• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA Seeding (Updated through 3/16)

Started by ValpoHoops, March 10, 2013, 02:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoHoops

Just trying to pull this all together in one place...I will update as the week goes on (I'll try to update as games end, as well as after ALL games are done for the day to get an accurate "end of day" RPI). Records are D1 games only.

I included the "majors" in here on the off chance that an awful team makes a crazy run.

Updated through all games on 3/16

Based strictly on RPI, there are currently 15 teams with "locked in" bids sitting below Valpo (Currently RPI #58) on the S-Curve, though several are very close. Remember, only auto bid teams will affect this number, all at-large teams will fall ahead of Valpo on the S-Curve. All teams remaining to play their championship games (4 conferences) would fall ahead of Valpo on the S-Curve.

There MAY still be a chance that we move up or down a slot as there are four teams between 56-62.

PREDICTION: 13 SEED

To earn a 12: Need to be ahead of 18 teams
To earn a 13: Need to be ahead of 14 teams
To earn a 14: Need to be ahead of 10 teams
To earn a 15: Need to be ahead of 6 teams

Conference
Championship Date
Auto Bid
RPI Rank

Mountain WestMarch 16New Mexico (29-5)2
Big EastMarch 16Louisville3
Big 12March 16Kansas (29-5)5
West CoastMarch 11Gonzaga (30-2)7
Conference USAMarch 16Memphis (30-4)12
Ohio ValleyMarch 10Belmont (24-6)17
Missouri ValleyMarch 10Creighton (27-7)25
MACMarch 16Akron (25-6)43
Pac 12March 16Oregon (26-8)47
PatriotMarch 13Bucknell (27-5)51
WACMarch 16New Mexico State (23-10)56
HorizonMarch 12Valparaiso (25-7)58
SouthernMarch 11Davidson (25-7)61
SummitMarch 12South Dakota State62
Big SkyMarch 16Montana (22-6)66
SouthlandMarch 16Northwestern State (19-8)79
Ivy LeagueN/AHarvard (18-9)93
Atlantic SunMarch 9Florida Gulf Coast (22-10)94
MAACMarch 11Iona (20-13)97
Big WestMarch 16Pacific (20-12)100
America EastMarch 16Albany (24-10)130
Sun BeltMarch 11Western Kentucky (19-15)150
NortheastMarch 12LIU-Brooklyn179
SWACMarch 16Southern (20-9)180
ColonialMarch 11James Madison (20-14)182
MEACMarch 16North Carolina A&T (18-16)213
Big SouthMarch 10Liberty (12-20)288
------------------------------------------------------------------
ACCMarch 17
(ESPN/12:00 PM)
Miami (FL)/North Carolina4/16
Atlantic 10March 17
(CBS/12:00 PM)
St. Louis/VCU21/24
SECMarch 17
(ABC/12:00 PM)
Florida/Mississippi6/50
Big TenMarch 17
(CBS/2:30 PM)
Ohio State/Wisconsin11/28

LaPorteAveApostle

Monday March 11
Southern   #1 Davidson (67) vs. #3 College of Charleston (131) 7 PM (ESPN2)   CUMONG COUGARZ!!!   
Colonial   #1 Northeastern (154) vs. #3 James Madison (190) 7 PM (NBC Sports)
Sun Belt   #4 Florida International (109) vs. #6 Western Kentucky (166) 7 PM (ESPN)      
WCC     #1 Gonzaga (10) vs. #2 St. Mary's (31) 9 PM (ESPN)
MAAC      #4 Iona (100) vs. #6 Manhattan (180) 9 PM (ESPN2)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

I found an amazing new site that will feed every seed junkie's habit until Selection Sunday:

Bracket Matrix.
http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

It was bound to happen.  The site cross-references at least NINETY-TWO HYPOTHETICAL BRACKETS and averages the seed.  You can even click on the top row and view each of them individually, but why would you want to? :)

Right now we are the lowest of the 13ths, at 13.38 average, but just .01 behind our new nemesis Mr. Stephen F. Austin.  Just a few upsets from a 12 seed! :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpocleveland

We need a couple upsets in the WAC. Denver, NM St, and L Tech all have comparable RPI's to us. There are a bunch of teams grouped together in the 50's and 60's in RPI including Denver, NM St, L Tech, Akron, Bucknell, and SF Austin. A couple of these teams have a "signature" win (SF @ Oklahoma, Akron vs. Midd Tenn St, Bucknell vs. LaSalle) but we don't have anything that sets us apart from the rest. I will continue to cheer for the upsets (Nebraska for the Big Ten Title!) but I think we end up a 13 when all is said and done. Honestly, if we are the highest 13 or the lowest 12 will it make a difference? We would still be in the 4/13, 5/12 pod of the bracket. We either have to beat a 4 or 5 in the opening round followed by a 5 or 4 in the second round.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpocleveland on March 13, 2013, 01:44:03 PM
Honestly, if we are the highest 13 or the lowest 12 will it make a difference? We would still be in the 4/13, 5/12 pod of the bracket. We either have to beat a 4 or 5 in the opening round followed by a 5 or 4 in the second round.

