• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Football Head Coach announced

Started by T_$, December 10, 2013, 08:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: a3uge on December 11, 2013, 01:37:22 PM
Here's the original thread from the old board with the crappy proboards software: http://valpofans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=allsports&action=display&thread=4125&page=1
How could jj (setshot) be the first to not like the Carlson hiring?  Maybe we should listen to him more often.   

Nahh

a3uge

I made sure to have two distinct posts how I liked the move and how I didn't like the move so I'm covered - I'll just go back and delete the one that works out in a couple years.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LaPorteAveApostle

i know i shouldn't feed the troll, but how is this a nepotism hire again?

from the Gk nepos, grandfather, I believe.

And this guy isn't old enough to be a grandfather.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 11, 2013, 07:51:54 PM
i know i shouldn't feed the troll, but how is this a nepotism hire again?

from the Gk nepos, grandfather, I believe.

And this guy isn't old enough to be a grandfather.

Now I'm confused.  The guy who first posted it--setshot--is way old enough to be a grandfather.  His reference was pointed at the idea that the new football coach would require that his wife--clearly qualified for the women's tennis coaching position--would be hired as a package deal to entice the then to be named football coach to accept the opportunity.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

The wife:

http://www.lehighsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1525&path=wten

Tammy Cecchini is in her second season as an assistant coach with the Lehigh women's tennis program. Cecchini played collegiately at Penn State, where she was the Nittany Lions' No. 1 singles player for two-and-a-half years and was on the No. 1 doubles team for three seasons. A former Atlantic-10 Conference Freshman of the Year for the Nittany Lions, Cecchini served as team captain in her junior and senior seasons.

A native of Bloomington, Minnesota, Cecchini earned her bachelor's degree from Penn State in 1995 and added a MBA from Lehigh in 2002.

Cecchini and her husband Dave, the offensive coordinator for the Lehigh football team, have two sons, Evan and Will.

LEHIGH SPRING 2013 WOMEN'S TENNIS

CURRENT RECORD  5-15
OVERALL PCT  .250
CONF  2-4
PCT  .333
STREAK  L3
HOME  3-9
AWAY  1-5
NEUTRAL  1-1
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

original sin

Now the next big question is who is going to run the defense and special teams? Those IMO were the most glaring shortcomings.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 11, 2013, 07:51:54 PMthis guy
not "that guy", i.e. setshot.  a joke on Cecchini's age.

I think your interpretation makes at least some sense; however, since she doesn't yet have that, or any VU job, it seems (like most of those that "that guy" levels) baseless.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Quote from: original sin on December 12, 2013, 06:24:39 AM
Now the next big question is who is going to run the defense and special teams? Those IMO were the most glaring shortcomings.

In the "5 minutes with Coach Cecchini"  he addresses defense with a response I liked.  He did NOT say go out and get better players.  He did say that, although he has coached on the O side of the ball, he knows defense wins champoinships and he committed to bringing in a defensive coaching staff that will coach fundamentals and will have a unit that plays with intensity.

setshot

VUOR63

I have to echo VU LB #62.  Valpo does not lack the athletes.  Rather, the athletes lack the proper development.  It is one thing to recruit and it's another to develop that talent.  It's refreshing to see Coach Cecchini focus on putting a defensive staff together--it's an indicator that based on film, he saw a poorly coached group of great athletes.

Based on this piece of information alone, I'm calling 7 wins next season. 

valpotx

Quote from: VUOR63 on December 12, 2013, 10:15:16 AM
I have to echo VU LB #62.  Valpo does not lack the athletes.  Rather, the athletes lack the proper development.  It is one thing to recruit and it's another to develop that talent.  It's refreshing to see Coach Cecchini focus on putting a defensive staff together--it's an indicator that based on film, he saw a poorly coached group of great athletes.

Yep, this is very true.  It was the same for us in baseball pre-NCAA trips, in that they are getting similar athletes to what we had in our middle of the pack years, but the coaches are developing them better and making smarter decisions in-game. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

7? Are you crazy?

chef

Valpo has some good young athletes on defense (Green, Guilford, Cotton, Doepke), but they need more, especially with speed. There's one huge reason they gave up so many long touchdowns in the past few years - opposing offensive players ran right past us!

usc4valpo

Please quit giving setshot grief.  He was bang on correct about Carlson while many on the board over the years were saying great things and overforgiving.  You need a reality check to balance opinions.

BTW, this choice was well thought out and a step in the right direction.  Nice job MLB and way to apply lessons learned.

VUOR63

Quote from: a3uge on December 12, 2013, 12:39:55 PM

7? Are you crazy?

I'll let you know next November.   ;)

VU75

One concern might be his recruiting connections. The Lehigh recruiting base is Penn and New Jersey, their roster has a half dozen Ohio kids and one from Missouri but that it for the midwest. The rest all all eastern kids. Hopefully he has some one in mind to help recruit this area.

vu72

Quote from: VU75 on December 12, 2013, 08:51:50 PM
One concern might be his recruiting connections. The Lehigh recruiting base is Penn and New Jersey, their roster has a half dozen Ohio kids and one from Missouri but that it for the midwest. The rest all all eastern kids. Hopefully he has some one in mind to help recruit this area.

It is a reasonable concern and his plan to reach out to football alumni is certainly part of the answer.  Valpo's roster comes from probably 25 states so the national draw of Valpo has been strong.  It isn't so much where the kids come from but rather who can coach them to be all they can be.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

usc4valpo

My feeling is that recruiting will not be that big an issue.  I think Valpo has credibility where they can recruit some decent student athletes. I also believe some success will breed success.

I really think MLB thought through this decision and did his homework.  He does not want another Carlson fiasco, and this hire has better credentials and experience at a higher level than previous coaches in the past 20 years.

VULB#62

Cecchini brings one big factor to the recruiting "kitchen table discussion" -- demonstrated FCS success and experience.  Going back to the three previous coaches, I do not believe any of them had that attribute. Like TX said, it is similar to going out and hiring Woodson, a former major leaguer, to professionally build and run a really good program that develops its players. Coach Ceccini's credibility at the recruit's kitchen table, for the kind of recruit Valpo is after, can't be underestimated.  The national recruiting platform has been set already -- one improvement Carlson can be credited with.  The hold-over staff has been doing their due diligence, and now Cecchini adds to that with his network and his credibility.  So, maybe we don't lose the ones who, in previous years, got away.  Maybe we add a level of player that was out of our reach just last year.  And players' moms are gonna love the guy.

original sin

I believe that four wins would be a reasonable start. Anything above that is icing on the cake.

Lurking Dog

Here's a recruiting video from Kansas, where they've won a total of four games the past two years.  Your coach might want to borrow some of the message delivered in the first 1:45.  Also, I like Weis' quote, "I think, if you have anything burning inside, if you're a competitor by nature, this challenge fires you up. When everyone says no, you're saying yes. When everyone says you can't, you're saying you can. You now have to go prove it, and I'm going to make sure I'm here until the job is done."

The Vision - Kansas Football

vu72

Quote from: Lurking Dog on December 13, 2013, 10:01:28 AM
Here's a recruiting video from Kansas, where they've won a total of four games the past two years.  Your coach might want to borrow some of the message delivered in the first 1:45.  Also, I like Weis' quote, "I think, if you have anything burning inside, if you're a competitor by nature, this challenge fires you up. When everyone says no, you're saying yes. When everyone says you can't, you're saying you can. You now have to go prove it, and I'm going to make sure I'm here until the job is done."

The Vision - Kansas Football

Yep, he's a proven winner.  Just ask the folks down the road at ND.  Words, and quotes mean zero.  Action and success is what we need--and defense!!

Lurking Dog

Maybe my point was too subtle. 

This is how you craft a recruiting pitch in spite of a poor record.  Recruit the players and you can get to "action and success."

LaPorteAveApostle

How's that "decided schematic advantage" playing out there in the Big 12?  Pretty much like it did in the AACC (that's Almost Atlantic Coast Conference)?

Thought so.