievement.

vusupporter

The two-game sensation, Griffyn Carpenter?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vusupporter on February 10, 2015, 12:43:30 PMThe two-game sensation, Griffyn Carpenter?
a one-game sensation, actually (unless you count the 1 minute against Duquesne)...but he fits the criteria, having logged 5 pts in that one game.

how 'bout it, 84?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vusupporter

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 10, 2015, 07:41:05 PM
Quote from: vusupporter on February 10, 2015, 12:43:30 PMThe two-game sensation, Griffyn Carpenter?
a one-game sensation, actually (unless you count the 1 minute against Duquesne)...but he fits the criteria, having logged 5 pts in that one game.

how 'bout it, 84?

10 seconds, which completely wrecked his career PPG.

vu84v2

Griffyn Carpenter was the third.  He and Stegelmann both played their first games against IU-Kokoma, a program playing its first year at any level.

chef

I'm pretty sure Lubos actually surpassed his career high in the Mid-Con Tournament in his Sr. year. Although the 27 he scored in his debut at the Hoosier Dome did stand for nearly his entire career.

LaPorteAveApostle

vu84v2

Wow!  I am embarrassed.  Thank you for the correction Chef.

chef

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on February 09, 2015, 04:22:09 PM
OK, Try this one.  How many times has Valpo won more then 22 games in a season?
I think we can return to these now...

The second one is easy--Rowdy's senior year set the record with 26.  But more than 22?  Hmm...I would have to say ...just guessing years: 6?

chef

Has to be more. This is the 4th time in five years for Valpo winning at least 22 (I think). Seems like a lot of 23 and 24 win seasons in the late 90's early 2000's, but I may be off and I'm too tired to look it up.

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, I'm sure you're right; I didn't think they played enough games a year back in the day to be over 22, so I was just counting the last 20 years, but sometimes they did!

I looked it up, but I won't divulge...ok now someone guess because now it's killing me

I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DON'T KNOW

Kyle321n

If we're saying D1 era only I would guess 8 seasons of 22+. If I remember correctly there was a stat Rowdy's senior year that it was the 10th 20+ win season in D1 history, but I might be misremembering.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

I counted 8 total--only 1 pre-D1.

So you win!

agibson

If we keep winning basketball games, I'm not going to complain.

But, at some point, Alec's either going to have to have a couple of big games, or we're going to need to win a game in a post-season tourney, if he's going to break 1000.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 13, 2015, 10:25:08 PM
I counted 8 total--only 1 pre-D1.

So you win!

Well done thou faithful servant!  Now, how many seasons with 23?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, I guess it's 9 though, now, right? ;)

talksalot

Not a quiz... but on topic with a record WATCH....

Since the ARC opened in 1984...

Best Home Record:   14-0 in 1994-95
then by %:
2000-01  12-1
2002-03  12-1
2014-15  12-1 with more to play.

2007-08  13 wins (-4)
2010-11  13 wins (-4)
2011-12  14 wins (-3)
and the record is 16 wins (-2) in 2012-13.

Best we can do this year is 15 wins.

talksalot

I probably should add:   10 WINS IN A ROW IN THE ARC

LaPorteAveApostle

talksalot

LAA - it took 2 years and 3 months to get your post on this string.  I've been waiting for it!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on February 09, 2015, 04:22:09 PMIn the modern era (Homer Drew on) how many players have started every game in their freshman year?
We have to do this question...I would say Tracy Gipson, but I think he actually didn't start 2 games his freshman year and then started every game thereafter.

I will say:
Drew
Stovall
Barton
Grafs
and Oppland?

Gimme a haän here, paä.

LaPorteAveApostle

Most points, first two seasons
1) Bryce, 912
2) Alec, 909

3FG%, season
4) jr Casey Schmidt 47.7%
5) Alec, 46.6%
6) soph Scott Anselm, 46.1%

3FG%, career
t6.  Alec, 42.3%
t6.  Rob Cavanaugh, 42.3%

(I'm sure they're not literally tied, but I can't find any of Rob's stats to break it down further.)

As an aside, Alec has 125 3s in his first 60 games.  Needs just 25 to make T10, career.

No trivia since there's still a live question on the floor.

Kyle321n

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 15, 2015, 08:25:51 PM
Quote from: vu72 on February 09, 2015, 04:22:09 PMIn the modern era (Homer Drew on) how many players have started every game in their freshman year?
We have to do this question...I would say Tracy Gipson, but I think he actually didn't start 2 games his freshman year and then started every game thereafter.

I will say:
Drew
Stovall
Barton
Grafs
and Oppland?

Gimme a haän here, paä.
Alec obviously unless I'm misremembering senior night's starters last season.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer