• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #7 - Home vs. Drake Bulldogs

Started by VULB#62, October 11, 2014, 09:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Next up is Drake.  They pounded Davidson 51-14 today. But Valpo has had a history of playing Drake tough - especially at Brown Field.

Drake is 3-3 coming into Brown Field.  They opened the season suffering a 22-45 drubbing at the hands of National D-II power Grand View and then bounced back against NAIA Truman State 13-7.  They've lost to WIU and JU as well.

Common opponents:
Western Illinois -- Both lost:  Valpo 45-6, Drake 38-13
Marist -- Drake won 21-6;  Valpo lost 35-7 (Marist switched QBs for Valpo and their offense started to click and we killed ourselves)

PFL scores that might shed some light on possible opportunities:

Drake 51 Davidson 14 

Dayton 31 Marist 21

USD 31 Stetson 23 -- this is a bit surprising and says that maybe USD is not as good as the pre-season polls said they were.  It also says that in their second season, Stetson has greatly improved.

JU  45  Morehead 26 -- Morehead can score, no doubt about it -- they laid 42 on us last year and 76 the year before

UPSET OF THE WEEK:

Campbell 28 Butler 9 -- BU was not dominating in their win over D-III Wittenberg in OOC games and have lost to YSU (44-13), JU (35-7) and now Campbell.  Stetson scored 41 on them as Butler won by only 8.

usc4valpo

valpotx

If you haven't ever watched the game previews with Todd and Coach with the closed caption on, give it a shot :).  It is hilarious this time to see what cc comes up with.  It is exactly like those videos on NFL players mouthing something, but a voiceover giving a completely different take on what they are saying.

Valpo 21
Drake 35
"Don't mess with Texas"

78crusader

Drake 42
VU 10

We aren't there yet.  Paul

bbtds

covufan

On the right track, but lose this one as well.

Drake   31
Valpo    23

NuPudge

Will this game be streamed on Saturday and if so what the link.. This should be a great game for us to win..

bbtds

Quote from: NuPudge on October 15, 2014, 11:56:02 AM
Will this game be streamed on Saturday and if so what the link.. This should be a great game for us to win..

There is no indication that the game will be streamed at this time.

NuPudge

I don't understand, the alumni who attended there for years and supported the football program wants to still watch the game even if we live in another state. I will even pay for the game but allow me a option. Same old Valpo, not thinking outside the box.. New coach, new track, new facilities, new dorms, etc.. and same mindset about football.. So sad.

vusupporter

According to this story at the beginning of the season, it will be. http://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/news/2014-15/13828/valparaiso-announces-fall-hln-offerings-new-digital-presence/

Also, IIRC, the story with the link video typically doesn't appear until game day, since it's not something linked through the Horizon League site with football not being an HL sport.

Lurking Dog

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 11, 2014, 09:37:11 PMThey opened the season suffering a 22-45 drubbing at the hands of National D-II power Grand View and then bounced back against NAIA Truman State 13-7. 

Hello Crusader fans -

Grand View is actually the NAIA team (defending national champ).  Truman is a very average D-II.

Drake ran the ball over 60 times last week.  We'll see if that's a new trend.

valpotx

There is nothing here that indicates a lack of support for Valpo football, just because a game might not be streamed.  As mentioned by vusupporter, football is NOT a Horizon League sport.  The fact that we even have a few games on HLN for a non-Horizon League sport, shows that Valpo DOES support football.  What you should be saying is that the Pioneer Football League isn't supporting their teams, as there isn't a PFLN to deliver content.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Based on the last couple of weeks, I think the Pioneer football league and the Horizon, with collaboration with Valpo, could do a better job promoting their product. 

tx brought up a really good point last week during the broadcast - the Horizon league ads still included Butler and Loyola.  I sure hope at a national level that they do not use those anyone as it would be embarrassing!  I know the broadcast is on the web, and maybe a few hundred see it worldwide.  Nevertheless, they should not show those old Horizon league ads.  Show the Crusader mascot  walking around campus, show Ginger Zee and her pride for Valpo, but please quit showing archaic Horizon league ads.  Let's live in 2014.

Regarding the Pioneer league - who the heck knows. The website is awful.  I am sure the administrators of the league are not paid handsomely.  But I think the conference tries to meet a purpose, which is to gather a bunch a non-scholarship, "let's have football just as a part of our university portfolio" teams and place them together to face one another.  I am guessing the marketing budget for the PFL is very minimal.

bbtds

Valpo89

If you can't watch, I'll be tweeting some updates @pjankvalpo as I will be covering the game for The Times in the absence of Professor Oren.

VULB#62

At the quarter -- VU  6 - Drake 0.  VU had the wind.  We're playing them nose to nose so far.

VULB#62

Drake bobbled punt snap.  Valpo drove to 4 but holding call negated TD settled for FG.  Valpo 9 - Drake 0.

VULB#62

VULB#62

Lehman appears out with a head injury.  Staal in. 

Drake has managed a FG.  With 45 secs left it is VU 9 Drake 3.

At the half  9-3 Valpo.

valpotx

Defense is playing well so far, but the rain is obviously helping as well.

They fixed the HL ad to reflect current teams!  Also, the PFL Commissioner and MVFC Commissioner is the same person.  I believe that it is still Patty Vivierto (sp?).
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Start of the 4th.  Drake scores.  10-9

Valpo D starting to get worn down.

Staal 2/9 on passing so far.

valpotx

Staal is absolutely terrible.  If we end up losing, it is because Lehman got knocked out of the game, and we had to put in a QB who cannot throw.  We can also put it on our defensive subs, as we have now been caught twice with 12 men on the field in key situations, when Drake didn't make any subs.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

I mean seriously, quit throwing like a 5 year old!  Every pass is short or batted down by the defensive line
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"