• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Chapel renovations and addition

Started by okinawatyphoon, May 04, 2011, 04:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on June 22, 2015, 07:59:33 PMAny other opinions out there?

This might be an unpopular opinion, but my wife and I were at the chapel yesterday, and we discussed the appearance. Though we appreciate the practical valuable inside space provided, both of us felt there was a problem with the addition's contrast against the original structure. My wife remarked that the new space looked like a wing of an airport terminal. I had high hopes as the construction was happening; however, there is a good reason that historical districts do not permit additions to old structures unless the lines, design, and style are consistent. As an artist, I believe the aesthetics of the chapel addition are not coherent, and it seems like a contemporary growth that is inconsistent, detracting from classic grandeur of the original building. I'll give it some time, and maybe I will reconsider. Perhaps my opinion of this growth will grow as well.

78crusader

While I can't match the eloquence and artistic knowledge of valpopal, my question is: why didn't they build the addition out of BRICK?

Paul

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: 78crusader on June 22, 2015, 09:53:57 PM
While I can't match the eloquence and artistic knowledge of valpopal, my question is: why didn't they build the addition out of BRICK?

Paul

That is a good question. You can see that they integrated stone similar to that of the main chapel, but it is curious as to why no red brick was incorporated. In this photo, you can see the attempts to match the stone (which look quite similar). I also see some of the green of both structures playing off each other. But maybe the roundness of the addition provides too much of a contrast to the original.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vu72

My guess is to totally remove the addition from the original design.  By this I mean that the use of black does not in any way detract from the focus on the original.  Obviously, the original is very contemporary in design, the addition is simply, by color and otherwise, meant to not in anyway detract from the original.  Just a guess...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

I think it looks pretty good [emoji10]

covufan

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on June 06, 2015, 03:04:50 PM
Looks like it's almost complete. The photo has some strange effects from being a panoramic photo, but otherwise it looks great. I'm loving all of the glass. From the Valparaiso University Alumni Facebook page:

Quote from: valpopal on June 22, 2015, 08:28:31 PM
Quote from: okinawatyphoon on June 22, 2015, 07:59:33 PMAny other opinions out there?

This might be an unpopular opinion, but my wife and I were at the chapel yesterday, and we discussed the appearance. Though we appreciate the practical valuable inside space provided, both of us felt there was a problem with the addition's contrast against the original structure. My wife remarked that the new space looked like a wing of an airport terminal. I had high hopes as the construction was happening; however, there is a good reason that historical districts do not permit additions to old structures unless the lines, design, and style are consistent. As an artist, I believe the aesthetics of the chapel addition are not coherent, and it seems like a contemporary growth that is inconsistent, detracting from classic grandeur of the original building. I'll give it some time, and maybe I will reconsider. Perhaps my opinion of this growth will grow as well.
Quote from: 78crusader on June 22, 2015, 09:53:57 PM

Paul

I am no architect, but it appears that from a distance, the designer was trying to tie together the curved windows of the two buildings.  I'm with '78 - where's the BRICK????

wh

Just took a leisurely drive around campus, and I have to say I have never seen the university look more beautiful than it does right now. With record amounts of rainfall we've been getting over the past few weeks, everything is green and lush, flowers and plants are beautiful, and grassy areas look like a golf course. Very impressive.

Also, I know this will leave some people wondering, but I really like the addition to the chapel. I agree with what others have said that it appears that they were trying to match the contrasting features of the chapel, not the look of the chapel itself. Black and gray are predominant colors with the dark windows and trim, similar to a lot of contrasting black and gray at the library right across the way. Notice the similarities:

I think it's a great blend of architectural styles. Then again, my wife won't even let me help pick out paint colors when we redecorate, so what do I know.  ;)

okinawatyphoon

First look inside from the Valpo Chapel Instagram page:

https://instagram.com/valpochapel/
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpopal

I had a meeting near the chapel today, so I stopped to snap this photo of the addition. This is the view visitors see when entering from I-30 and from the Welcome Center. I also walked through the interior, which looks fantastic and has a lot of useful spaces. To be honest though, I still see the addition as a mistake aesthetically since it hides and detracts from the great iconic classic architecture that represented the university in so many images for so long.

vu72

Beautiful picture, thanks for that!  As for the architecture, just take photos from the other side if you don't like the addition!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rink

That's the view coming in from I-30, eh?  Eek.  Maybe the pictures don't do it justice, but the juxtaposition is awful, it looks crowded, and it clashes.  Worse, 50% of the grand chapel structure is hidden from that angle.  Peek-a-boo, the chapel is back there somewhere, and it's only half the size it used to be.

