• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ESPN bracketology

Started by oklahomamick, February 02, 2015, 08:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Murray State has an RPI of 67. They aren't getting an at-large. They should be wondering how they can go undefeated in league-play and not get an at-large... prompting them to join the Horizon.

oklahomamick

Still a 13 seed but now against Utah in Portland. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 08, 2015, 06:49:03 PM
Still a 13 seed but now against Utah in Portland. 

With Iona a 12, ahead of us.  Who are up against Manhattan in the finals, tomorrow.  Played them close both times.

a3uge

Furman just beat Mercer, so it looks like Wofford will have a cakewalk to win the SoCon. Furman's RPI is around 300 and they're 11-21.

I went looking for the worst team to ever make the tournament - funny Oakland's MidConn championship in 2005 showed up there. They finished 12-18... I looked on Wikipedia to find out what happened and I guess Oral Roberts just fell apart as the 1 seed. Also found this hilarious:

QuoteThe Golden Grizzlies had started the season 0–7, playing an extremely challenging schedule. At 12–18, they had the worst record of any qualifier to the NCAA Tournament. They would go on to win their play-in game against Alabama A&M, then lose to North Carolina in the first round. [1]

Some things never change. Oakland Grizzlies: 16 seed or bust.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on March 08, 2015, 09:50:26 PM
Furman just beat Mercer, so it looks like Wofford will have a cakewalk to win the SoCon. Furman's RPI is around 300 and they're 11-21.

I went looking for the worst team to ever make the tournament - funny Oakland's MidConn championship in 2005 showed up there. They finished 12-18... I looked on Wikipedia to find out what happened and I guess Oral Roberts just fell apart as the 1 seed. Also found this hilarious:

QuoteThe Golden Grizzlies had started the season 0–7, playing an extremely challenging schedule. At 12–18, they had the worst record of any qualifier to the NCAA Tournament. They would go on to win their play-in game against Alabama A&M, then lose to North Carolina in the first round. [1]

Some things never change. Oakland Grizzlies: 16 seed or bust.

Their first 7 opponents: Xavier, Illinois, Marquette, Texas A&M, Missouri, Kansas State and St. Louis. 

Wow, they've been selling their bodies forever.  ;)

a3uge

IUPUI was down 3 with 2.5 seconds left and in-bounded the ball under the basket for an easy lay-in. All 500 people in Sioux Falls then wondered what the heck they were doing watching IUPUI play Oral Roberts. Then I asked myself the same thing.

[tweet]574775722977460224[/tweet]

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on March 08, 2015, 09:50:26 PMI went looking for the worst team to ever make the tournament - funny Oakland's MidConn championship in 2005 showed up there. They finished 12-18... I looked on Wikipedia to find out what happened and I guess Oral Roberts just fell apart as the 1 seed. Also found this hilarious: Quote (selected) The Golden Grizzlies had started the season 0–7, playing an extremely challenging schedule. At 12–18, they had the worst record of any qualifier to the NCAA Tournament. They would go on to win their play-in game against Alabama A&M, then lose to North Carolina in the first round. [1]

I remember watching that game on TV and wishing I had stayed in Tulsa to watch ORU fall apart and cheer on Oakland. Rawle Marshall, I believe, hit a huge shot in the last few seconds to send Kampe and Oakland to their first NCAA tournament.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on March 08, 2015, 11:19:32 PM
and they did this?!

Went for the easy two when they needed 3?

covufan

Quote from: a3uge on March 08, 2015, 11:19:32 PM
IUPUI was down 3 with 2.5 seconds left and in-bounded the ball under the basket for an easy lay-in. All 500 people in Sioux Falls then wondered what the heck they were doing watching IUPUI play Oral Roberts. Then I asked myself the same thing.

[tweet]574775722977460224[/tweet]
Doh!

vusupporter

Quote from: historyman on March 09, 2015, 02:21:40 AM
Quote from: a3uge on March 08, 2015, 09:50:26 PMI went looking for the worst team to ever make the tournament - funny Oakland's MidConn championship in 2005 showed up there. They finished 12-18... I looked on Wikipedia to find out what happened and I guess Oral Roberts just fell apart as the 1 seed. Also found this hilarious: Quote (selected) The Golden Grizzlies had started the season 0–7, playing an extremely challenging schedule. At 12–18, they had the worst record of any qualifier to the NCAA Tournament. They would go on to win their play-in game against Alabama A&M, then lose to North Carolina in the first round. [1]

I remember watching that game on TV and wishing I had stayed in Tulsa to watch ORU fall apart and cheer on Oakland. Rawle Marshall, I believe, hit a huge shot in the last few seconds to send Kampe and Oakland to their first NCAA tournament.

Pierre Dukes.

a3uge

Don't know where to put this, but Oakland has a chance to finish above .500 this year:

[tweet]574998938455048192[/tweet]

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on March 09, 2015, 02:35:13 PM
Don't know where to put this, but Oakland has a chance to finish above .500 this year:

To _host_ a CIT game (putting up $$, some of the guarantee money, I guess), that is.

RPI 153, I guess that's the top half...

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on March 09, 2015, 02:35:13 PMDon't know where to put this, but Oakland has a chance to finish above .500 this year:
Good for them!  The more HL members in the post season the better!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Quote from: FWalum on March 09, 2015, 05:33:11 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 09, 2015, 02:35:13 PMDon't know where to put this, but Oakland has a chance to finish above .500 this year:

I think they could do some damage in the post season. 

oklahomamick

Congrats to Coach Driscoll and N. Florida for their bid into the NCAA.  I met him in the ATL airport over thanksgiving, nice guy.  Also nice enough to vote for us several times.   :thumbsup:
CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on March 09, 2015, 05:55:54 PM
Quote from: FWalum on March 09, 2015, 05:33:11 PM

I think they could do some damage in the post season. 

They've done more damage in these smaller postseason tourneys than we have.

vu72

Just listened to a report on line by Jerry Palm who predicted either GB or Valpo could win a game in the tournament and also said that if Valpo didn't win he could expect the same nashing of teeth by Valpo fans as would be coming from Murray State fans if we don't get a bid.  Then he finished by mentioning that Valpo beat Murray by 35!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

Now the seeding talks may officially commence!!!

crusadermoe

Yep, less fear of jinxing the team.     This is the best 5 days of the year when we get a bid.    Speculators unite!

historyman

Quote from: classof2014 on March 10, 2015, 09:39:08 PMNow the seeding talks may officially commence!!!
When should I plant seeds this year?

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on March 10, 2015, 09:39:08 PM
Now the seeding talks may officially commence!!!

We still don't look like a 12 to me.  But, here's hoping!

I'd be awfully disappointed by a 14.

valpotx

We should get a 12, but worst case scenario is a 13.  Either way, those are the seeds we want to have in order to pull an upset!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo4life

Up to a 12 according to Lunardi today against UNC.

agibson

Quote from: valpo4life on March 11, 2015, 09:47:37 AM
Up to a 12 according to Lunardi today against UNC.

Nice!  The Bracketmatrix sliding average has us edging closer to LA Tech, who Lunardi has us passing.  Most of the latest brackets actually seem to have us 12, but it's not clear that we'll get to keep that momentum.

classof2014

If the current Joe Lunardi's bracket was in fact our bracket I would be very happy.

We would be a 12 playing West Virginia in Jacksonville (KC would go up against his cousin, Jevon)

Winner would play winner of Louisville (4) vs GA State (13)

-Nova is the 1 seed, which to me is by far the worst of the 1 seeds.

Calling it now. Rematch between Michigan St and Valpo in the Elite Eight!

---Only if this were our bracket--- LOL