• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland @ Valpo - Sunday 2/8/15, 2PM CT

Started by covufan, February 06, 2015, 11:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Quote from: kerrywoodwins20 on February 08, 2015, 03:49:12 PM
The issue is you're biased. A 3-9 road team is a heavyweight? Where's the pride not to get swept by a lowly mediocre team like Oakland?
Quote from: mj on February 08, 2015, 03:46:51 PMI'm watching two heavyweights slug it out. Not sure what the issue is...

Nice try Grizz, you still lose.  At least you were having fun when you thought that you would pull this one out.

I will give credit that Petros finally had a decent game against Valpo.  Though 8 of his 16 points came because Vashil left him to give defensive help, he at least didn't look as panicked as he usually is against Valpo.

Seriously, someone needs to put together some footage of Vashil's SO year (really his FR year in college basketball) and compare to him now.  The dude just looks so much more confident and fluid on offense.  You can tell that the coaches have grilled into him that IF he dribbles, he needs to bend down, as many turnovers in year's past were because he stood straight up to dribble, giving defenders plenty of time to get a hand in there.  He follows everything, is a terror on D, how can you not love this guy (besides his FT issues over the last few games)?  He will be playing in a solid European league next season, and if he continues this improvement, there is no reason that he can't be a Brendan Haywood or Samuel Dalembert in the NBA.  Yes, I said it, and how can you deny it when he has played basketball for 6 years now and has shown that he keeps improving each game? 

I actually liked the American Sports Network broadcast, other than the aforementioned use of 'Northeast Indiana' several times, and butchering people's names. 

Felder, Daniels, and Hayes will be solid for Oakland over the next few seasons, just like we have some top players over the next 2-3 seasons already showing themselves (Peters, T Walker, Skara, etc).  Compare E Victor his first few games to now, and he looks a lot quicker!  His dribbling is getting better, and he is able to change momentum much better.  This is a great league. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

rink

Once it started getting late, I wonder why Oakland didn't employ the hack-a-Vash strategy more than that one time.  Fouling him off the ball seemed genius.  I fear we go to overtime or worse if they would have kept that up.

valporun

Probably didn't do "Hack-a-Vash" because Bryce kept subbing him out for Jubril? Can't hack a player who is on the bench...

covufan

oklahomamick

Petros played well.  His first good game against Valpo.  However, the first 8 minutes didn't look good for him as he turned the ball over.  I know he's a big body, but refs missed several over the back calls on his offensive rebounds.  He should have fouled out. 

I like the American Network.  I was able to hear Bryce and Kempe several times talking to the refs and added to the entertainment and excitement. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu84v2

The American Network was fine.  The feed was very good.

a3uge

I don't care who's announcing if the game is on actual TV in HD. Great not missing a chunk of the game because of the steam freezing.

valporun

I turned down the volume on my tv. The Abbott and Costello announce team was driving me crazy.

truth219

Give Oakland a lot of credit,  they were offensively effect. We are a deep team with talented men. I'm glad we won and think we have a good shot at green bay on friday.

humbleopinion

Quote from: rink on February 08, 2015, 04:11:08 PM
Once it started getting late, I wonder why Oakland didn't employ the hack-a-Vash strategy more than that one time.  Fouling him off the ball seemed genius.  I fear we go to overtime or worse if they would have kept that up.

One of my favorite moments of the game was watching Bryce yelling at Vashil to stand on the sideline at half court when Valpo had a possession with under a minute to go. 
Beamin' Beacons

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

Usually a high scoring game when it's Oakland and Valpo.  Complete opposite from the hand check CSU games. 

Good win, but if everyone holds their own at home and Oakland wins out including the last game at GB, they will host the tourney. 
CRUSADERS!!!

rink

Quote from: valporun on February 08, 2015, 04:15:10 PM
Probably didn't do "Hack-a-Vash" because Bryce kept subbing him out for Jubril? Can't hack a player who is on the bench...