Hope it's better in person.  In the picture, the new addition looks like an office building from the 1980s.  Not a fitting combo with the chapel.

crusadermoe

It looks ok.   The new addition looks bigger from the southwest lower meadow area than it does from the main entrance itself.   

The angle from the southwest did make me think of solider field and the flying saucer that landed on top of it.  At least this time they flying saucer had the decency to land next to it on the downward slope.

VULB#62

Good news on the Google Maps front.  The latest image include Beacon Hall, the new chapel addition, the new tennis building and the new track.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4627467,-87.0406805,335m/data=!3m1!1e3

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 18, 2015, 03:14:22 PM
Good news on the Google Maps front.  The latest image include Beacon Hall, the new chapel addition, the new tennis building and the new track.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4627467,-87.0406805,335m/data=!3m1!1e3
And a nice large parking lot/garage combo north of Brown Field for our SRO games!

Vale O. Paradise

The Valpo YouTube channel just posted a great short tour of the new building: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54L4CYXIVF4

vu72

Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on September 29, 2015, 11:38:16 AM
The Valpo YouTube channel just posted a great short tour of the new building: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54L4CYXIVF4

I was there at the dedication and had the chance to meet agibson!  A wonderful space that meshes well with the Chapel.  The whole campus never looked better.  Great things are going on there!!!!

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on September 29, 2015, 02:58:00 PMI was there at the dedication and had the chance to meet agibson!

Indeed, very good of you to pick me out in the crowd!  Was a pleasure to meet you.

historyman

Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on September 29, 2015, 11:38:16 AMThe Valpo YouTube channel just posted a great short tour of the new building: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54L4CYXIVF4

Apparently this video was removed from youtube by Valpo.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

We also found out yesterday that new seating is on the way for the Chapel.  It should be in place by Christmas Vespers.  They are being made by the same company who made them for Coventry Cathedral in England and made to appear the same because theirs were created mid-1990's (after the war damage)and thus will keep with the original architectural style as the Chapel, which was built in the same time period.  They will be individual seats but able to interlock.  The balcony will keep the current pews and pews will also be kept along the outside of the sanctuary for those who prefer this seating as well as families with small children. This change will also add 300 seating capacity.

I think this picture shows what they will look like:

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mbc010c5f3ec0c866374e8aed0f730bf0o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on October 12, 2015, 01:26:28 PM
We also found out yesterday that new seating is on the way for the Chapel.  It should be in place by Christmas Vespers.

Interesting! I'd heard murmurs that they were serious _this_ time, for real. But, this is the first I've heard a date.

FWalum

Quote from: agibson on October 12, 2015, 05:37:03 PMQuote from: vu72 on October 12, 2015, 02:26:28 PM

We also found out yesterday that new seating is on the way for the Chapel.  It should be in place by Christmas Vespers.
We also heard that at Homecoming.  Is seating really a problem at the chapel? Not sure why this is needed, many wondering why money would be spent on this since the pews are movable, perhaps not as flexible as individual seating and depending on the type (padded?) maybe a little more comfortable.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

crusader05

I believe that the issue relates to being able to do many configurations. The pews don't allow for a lot of flexibility even though they are movable while the seats provide more options and are much easier to move.  I believe I remember hearing that the pews are very heavy and difficult to move. My assumption is this is being funded by the donation so I can get why they wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to get something nice. Aesthetically they're not my favorite, but I understand the desire to move towards something that's a little easier in regards to set-up for different services.

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on October 13, 2015, 07:14:24 AM
I believe that the issue relates to being able to do many configurations. The pews don't allow for a lot of flexibility even though they are movable while the seats provide more options and are much easier to move.  I believe I remember hearing that the pews are very heavy and difficult to move. My assumption is this is being funded by the donation so I can get why they wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to get something nice. Aesthetically they're not my favorite, but I understand the desire to move towards something that's a little easier in regards to set-up for different services.

You hit it on the head.  The existing pews are 12 feet long and made of solid oak. It takes 4 men to move one. (this info was reported to us at our gathering on Sunday.) The pews are moved often as, for example, when there is an organ recital the pews are reversed.  The money is coming from donations made over the years specifically given for Chapel upkeep.

bbtds

I remember hearing at one time that there were a few incidents of the pews breaking from the weight of a large group sitting together. It was deemed necessary to avoid this at all costs. Also the point about the pews being extremely heavy. If you haven't noticed there have been fewer and fewer pews over the near 60 years of the Chapel and different configurations have been used to hide this fact.