A valid question--not a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.  Imagine if, in 1998 we had played instead:
--also-4th seeded Maryland (we saw a year later how that turned out, albeit under different circumstances)
--also-4th seeded Michigan St (we saw two years later how that turned out, albeit under more different circumstances)
--5th seeded Syracuse or 4th seeded New Mexico?  No easy outs there.

It's going to come down to individual matchups, of course.

crusadermoe

That chart shows average seeds is awesome.   

If it predicts right, we get a #13 and a likely trip to Kansas City to play KState or Okla St.   

Ohio State in Dayton might be best draw for possible Valpo fan travel.     Please not Michigan.

StlVUFan

Prime time in Kansas City would be perfect for me.

a3uge

http://bracketmatrix.com/

OOFFFF got bumped down to a 14 seed with New Mexico St getting a 13 seed. Might need some help, but I believe there's still tons of room for help.

New Mexico St has to win twice.

Akron has to win twice without their best player.

Stephen F. Austin has to win twice.

So these teams have to go 6-0 for Valpo to be in danger of being a 14 seed.

LaPorteAveApostle

bmlvu97

Interesting that one of the blogs that has Valpo as a 12 has them playing Butler... very very interesting...

Brian
Brian M. Lenz
Valpo Class of 1997

SanityLost17

I am just going to reiterate what I said just before the home game against Detroit.  "If we win out, we are a 12 seed.  If we lose one, we are a 13 seed.  If we lose two, we are a 14 seed."   Well, we lost against Detroit, so we are GOING to be a 13 seed.  had we won that game we would have been a 12 seed. Had we lost at GB, we would have been a 14. 

crusadermoe

Last Lunardi bracket had us #13 in San Jose playing Arizona #4.    Wisconsin seeded #5 in same bracket.    That is a remotely possible for VU to the Sweet 16.

I would LOVE to see Wisconsin beat Indiana today and move up to a #4 so we could draw them.   They are slow enough for us to beat them.  Wisconsin might have risen to a #4 already after beating Michigan but doubtful.

a3uge

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 16, 2013, 12:55:41 PM
Last Lunardi bracket had us #13 in San Jose playing Arizona #4.    Wisconsin seeded #5 in same bracket.    That is a remotely possible for VU to the Sweet 16.

I would LOVE to see Wisconsin beat Indiana today and move up to a #4 so we could draw them.   They are slow enough for us to beat them.  Wisconsin might have risen to a #4 already after beating Michigan but doubtful.

Wisconsin is wright State but more over the top. They're the most painful boring team to watch and play very fundamental basketball. They are very beatable due to their poor offense, and they don't take advantage off forcing turnovers. They slow the game down and play excellent defense and limit their own mistakes.

talksalot

I was in Tempe when we played AZ in the dance... Tony Vilcinskis and gang going down in a blaze... in the last game of day 2... Not a fan of the placement geographically ... but I can't complain about the pairing... I believe Washington would be our last PAC 10/12 opponent...  I really hope Auburn Hills, Dayton or Lexington... and spousal permission...

ValpoHoops

Quote from: talksalot on March 16, 2013, 06:02:00 PMand spousal permission...

"...uh...I have to go see a man about a horse. See you in a few days!"
<JB runs out door to already running and packed car, throws it in reverse then screams down the street>

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 16, 2013, 07:14:54 PM"...uh...I have to go see a man about a horse. See you in a few days!"

literally laughing.  thank you.

crusadermoe

Lunardi now has Valpo in San Jose playing #4 Marquette.     

Other #4s are K-State, Michigan, and Wisconsin.      I got my wish for Wisconsin to beat the Hoosiers, now if we can just draw them for the first round........!

vuweathernerd

If anybody wants to chat about the seedlings or bracket in general, I'll be in the chat room during the show.

VULB#62

USAToday updated:

Valpo #14 (was #13) v. #3 Michigan -- Auburn Hills

NM State #13 v. #4 Marquette -- San Jose

« Last Edit: Today at 08:05:47 AM by VULB#62 »

humbleopinion

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 17, 2013, 09:00:59 AM
If anybody wants to chat about the seedlings or bracket in general, I'll be in the chat room during the show.

It's nice to know that someone else on the forum shares my dual interest of gardening and VU basketball. :thumbsup:
Beamin' Beacons

vuweathernerd

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 17, 2013, 09:37:37 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 17, 2013, 09:00:59 AM

It's nice to know that someone else on the forum shares my dual interest of gardening and VU basketball. :thumbsup:

Darn autocorrect. I didn't even see that... That's what I get for trying to post that from my iPad.

vu84v2

Would love to see Valpo play K-State in Kansas City (4 vs. 13).  It is realistic, though I could see SD State getting the matchup with K-State in Kansas City.  K-State is a far better matchup for Valpo than Michigan or Wisconsin.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 17, 2013, 09:55:59 AMWould love to see Valpo play K-State in Kansas City (4 vs. 13).

IN PRIME TIME
:thumbsup:

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 17, 2013, 09:37:37 AMIt's nice to know that someone else on the forum shares my dual interest of gardening and VU basketball.

THANK YOU so much for catching that.  my eye just autocorrected too.  my day has been made.