That's not really what happened.  After Vashil missed the front end of his 1-and-1, Oakland went down court and turned the ball over.  Vashil was still on the floor, Oakland chose to foul Nickerson with the ball. Nickerson also missed the front end of his 1-and-1, so it didn't bite them.  After Nickerson missed, Oakland went down court and missed two three pointers, with Peters grabbing the rebound.  Vashil was still on the floor and Oakland chose to foul Peters with the ball.  There were still 37 seconds left, 4 point game.  They should have found a way to foul Vashil, even if it meant running off more clock.  Fouling Alec was the dagger, he hit both FTs.  Vashil was subbed out after Peters made his second.

Eventually, Bryce would have taken Vashil off the floor and/or one of the fouls would have been called intentional, so hack-a-Vash (off the ball) wouldn't have worked forever.  But until then, it was clearly their best option.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: rink on February 08, 2015, 04:44:43 PMhey should have found a way to foul Vashil, even if it meant running off more clock.
B...bb...bbbut i thought Kampe was the best coach in the WORLD
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

rink

I thought the ASN broadcast was good, not great.  I enjoyed the post-game coach and player interviews.  And them running the video segment about Valpo players going to Washington, IL to help with tornado damage.  At halftime, I liked the rundown of other mid-major news and notes.

Watching at home, I thought the ARC crowd sounded really tepid and quiet for such a close game.  Anyone else?

classof2014

This was a great game to watch. Very exciting, gotta give it to Oakland, they are a very strong team. We were just better than they were today. The difference in this game was our depth of talent we have. 6 players scored more than 10 points today, only 5 players scored for Oakland. If Hayes didn't have his big game and hit some unexpected 3s, we would have won by 10 or so. Gotta give them credit, they made plays, and the game was back-and-forth, literally through much of the game.

Seems like somebody new steps up every night today it was EVN and Skara, last game it was the Walkers, there's a reason why we've won 22 games already, we are a very strong and deep team. We should be getting KC back as well, which will just make us better. The athleticism we have is what sets us apart, EVN, Walker n' Walker can get to the rim at will, and Vashil is a monster on the defensive end.

HC

Vashil was sent to the far end at half court so that if he was fouled it would've been an intentional.

FWalum

Quote from: rink on February 08, 2015, 04:48:48 PMI thought the ASN broadcast was good, not great.  I enjoyed the post-game coach and player interviews. 
Did not get the post game interviews on DirecTV 665-1.  I was really interested in seeing them as they talked about them before going to the commercial break. No such luck.  Thought they might be on the ASN replay but also no such luck there either.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Pgmado

Quote from: rink on February 08, 2015, 04:48:48 PMWatching at home, I thought the ARC crowd sounded really tepid and quiet for such a close game.  Anyone else?

I was sitting in the ARC and I would agree with your assessment.

HC

Not many students...the community came out in good numbers. The noise and energy comes from the college kids though.

valpotx

Today's Valpo students suck in regards to fandom :).  We are 22-4 (9-2), and we couldn't even fill the student section???
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on February 08, 2015, 05:40:32 PM
Today's Valpo students suck in regards to fandom :).  We are 22-4 (9-2), and we couldn't even fill the student section???

Student section was at best 2/3 full, and that's probably being generous.  And the ones who were there sat on their hands most of the time.  They didn't even stand and wave their arms like they usually do to distract the other team when they were shooting FT's.  Then again, it was Oakland.  Maybe they were just trying to be "respectful."

valpotx

How about pgmado getting a "nah" answer from E regarding his not having a specific % that he feels health-wise, since he is moving quicker :lol:
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Can anyone answer the following question?  Kempe may have revealed the answer and I missed it.  Or someone may just understand his philosophy better than me. 

Why does Kempe redshirt a lot of players? 

7 out of 15 players on their roster are redshirts?  This is common in football but in basketball?  There is not a team in the HL that has that many redshirts. 
CRUSADERS!!!

rink

Quote from: HC on February 08, 2015, 05:08:07 PM
Vashil was sent to the far end at half court so that if he was fouled it would've been an intentional.

When they fouled Peters under the Oakland basket, Vashil was nearby.  I know I'm beating a dead horse, just trying to stand up for the accuracy of my original point.

Anyways, I'm sure I'm oversimplifying how difficult it is to subtly foul a guy away from the ball in the heat of the game.

GO VALPO